• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

gun purchase

Leelando

imported post

Seems like this sort of question comes up regularly. Being an FFL has forced me to research these laws, so even though this is more than what you asked for I'm going to give a more complete reply in hopes of answering future questions:

Dealers licensed in this state (FFL):
  • Can sell longguns to residents of any State, provided the purchaser is at least 18 years of age and all provisions of the Brady law are met.
  • Can sell handguns to residents of this State only, provided purchaser is at least 21 years of age, the laws of both States are complied with, and all provisions of the Brady law are met.
  • Can sell firearms to any FFL (regardless of State of residence).
Non-Licensed residents of this State:
  • Can buy longguns or handguns from FFLs licensed in this State, provided all provisions of the Brady law are met.
  • Can sell personal firearms to any FFL.
  • Can buy and sell personal firearms to non-licensed residents of this State only (just be sure you're not "engaged in the business of dealing in firearms" without an FFL--exact qualifying criteria left unspecified by ATF so good luck knowing when you hit the magic limit:) )
  • Cannot buy from or sell to non-licensed residents of any other State.
  • Cannot ship in interstate commerce, except to themselves or an FFL, a firearm that has otherwise been lawfully aquired; must, when shipping to themselves, declare the firearm to the commercial or contract carrier.
Non-Licensed residents from another State:
  • Can sell firearms to any FFL.
  • Can buy longguns only from FFLs licensed in the State, provided the laws of both States are complied with and all provisions of the Brady law are met.
  • Can order firearms from any FFL and have them shipped to an FFL in their State of residence in accordance with State and Federal law.
  • Cannot buy handguns.
  • Cannot buy or sell firearms to non-licensed individuals.

Note that substituting 'acquire' for 'buy' and 'dispose of' for 'sell' in the above would be more proper (since it may not be a sale). I wrote it up this way for readability.

So, final answer for your specific case is: "It depends on if you are trying to buy a longgun (yes) or handgun (no)".

Hope this helps!

Leelando

imported post

Thelukaskezik wrote:
can idaho residents buy guns in utah?
I know it's bad form for me to post again (right after my other post), but it just occurred to me that you didn't specify "legally purchase". ;)

Assuming you are not concerned with laws, I can tell you from personal experience that many people selling handguns on KSL have asked to see my cash and nothing else (no ID, no signing bill of sale, nothing). For all they knew, I was an out-of-state felon on the FBI's most wanted list...

PS. I'm obviously not advocating that you break the law.