Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a Glock

Post imported post

I have had my eye on a Glock 30, I am pretty sure that is what I want to get from the research I have done. I still need to get to a range and shoot one, just to make sure it feels right.

My question in about the Glock's lack of an external safety. Does anyone have thoughts on carrying a Glock, given this? I know it does not really come into play for UOC, but I am hoping that LOC will be legal within the next year or so. I think the 30 is a little big for CC, but seems like it would work if needed, I can always go get a Glock 27 or 36 later, if CC becomes shall issue.

Anyway, just a little concerned about the lack of an external safety on these buggers.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar

Post imported post

http://www.f-r-i.com/glock/misc/overview.htm#safeaction

The Glock, unlike most centerfire handguns, does not have a hammer which is dropped to push a firing pin when the trigger is pulled. Instead, the Glock has a striker which is completely enclosed within the slide. Whenever a round is in the chamber, the striker is partially retracted under tension. There isn't enough tension to fire the gun if for some reason the striker were forced forward from this position.
    Three Safeties

Glocks have three safeties: the trigger safety, the firing pin safety, and the drop safety. The safeties are redundant, keeping the Glock from discharging at any time unless the shooter pulls the trigger.

The trigger safety is a small button on the face of the trigger which keeps the trigger from moving backwards (and thus firing the weapon) unless pressed straight back during a normal pull. This helps keep the trigger from moving backwards when dropped or if something gets in the trigger guard.

The firing pin safety is a small device in the slide of the gun which blocks the striker from moving forward. This device is moved out of the way automatically when the trigger is pulled. So unless the trigger is pulled, there is no way the firing pin can strike the primer on a chambered round.

The drop safety is part of the trigger housing inside the receiver. It is a small "shelf" which a part of the trigger mechanism called the cruciform must overcome in order for the striker to release. Therefore, even if the trigger safety and firing pin safety malfunction and the gun is dropped, it cannot go off.
    So should you be worried? No. If you still have your doubts buy some blanks, load one up, and throw it around.

Post imported post

I am not worried about that. I have made myself familiar with the internal safeties on the glock.

What I am more worried about is accidentally pulling the trigger when I pull it out. This is not an issue on a 1911 as the trigger is locked by the safety. For a Glock, if you pull the trigger, it will fire. The other safeties ensure that the only way it will fire is if you pull the trigger.

I am sure this is just a matter of being aware of the issue, and training. I was just wondering if there was any opinions on that specific aspect of the glock, has it been an issue?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

The lack of a Glock's external safety is a point of contention with some people.

I carry a Glock 22C (.40 S&W compensated barrel and slide). I have a holster that covers the trigger. When I draw, my finger naturally lands on the trigger guard. I am sure you have, but maintain practice of keeping your finger off the trigger unless you intend to pull it. I will say, that the only way this gun will fire is by a deliberate pull of the trigger. It has the trigger safety (the lever that locks the trigger in place until you put your finger on it). If your finger is on the trigger but slightly to the side of the lever, it won't fire as you won't be able to pull the trigger back.

I think Glocks are perfectly fine guns to carry openly or concealed and as self defense weapons.

Imagine a double action revolver. Most of those don't have any kind of safety and they will only fire with a deliberate or accidental/direct pull of the trigger. I have never had the issue of accidentally pulling the trigger or the gun going off. It just doesn't work that way. There are three safeties built into this gun, it will be fine.

Like any other gun, even with safeties, glocks only have a problem due to misuse and carelessness. Train yourself heavily for ANY type of firearm, safety or not, and implant it in your brain that a firearm should always be checked before pulling the trigger (if your intent is not to fire a round such as when disabling them). Glocks must have there trigger pulled to disassemble the gun. Some people have been known not to check/clear the chamber before doing this have have fired their guns off accidentally. It is a simple step that should always be practiced with any gun.

If you want a Glock and you want an external safety, there is at least one option for you to check out and it is not a bad price to buy the kit: http://www.cominolli.com/

Post imported post

i carry a glock 22. i have never been in a fire fight, and ive never had to jump out of bed from a deep sleep and grab my gun. i dont know how i will react if the time comes, i do know that i dont have to worry about thumb/slide and grip safety with my glock. point and click, simple as that. the glock is also something my wife can pick up, rack, and again, point and click. im thinking about getting a revolver for the bedside so she has one less step to worry about. in a stressfull/hostile situation i want as little inturuption as possible.
    When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

Post imported post

Personally, I'm notmuchof glock fan (even though I own 3)

However, they are certainly as safe as any other gun provided you follow the standard rules of gun safety.

In particular, "Keep your booger picker off the bang switch unless youare readyto fire"

Additionally, I would point out that it is imperative to carry a chambered glock (or any safe-actionstyle firearm) using a holster which adequately ensures that nothing can get into the trigger guard.

Post imported post

Mechanical safeties cannot be relied upon. You cannot ever assume that a safety is engaged, or that it is ever disengaged. They can fail, and they can jam, and they can break. The only safety that can be relied upon is your own knowledge of safe firearm handling, and your training with that firearm.
    Do you want to enjoy liberty in your lifetime?

Consider moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

"Live Free or Die"

State Researcher

Post imported post

Rusty wrote:
    ...What I am more worried about is accidentally pulling the trigger when I pull it out. This is not an issue on a 1911 as the trigger is locked by the safety. For a Glock, if you pull the trigger, it will fire. The other safeties ensure that the only way it will fire is if you pull the trigger.

I am sure this is just a matter of being aware of the issue, and training. I was just wondering if there was any opinions on that specific aspect of the glock, has it been an issue?
    It doesn't matter what safeties a firearm has... your finger should NOT enter the trigger guard while drawing/holstering your firearm. It should NOT enter the trigger guard until you have decided to pull the trigger.

It's very easy to train yourself to draw/holster properly. Just practice, practice, practice - build that muscle memory. When the **** hits the fan, your muscle memory and training will take over. So, train like your life depends on it.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

I OC and CC a Glock 30 everyday. They are a great gun and I've never worried about the "safety" issue as I'm well versed in the mechanics of these firearms.

Keep your finger off the trigger and all will be well.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Post imported post

Rusty wrote:
    I am not worried about that. I have made myself familiar with the internal safeties on the glock.

What I am more worried about is accidentally pulling the trigger when I pull it out. This is not an issue on a 1911 as the trigger is locked by the safety. For a Glock, if you pull the trigger, it will fire. The other safeties ensure that the only way it will fire is if you pull the trigger.

It's unlikely this will ever happen, given the trigger pull required. After several sessions of an hour or so at the firing range, it's even less likely to happen.

My 9mm (not a Glock) has an external safety, but the only time it can even be engaged is with a round chambered and the hammer back! I normally keep a round chambered and the hammer down at all times so I can draw and fire without worrying about any dang safeties (like the Glock, it has internal safeties).

It's no more dangerous than any revolver in this state, and a darn sight safer than many of them due to the internal safeties which many revolvers still don't possess.

As for accidentally pulling the trigger while drawing, I was always taught to draw it with the bottom three fingers and the thumb, while keeping the index finger straight alongside the trigger and touching the right side of the trigger guard.

In this position, if there's any incentive to fire, your finger has no trouble whatsoever finding the trigger! But at least that's one last manual "safety" to prevent excess tension from resulting in an unintentional discharge.

As CA_Libertarian says, "build that muscle memory." When you get it, unload it. Verify it's unloaded, then draw and holster it again and again, slowly at first, ensuring proper finger placement.

Seriously - If you introduce an extra safety step (beyond the several already built in to modern semi-autos), in a firefight it's liable to loose you precious seconds while you're wondering why your gun isn't firing. That's one thing I really did NOT like about the 9mm Beretta I was issued in the service.

That's one thing I don't have to worry about with my current weapon.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Post imported post

Glock is an excellent choice. The SERPA level 2 holster is a great holster to train with to develop the proper "Finger on frame" discipline as the holster's release is actuated by your index finger. Thus when you clear the holster your finger goes right onto the frame. IMO, safety is less about the weapon and more about the operator's proficiency. Just my 2 cents.

Post imported post

glocks dont got no stinkin safties!! they are "interlocks"

safties keep guns from going off when you pull the trigger by accident!

interlocks only keep the gun from fireing when you dont hold them right (1911 grip safety) or drop them or pull on the trigger wrongly!

you cant turn off a glock when you lay it down...

ive got 2 safetys on my tanfoglio gt380....1st one stops any trigger pulling.....2nd one keeps the fireing pin from hitting the primer.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

I agree with Tekshogun's post. I have a serpa holster and like it because it automatically puts finger in proper position.

The only time you would have to really worry about Glocks lack of safety is when it is not in its holster. So be careful handling it and you are ok.

When I bought mine I was told by the shop, everyone in this shop carries glocks. That your safety is in your noggin and your finger.

I find it a fine reliable firearm.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

While I realize you are looking at a Glock, if the question about the Glock is safety. Glock is definitely considered one of the safer firearms around. However, if you would prefer additional safeties / interlocks, you may wish to take a look at a Springfield XD (XD9645). To my understanding, it is slightly longer, but basically the XD version of the Glock 30. But again, no external safety.

With the Glock or the XD, as every one has said many, many times in prior posts... practice is the key and getting that muscle memory in place such that you don't even have to think about it. Being familiar with your firearm (no matter what it is), is the most important thing to safety.

I have a Serpa holster for my 1911 (Kimber) and I love it, the retention does put your finger directly on the frame just by drawing. Always an option, but not a replacement for attaining muscle memory and lots of practice.

(editted to add Serpa holster info.)

Post imported post

Tuck it in your pants ghetto style and you'll likely end up shooting your pecker off. Get a holster that covers the trigger "safety".

Post imported post

Rusty wrote:

Your finger should never be on the trigger until you are on target and intend to shoot. The only safety issue with Glocks is reholstering. It is rare (especially with open carry holsters) but you can catch the trigger on something and have a discharge while reholstering. I like the XD's for this reason. If you can't keep your finger off the trigger then don't carry until you can. Once that is out of the way, you can decide if you can be diligent enough to mitigate the minimal risk getting your trigger caught on a foreign object.

Post imported post

If anyone doesn't want to carry their Glock, I have open space on my left.

Post imported post

Glocks are great guns. I just don't shoot will with them. Try shooting one first.

Post imported post

cato wrote:
    Glocks are great guns. I just don't shoot will with them. Try shooting one first.
    Who's will and why would you want to shoot him?

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Post imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
    cato wrote:
    Glocks are great guns.* I just don't shoot will with them.* Try shooting one first.
    Doesn't that also imply that other people are being shot?

Post imported post

Rugerp345 wrote:
    Tuck it in your pants ghetto style and you'll likely end up shooting your pecker off. Get a holster that covers the trigger "safety".

Actually ran that call several years ago. The little punk gang banger denied shooting himself. Threw the gun in the bushes before we got there and claimed that it was a drive-by. Problem with that story was that there were powder burns inside his pants and an imprint of the slide on his belly.

Post imported post

Diesel-n-Lead wrote:
    Rugerp345 wrote:
    Tuck it in your pants ghetto style and you'll likely end up shooting your pecker off.* Get a holster that covers the trigger "safety".
    Actually ran that call several years ago.* The little punk gang banger denied shooting himself.* Threw the gun in the bushes before we got there and claimed that it was a drive-by.* Problem with that story was that there were powder burns inside his pants and an imprint of the slide on his belly.*
    :what: LOL! I'm sure that story must have been rather amusing to hear.

Post imported post

Cameron wrote:
    sudden valley gunner wrote:
    cato wrote:
    Doesn't that also imply that other people are being shot?
    Good point.

Post imported post

inbox485 wrote:
    The only safety issue with Glocks is reholstering. It is rare (especially with open carry holsters) but you can catch the trigger on something and have a discharge while reholstering. I like the XD's for this reason. If you can't keep your finger off the trigger then don't carry until you can. Once that is out of the way, you can decide if you can be diligent enough to mitigate the minimal risk getting your trigger caught on a foreign object.
    Another safety issue with GLOCKs is that in order to field strip the gun you have to....pull the trigger first.

Everyone swears they will check (and recheck) the chamber of a GLOCK before dissassembly, of course. And they do--mostly. But replicate that disassembly step millions of times and at some point....BANG!

I remember seeing the pics of a guy on GlockTalk.com who blew a .45 caliber hole in the palm of his left hand after intentionally pulling the trigger of his unloaded G21 that he wanted to break down. Whoa, very insprirational. Nice guy. Experienced gun guy.

GLOCKs arefine guns. I own a few. A GLOCK with a laser is a great self-defense platform--home or carry.

Post imported post

that whole pull the trigger thing so that you can take apart your gun makes me cringe!

i have a star modelo super, and lots of guns are the same way, i dont do it, but if i want, i can strip down my gun with 1 in the pipe!

take that safety action designs!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast