Thread: Louisiana forms it's own Open Carry advocacy organization

Post imported post

Starting an organization from scratch is no easy thing, especially when the group espouses an idea or activity that is not considered mainstream.

In the public eye, LOCAL is based upon an unusual and sometimes frightening concept and display. No one disagrees that to promote Open Carry is every bit an uphill battle. We face everything from indifference to panic from the general public, the possibility of outright hostility from law enforcement and government, and doubt and suspicion within the firearms community. We even face nay-sayers on this forum devoted to the promotion of Open Carry!

Other states have what appear to be strong groups devoted to the advocacy of Open Carry. MichiganOpenCarry.org is a good example of such. Does anyone think they started out that way? No. They started with a few guys with a common interest, who realized if they stood together, they could be a greater force in promoting their cause than they ever could as individuals.

How smooth was their road to where they are today, I don't know. No doubt they faced many of the same issues and challenges that LOCAL faces now. I have to hope though, that they didn't have to face the petty and spiteful bickering which seems to be the hallmark of the Louisiana forum on OCDO.

We have met the enemy and they are us. This is ridiculous.

The Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League was formed from discussions at informal OC meet-n-greets here in south Louisiana. In meeting and talking, we did come to that epiphany that, together, we could maybe be a stronger voice for promoting Open Carry and educating the public on it's legality in our state.

No sooner than the formation of LOCAL was announced, the attacks started here. Frankly, I was dumbfounded by that. Here we are, on a national forum dedicated to promoting the cause we all subscribe to, Open Carry of a sidearm, and we get negativity from some in the very community LOCAL can have the greatest benefit to.

I just don't get it.

If some don't want to support the organization, then don't. There's certainly no requirement toward anyone to participate in the group or even agree with it's policies or activities but why try and beat it down before it's started? You afraid of something?

We're new, we're small and we have a long row to hoe, but we will move forward in spite of those who would rather pooh pooh the efforts of others yet will ride the coattails of their accomplishments all the while.

The fledgling advocacy group that is LOCAL now meets on a monthly basis, have elected officers, established by-laws and are setting goals to work toward.
    LOCAL members wish to present a positive type of advocacy rather than an antagonistic one.
    The steps of LOCAL may be small and perhaps unsteady just now, but they are moving forward and will continue to do so in spite of the negativity and antagonism exhibited by some individuals on the Louisiana forum. They do not speak for the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Him: "I carry my gun concealed"
    Me: "You're not very good at it"
    Him: "What do you mean?"
    Me: "I know you have a gun"
    End of conversation.

Post imported post

Well said, turbo. Organization, set goals, a united front, and a positive front (no unnecessary antagonism) will work wonders.

Post imported post

turbodog wrote:
    LOCAL members wish to present a positive type of advocacy rather than an antagonistic one.
    That seems to be the key right there. Based on my observations, there seems to be a more outspoken minority here that will just never have the ability to wrap their minds around your concepts over there at LOCAL. Too bad too, but, keep up the GOOD fight, as, it's GOOD examples of gun owners that will triumph. The POOR ones will just have to continue to be jealous and confused.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Do you have an on-line site yet? Have not seen a link - something that will give an overview and can be bookmarked for future reference.

How does one get the information regarding membership?

Yata hey

Edited to add: Found it - that was easy.
    http://www.laopencarry.org/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Turbo - that was a most excellent post. Truer and more accurate words could not be typed.

To the others, I appreciate your vote of confidence in what we're trying to do at LOCAL.

Post imported post

Excellent post. I'm sure many here are with you - I know I am. I registered at the LOCAL website and am looking forward to helping in any way I can.

Please keep us informed of the date/time of the next meeting.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    SNIP How does one get the information regarding membership?
    Yes.Yes.Join them. In fact, being a bit of a start-up they need all the help they can get. You should move there and help them out. Right away.
    :P
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Just registered

Post imported post

Maybe a startup package can be shared with other locales in other states who do not have their own groups yet.

Congrats on the startup and good luck!

Rev. Jim

Post imported post

barf wrote:
    Please keep us informed of the date/time of the next meeting.
    It's always the same. First Wednesday of the month. Next meeting will be Febuary 3rd at 6:30pm at the Shoneys in Laplace on hwy 51 and I-10. Make plans to attend.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org