• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying a Glock

Rusty

imported post

I have had my eye on a Glock 30, I am pretty sure that is what I want to get from the research I have done. I still need to get to a range and shoot one, just to make sure it feels right.

My question in about the Glock's lack of an external safety. Does anyone have thoughts on carrying a Glock, given this? I know it does not really come into play for UOC, but I am hoping that LOC will be legal within the next year or so. I think the 30 is a little big for CC, but seems like it would work if needed, I can always go get a Glock 27 or 36 later, if CC becomes shall issue.

Anyway, just a little concerned about the lack of an external safety on these buggers.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

http://www.f-r-i.com/glock/misc/overview.htm#safeaction

The Glock, unlike most centerfire handguns, does not have a hammer which is dropped to push a firing pin when the trigger is pulled. Instead, the Glock has a striker which is completely enclosed within the slide. Whenever a round is in the chamber, the striker is partially retracted under tension. There isn't enough tension to fire the gun if for some reason the striker were forced forward from this position.
Three Safeties

Glocks have three safeties: the trigger safety, the firing pin safety, and the drop safety. The safeties are redundant, keeping the Glock from discharging at any time unless the shooter pulls the trigger.

The trigger safety is a small button on the face of the trigger which keeps the trigger from moving backwards (and thus firing the weapon) unless pressed straight back during a normal pull. This helps keep the trigger from moving backwards when dropped or if something gets in the trigger guard.

The firing pin safety is a small device in the slide of the gun which blocks the striker from moving forward. This device is moved out of the way automatically when the trigger is pulled. So unless the trigger is pulled, there is no way the firing pin can strike the primer on a chambered round.

The drop safety is part of the trigger housing inside the receiver. It is a small "shelf" which a part of the trigger mechanism called the cruciform must overcome in order for the striker to release. Therefore, even if the trigger safety and firing pin safety malfunction and the gun is dropped, it cannot go off.
So should you be worried? No. If you still have your doubts buy some blanks, load one up, and throw it around.

Rusty

imported post

I am not worried about that. I have made myself familiar with the internal safeties on the glock.

What I am more worried about is accidentally pulling the trigger when I pull it out. This is not an issue on a 1911 as the trigger is locked by the safety. For a Glock, if you pull the trigger, it will fire. The other safeties ensure that the only way it will fire is if you pull the trigger.

I am sure this is just a matter of being aware of the issue, and training. I was just wondering if there was any opinions on that specific aspect of the glock, has it been an issue?

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The lack of a Glock's external safety is a point of contention with some people.

I carry a Glock 22C (.40 S&W compensated barrel and slide). I have a holster that covers the trigger. When I draw, my finger naturally lands on the trigger guard. I am sure you have, but maintain practice of keeping your finger off the trigger unless you intend to pull it. I will say, that the only way this gun will fire is by a deliberate pull of the trigger. It has the trigger safety (the lever that locks the trigger in place until you put your finger on it). If your finger is on the trigger but slightly to the side of the lever, it won't fire as you won't be able to pull the trigger back.

I think Glocks are perfectly fine guns to carry openly or concealed and as self defense weapons.

Imagine a double action revolver. Most of those don't have any kind of safety and they will only fire with a deliberate or accidental/direct pull of the trigger. I have never had the issue of accidentally pulling the trigger or the gun going off. It just doesn't work that way. There are three safeties built into this gun, it will be fine.

Like any other gun, even with safeties, glocks only have a problem due to misuse and carelessness. Train yourself heavily for ANY type of firearm, safety or not, and implant it in your brain that a firearm should always be checked before pulling the trigger (if your intent is not to fire a round such as when disabling them). Glocks must have there trigger pulled to disassemble the gun. Some people have been known not to check/clear the chamber before doing this have have fired their guns off accidentally. It is a simple step that should always be practiced with any gun.

If you want a Glock and you want an external safety, there is at least one option for you to check out and it is not a bad price to buy the kit: http://www.cominolli.com/

dirtykoala

imported post

i carry a glock 22. i have never been in a fire fight, and ive never had to jump out of bed from a deep sleep and grab my gun. i dont know how i will react if the time comes, i do know that i dont have to worry about thumb/slide and grip safety with my glock. point and click, simple as that. the glock is also something my wife can pick up, rack, and again, point and click. im thinking about getting a revolver for the bedside so she has one less step to worry about. in a stressfull/hostile situation i want as little inturuption as possible.

mjones

imported post

Personally, I'm notmuchof glock fan (even though I own 3)

However, they are certainly as safe as any other gun provided you follow the standard rules of gun safety.

In particular, "Keep your booger picker off the bang switch unless youare readyto fire"

Additionally, I would point out that it is imperative to carry a chambered glock (or any safe-actionstyle firearm) using a holster which adequately ensures that nothing can get into the trigger guard.

wewd

imported post

Mechanical safeties cannot be relied upon. You cannot ever assume that a safety is engaged, or that it is ever disengaged. They can fail, and they can jam, and they can break. The only safety that can be relied upon is your own knowledge of safe firearm handling, and your training with that firearm.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Rusty wrote:
...What I am more worried about is accidentally pulling the trigger when I pull it out. This is not an issue on a 1911 as the trigger is locked by the safety. For a Glock, if you pull the trigger, it will fire. The other safeties ensure that the only way it will fire is if you pull the trigger.

I am sure this is just a matter of being aware of the issue, and training. I was just wondering if there was any opinions on that specific aspect of the glock, has it been an issue?
It doesn't matter what safeties a firearm has... your finger should NOT enter the trigger guard while drawing/holstering your firearm. It should NOT enter the trigger guard until you have decided to pull the trigger.

It's very easy to train yourself to draw/holster properly. Just practice, practice, practice - build that muscle memory. When the shit hits the fan, your muscle memory and training will take over. So, train like your life depends on it.

kenpoprofessor

imported post

I OC and CC a Glock 30 everyday. They are a great gun and I've never worried about the "safety" issue as I'm well versed in the mechanics of these firearms.

Keep your finger off the trigger and all will be well.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Rusty wrote:
I am not worried about that. I have made myself familiar with the internal safeties on the glock.

What I am more worried about is accidentally pulling the trigger when I pull it out. This is not an issue on a 1911 as the trigger is locked by the safety. For a Glock, if you pull the trigger, it will fire. The other safeties ensure that the only way it will fire is if you pull the trigger.

It's unlikely this will ever happen, given the trigger pull required. After several sessions of an hour or so at the firing range, it's even less likely to happen.

My 9mm (not a Glock) has an external safety, but the only time it can even be engaged is with a round chambered and the hammer back! I normally keep a round chambered and the hammer down at all times so I can draw and fire without worrying about any dang safeties (like the Glock, it has internal safeties).

It's no more dangerous than any revolver in this state, and a darn sight safer than many of them due to the internal safeties which many revolvers still don't possess.

As for accidentally pulling the trigger while drawing, I was always taught to draw it with the bottom three fingers and the thumb, while keeping the index finger straight alongside the trigger and touching the right side of the trigger guard.

In this position, if there's any incentive to fire, your finger has no trouble whatsoever finding the trigger! But at least that's one last manual "safety" to prevent excess tension from resulting in an unintentional discharge.

As CA_Libertarian says, "build that muscle memory." When you get it, unload it. Verify it's unloaded, then draw and holster it again and again, slowly at first, ensuring proper finger placement.

Seriously - If you introduce an extra safety step (beyond the several already built in to modern semi-autos), in a firefight it's liable to loose you precious seconds while you're wondering why your gun isn't firing. That's one thing I really did NOT like about the 9mm Beretta I was issued in the service.

That's one thing I don't have to worry about with my current weapon. :)

Diesel-n-Lead

imported post

Glock is an excellent choice. The SERPA level 2 holster is a great holster to train with to develop the proper "Finger on frame" discipline as the holster's release is actuated by your index finger. Thus when you clear the holster your finger goes right onto the frame. IMO, safety is less about the weapon and more about the operator's proficiency. Just my 2 cents.

1245A Defender

imported post

glocks dont got no stinkin safties!! they are "interlocks"

safties keep guns from going off when you pull the trigger by accident!

interlocks only keep the gun from fireing when you dont hold them right (1911 grip safety) or drop them or pull on the trigger wrongly!

you cant turn off a glock when you lay it down...

ive got 2 safetys on my tanfoglio gt380....1st one stops any trigger pulling.....2nd one keeps the fireing pin from hitting the primer.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I agree with Tekshogun's post. I have a serpa holster and like it because it automatically puts finger in proper position.

The only time you would have to really worry about Glocks lack of safety is when it is not in its holster. So be careful handling it and you are ok.

When I bought mine I was told by the shop, everyone in this shop carries glocks. That your safety is in your noggin and your finger.

I find it a fine reliable firearm.

Cameron

imported post

While I realize you are looking at a Glock, if the question about the Glock is safety. Glock is definitely considered one of the safer firearms around. However, if you would prefer additional safeties / interlocks, you may wish to take a look at a Springfield XD (XD9645). To my understanding, it is slightly longer, but basically the XD version of the Glock 30. But again, no external safety.

With the Glock or the XD, as every one has said many, many times in prior posts... practice is the key and getting that muscle memory in place such that you don't even have to think about it. Being familiar with your firearm (no matter what it is), is the most important thing to safety.

I have a Serpa holster for my 1911 (Kimber) and I love it, the retention does put your finger directly on the frame just by drawing. Always an option, but not a replacement for attaining muscle memory and lots of practice.

(editted to add Serpa holster info.)

inbox485

imported post

Rusty wrote:

Your finger should never be on the trigger until you are on target and intend to shoot. The only safety issue with Glocks is reholstering. It is rare (especially with open carry holsters) but you can catch the trigger on something and have a discharge while reholstering. I like the XD's for this reason. If you can't keep your finger off the trigger then don't carry until you can. Once that is out of the way, you can decide if you can be diligent enough to mitigate the minimal risk getting your trigger caught on a foreign object.