• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When it comes to civil rights, hypocrisy abounds

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
Voting rights for convicts are more important than gun rights

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m1d8-When-it-comes-to-civil-rights-hypocrisy-abounds

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/y86noau

If felons can vote from behind bars, why can't rehabilitated citizens get their gun rights restored?

Interesting article.

Yeah, hyprocisy has run rampant in this country ever since it was created. If it didn't exist, it would imply a perfect world. At some point, every majordemographic of person in this country has had to fight for some kind of civil right or another, some more than others.

CarryOpen

imported post

I am also on-board with the idea that rehabilited offenders are REHABILITATED. If you are free, you are free. If you're dangerous, why did we let you on the streets?

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The only problem is, what is the definition of rehabilitated in the sense of serving time.

Are we saying, time served are rehabilitated, or felons that have gone through some type of program and does it extend to all prisoners on the State and Federal level or is this just for Federal offendors?

CarryOpen

imported post

For me it's pretty straight forward - if you've satisfied the orders of the court (served your time, completed any mandated parole/probation) then you should have all of your rights available to you.

imported post

The distinction should be made between 'civil rights' and 'Inalienable Rights.' Civil rights are a statutory creation (1965 to be exact) of the U.S. Congress for the benefit of minorities.

Civil rights laws were not passed to protect the rights of white men and do not apply to them. --Mary Frances Berry, Chairman, US Commission on Civil Rights
Most here possess Inalienable Rights which are ours as a matter of birth and bestowed upon us by our Creator. They cannot be regulated by any government and we cannot be separated from them by any act or legislation. They are in-a-lien-able.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ColMustard wrote:
The distinction should be made between 'civil rights' and 'Inalienable Rights.' Civil rights are a statutory creation (1965 to be exact) of the U.S. Congress for the benefit of minorities.

Civil rights laws were not passed to protect the rights of white men and do not apply to them. --Mary Frances Berry, Chairman, US Commission on Civil Rights
Most here possess Inalienable Rights which are ours as a matter of birth and bestowed upon us by our Creator. They cannot be regulated by any government and we cannot be separated from them by any act or legislation. They are in-a-lien-able.
Mary Berry from U-Penn got one part right, Civil Rights laws were not passed to protect the rights of white men. They were passed to to protect the rightsof all people, and they do apply accordingly. They are their to protect the fact that ALL citizens of the United States of America, regardless of what ever Creator one does or does not believe in, have Inalienable rights

NightOwl

imported post

I don't understand why felons don't have their rights returned when they're released anyway. I can understand suspending some of them when they're incarcerated (yeah, guns among the inmates, bad idea, got it), but when they're done with their time, their rights should be 100% back to what they were before.

Honestly, I'm finding myself glad about a 9th circuit ruling for once. If the prisoners can vote, then perhaps that's something that can be referred to for building a case to get their gun rights fully restored.

simmonsjoe

imported post

If someone cannot be trusted with firearms that they shouldn't be in the general public. Why? because it's easier to buy a gun illegally than legally.

I agree lowering the bar in order to make us all felons is wrong. Still I don't understand why anyone found guilty of violent rape or murder ever exits a prison alive. I think violent rape should be mandatory death/LWP I think 2nd degree murder should be mandatory death/LWP except for extenuating circumstances when the crime occurred. (I don't give a @#$% if you get sick in your old age)

Long term prison sentencing damages a persons psyche. I don't think long term imprisonment followed by release is intelligent. If you expect to release someone we should find better options, but still some form of indentured servitude. This would mean they would have some type of daily, yet restricted contact with the general public, supervised 100% of the time. They should still be productive members of society.

Before you get worked up over the term 'indentured servitude' understand that military service is a form of indentured servitude. Both enter into it voluntarily, military by volunteering outright, criminals by choosing to commit a crime. You lose rights to do many things or go where ever you choose, and are required to do work and be productive. Why is it OK for soldiers but not prisoners? get them off their asses.

Sorry if this is a hijack