Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: Do I really want to carry?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    Posts
    120

    Post imported post

    Well, today was going fine up until 3:07 PM when all hell broke loose. I pulled onto the Dulles Toll Road and went all the way left with a signal and sped up and then slowed down when traffic appeared over the crest.

    Suddenly I have a car scream up next to me and honking their horn, it was a police officer in an unmarked car who seemed very upset and signaled to pull over. He quickly got behind me and put his lights on.

    Trooper Koehler comes over to the passenger side window which surprised me a bit and he quickly tells me, "Im gonna write you up for doing 100 and if I get any lip you are going straight to jail.". A muttered, "OK, but I wasn't going that fast." and he just ignored what I had to say and walked back to his car. I was astonished at the what he just said and what he threatened me with and his lack of professionalism.

    He came back with a ticket saying "Reckless 99/55" and a second for the radar detector (Im from MD).

    This makes me think how badly it would have been if I had been carrying a firearm. How badly would my head be bashed in? Would I have been thrown out into traffic, beaten and then run over? What would have happened?

    This just makes me think whether or not I should open carry.

    Ill be posting a video soon.

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    OK. Don't open carry. Its not required, you know.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    Posts
    120

    Post imported post

    Citizen wrote:
    OK. Don't open carry. Its not required, you know.
    Not what I was getting at.

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    eddyys wrote:
    Ill be posting a video soon.
    Was it Fairfax County? Loudoun County? State? MWAA?

    How do you have VIDEO?

    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    Posts
    120

    Post imported post

    ed wrote:
    eddyys wrote:
    Ill be posting a video soon.
    Was it Fairfax County? Loudoun County? State? MWAA?

    How do you have VIDEO?
    State and FOIA

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    27

    Post imported post

    Capt. curious here. Video? Did he give you the ticket? Did he have radar? Were you on long enoughfor you not to see him pace you? Seems like there should be a little more to this post.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    Posts
    120

    Post imported post

    ORCGUY wrote:
    Capt. curious here. Video? Did he give you the ticket? Did he have radar? Were you on long enoughfor you not to see him pace you? Seems like there should be a little more to this post.
    Sorry I am a bit tired and had a long day at work trying to get the mesh network in the office working again.

    Video: He had a dash cam... and through FOIA I can get it.

    Did he give you the ticket? Yes, 99 in a 55 which is a blatant lie.

    Did he have radar? If he did radar me I would have known. A 40 dollar ticket is better than a 500 dollar one now isn't it.

    Were you on long enoughfor you not to see him pace you? He didn't pace me. He just sped up and decided the maximum before I go to jail would be the right speed for me.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    700

    Post imported post

    eddyys wrote:
    Jenn wrote:
    Cops just carry around drugs now as a possible out if the situation gets too stressful for them?

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    statement retracted until I can find the cite

    As for going to jail, if you had in fact been going 100 then it's a perfectly legit threat.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    You're right. You shouldn't have carried there since the toll road prohibits it.

    As for going to jail, if you had in fact been going 100 then it's a perfectly legit threat.
    The toll road prohibits carrying? Do you have a reference? I travel it all the time and need to know.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    McLean
    Posts
    10

    Post imported post

    gkp200 wrote:
    nova wrote:
    You're right. You shouldn't have carried there since the toll road prohibits it.

    As for going to jail, if you had in fact been going 100 then it's a perfectly legit threat.
    The toll road prohibits carrying?* Do you have a reference?* I travel it all the time and need to know.
    What are the rules for Dulles toll road? I looked on the web, and found this 2004 article http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Oct6.html

    I travel on the toll road all the time, but not to the airport.

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    gkp200 wrote:
    nova wrote:
    You're right. You shouldn't have carried there since the toll road prohibits it.

    As for going to jail, if you had in fact been going 100 then it's a perfectly legit threat.
    The toll road prohibits carrying?* Do you have a reference?* I travel it all the time and need to know.
    I too am unaware of any carry restriction on the toll road, but there is a lot more to look at here.

    First, all of this speculation at the extremes of what might have happened and planting of drugs, throwing people into traffic is just unproductive crap. Noe of that actually happened. We have an incident here that has ACTUAL acts that DID occur and people should keep their eye on the ball to assist this guy.

    Anytime firearms are involved a lot of things CAN happen, but rarely do. In fact a firearm can just as often produce a calming effect on the situation as it might an exacerbation of bad things. In this case the LEO will be hard pressed to make his case in court. The cited violation is reckless driving in Virginia, but even if the LEO had cited you for what you admitted to in your OP it would still be Reckless driving because is includes 20 or more over the limit.

    But what you need to do is FOIA the radar records for the LEOs car for the certification dates (even if you do not think he used it), and get the calibration records for his Odometer. If it was snowing when this happened that is in your favor in so far as Radar is concerned.

    Go back and edit your posts here to eliminate your admissions as to the actual speeds you were going, as it is unlikely that you actually know this information and you do have a right not to provide information that will incriminate yourself.

    The get ready to go to court. Get a lawyer now.

    Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    gkp200 wrote:
    nova wrote:
    You're right. You shouldn't have carried there since the toll road prohibits it.

    As for going to jail, if you had in fact been going 100 then it's a perfectly legit threat.
    The toll road prohibits carrying? Do you have a reference? I travel it all the time and need to know.
    I'll see if I can find it. I remember reading it here on OCDO a while back though. Perhaps it was an opinion rather than a citation I read and I forgot.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    Posts
    120

    Post imported post

    Hawkflyer wrote:
    gkp200 wrote:
    nova wrote:
    You're right. You shouldn't have carried there since the toll road prohibits it.

    As for going to jail, if you had in fact been going 100 then it's a perfectly legit threat.
    The toll road prohibits carrying? Do you have a reference? I travel it all the time and need to know.
    I too am unaware of any carry restriction on the toll road, but there is a lot more to look at here.

    First, all of this speculation at the extremes of what might have happened and planting of drugs, throwing people into traffic is just unproductive crap. Noe of that actually happened. We have an incident here that has ACTUAL acts that DID occur and people should keep their eye on the ball to assist this guy.

    Anytime firearms are involved a lot of things CAN happen, but rarely do. In fact a firearm can just as often produce a calming effect on the situation as it might an exacerbation of bad things. In this case the LEO will be hard pressed to make his case in court.

    But what you need to do is FOIA the radar records for the LEOs car for the certification dates (even if you do not think he used it), and get the calibration records for his Odometer. If it was snowing when this happened that is in your favor in so far as Radar is concerned.

    Go back and edit your posts here to eliminate your admissions as to the actual speeds you were going, as it is unlikely that you actually know this information and you do have a right not to provide information that will incriminate yourself.

    The get ready to go to court. Get a lawyer now.

    Regards
    Thanks, as for the FOIA request I only requested the video but I will make sure to request the radar and calibration records.

    As for lawyers, I got 3 who all said they look forward to eating this trooper.

    As far as carrying on the Dulles Toll Road, it is a state patrolled highway so I am pretty sure state laws apply to it.


  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    I carry on the toll road and at (not in) the airport all the time. The MWAA "used" to have innacuate information out there so I wrote the chief of police and they corrected the information and responded to be with a letter that I shared with VCDL and they posted it here: http://www.vcdl.org/letters/mwaa2008.pdf

    Ed
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  16. #16
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    eddyys wrote:
    ...SNIP
    Thanks, as for the FOIA request I only requested the video but I will make sure to request the radar and calibration records.*

    As for lawyers, I got 3 who all said they look forward to eating this trooper.

    As far as carrying on the Dulles Toll Road, it is a state patrolled highway so I am pretty sure state laws apply to it.
    No problem, but now you need to remove the speed reference from your quote of my original post. I should not have put it in there myself and removed it from my original. Sorry of the oversight.

    Clearly this guy got ticked off at you for some reason that is not related to speeding, but speeding is all he could think of to cite you for.

    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  17. #17
    Lone Star Veteran DrMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,553

    Post imported post

    eddyys wrote:
    As for lawyers, I got 3 who all said they look forward to eating this trooper.
    How do your lawyers feel about you discussing your case online here?



  18. #18
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    Hawkflyer wrote:
    gkp200 wrote:
    nova wrote:
    Y
    But what you need to do is FOIA the radar records for the LEOs car for the certification dates (even if you do not think he used it), and get the calibration records for his Odometer. If it was snowing when this happened that is in your favor in so far as Radar is concerned.

    Go back and edit your posts here to eliminate your admissions as to the actual speeds you were going, as it is unlikely that you actually know this information and you do have a right not to provide information that will incriminate yourself.

    The get ready to go to court. Get a lawyer now.

    Regards
    Do NOT FOIA the radar records. Ask when it was certified IN COURT. THen ask if he was present at the certification. Then ask to SEE the certification.

    A lot of times, they don't bring them. If he doesn't have it, the radar is inadmissible.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    ., ,
    Posts
    276

    Post imported post

    .

  20. #20
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    Bill in VA wrote:
    eddyys wrote: T
    Finally, you (and Curtis, another recently-joined poster)claimed rather spuriously that police plant drugs on innocent people all the time.
    Bill, Im not getting into the drug planting issue, I'd like to let you know that Curtis is a long time and well respected OC'er and poster here. I do think he had to re-register for some reason, but he's hardly a newbie.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    28

    Post imported post

    Jenn wrote:
    If you had argued with him I bet he would have thrown you into traffic and sprinkled somecrack on you. Some cops think they can get away with anything.
    Jenn, i'm going to assume you have properly introduced yourself with adequate greetings and salutations! If not, then surely you will be steem rolled by the loquacious asteemed people here on OCDO!! Your number of posts has raised serious suspicion that you must be a TROLL! lol

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    700

    Post imported post

    Bill in VA wrote:
    eddyys wrote:
    Sorry I am a bit tired and had a long day at work trying to get the mesh network in the office working again.

    Video: He had a dash cam... and through FOIA I can get it.

    Did he give you the ticket? Yes, 99 in a 55 which is a blatant lie.

    Did he have radar? If he did radar me I would have known. A 40 dollar ticket is better than a 500 dollar one now isn't it.

    Were you on long enoughfor you not to see him pace you? He didn't pace me. He just sped up and decided the maximum before I go to jail would be the right speed for me.
    There are some things here that aren't quite adding up. First you said you were driving 75 in a 55 and then that information is deleted after you edited your post. (Yes, I saw Hawkflyer's comment about you removing it but the fact that you posted your initially-claimed speed of 75/55 wouldn't have any negative bearing on your charges unless you're argument is you never exceeded the speed at all; as it stands now, claiming you were doing 75 instead of 99 would likely aid your plea. But I digress...)You're claiming you were given a citation for driving 99 in a 55. Were not also cited for reckless driving? § 46.2-862 defines an automatic reckless driving as either A) twenty mph above the speed limit of B) anything in excess of 80 mph. Certainly either claim you made,75/55 and 99/55, constitute reckless driving. You're also claiming you don't know whether or not the officer determined your speed via radar, pacing, etc... It's been a while since I receied a speeding ticket but IIRC the ticket says how fast you were going and how your speed was determined.



    Finally, you (and Curtis, another recently-joined poster)claimed rather spuriously that police plant drugs on innocent people all the time. How about giving us a cite on this? What court cases can you provide that this happens "all the time", or even frequently? Can you give us any demonstrable evidence that police not only do this on a regular basis, but also get away with it on a regular basis?

    Curtis wrote:
    eddyys wrote:
    Getting drugs planted on you is never fun and it happens all the time.
    Cops just carry around drugs now as a possible out if the situation gets too stressful for them?
    I strongly suggest you go back and reread what I wrote and see if you detect any hint of skepticism in it ( while you're looking for a hint, here's a hint: the biggest clues are the way I phrased it and the fact that I posed it in question form) before you claim to know what you might think I am so spuriously claiming.

    I'll thank you in advance for recognition of your mistake.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    28

    Post imported post

    eddyys wrote:
    ORCGUY wrote:
    Capt. curious here. Video? Did he give you the ticket? Did he have radar? Were you on long enoughfor you not to see him pace you? Seems like there should be a little more to this post.
    Sorry I am a bit tired and had a long day at work trying to get the mesh network in the office working again.

    Video: He had a dash cam... and through FOIA I can get it.

    Did he give you the ticket? Yes, 99 in a 55 which is a blatant lie.

    Did he have radar? If he did radar me I would have known. A 40 dollar ticket is better than a 500 dollar one now isn't it.

    Were you on long enoughfor you not to see him pace you? He didn't pace me. He just sped up and decided the maximum before I go to jail would be the right speed for me.
    Sir if you would be so kind and bold, state for us just how fast were you going?

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richmond Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    636

    Post imported post

    In this situation the officer had the option of writing you fro reckless or speeding. Most will choose speeding because too many times reckless can be argued down and you end up with an equipment violation or something with less points. Speeding is speeding and takes more proof to prove an equipment issue.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    28

    Post imported post

    Curtis wrote:
    Bill in VA wrote:
    eddyys wrote:
    Sorry I am a bit tired and had a long day at work trying to get the mesh network in the office working again.

    Video: He had a dash cam... and through FOIA I can get it.

    Did he give you the ticket? Yes, 99 in a 55 which is a blatant lie.

    Did he have radar? If he did radar me I would have known. A 40 dollar ticket is better than a 500 dollar one now isn't it.

    Were you on long enoughfor you not to see him pace you? He didn't pace me. He just sped up and decided the maximum before I go to jail would be the right speed for me.
    There are some things here that aren't quite adding up. First you said you were driving 75 in a 55 and then that information is deleted after you edited your post. (Yes, I saw Hawkflyer's comment about you removing it but the fact that you posted your initially-claimed speed of 75/55 wouldn't have any negative bearing on your charges unless you're argument is you never exceeded the speed at all; as it stands now, claiming you were doing 75 instead of 99 would likely aid your plea. But I digress...)You're claiming you were given a citation for driving 99 in a 55. Were not also cited for reckless driving? § 46.2-862 defines an automatic reckless driving as either A) twenty mph above the speed limit of B) anything in excess of 80 mph. Certainly either claim you made,75/55 and 99/55, constitute reckless driving. You're also claiming you don't know whether or not the officer determined your speed via radar, pacing, etc... It's been a while since I receied a speeding ticket but IIRC the ticket says how fast you were going and how your speed was determined.



    Finally, you (and Curtis, another recently-joined poster)claimed rather spuriously that police plant drugs on innocent people all the time. How about giving us a cite on this? What court cases can you provide that this happens "all the time", or even frequently? Can you give us any demonstrable evidence that police not only do this on a regular basis, but also get away with it on a regular basis?

    Curtis wrote:
    eddyys wrote:
    Getting drugs planted on you is never fun and it happens all the time.
    Cops just carry around drugs now as a possible out if the situation gets too stressful for them?
    I strongly suggest you go back and reread what I wrote and see if you detect any hint of skepticism in it ( while you're looking for a hint, here's a hint: the biggest clues are the way I phrased it and the fact that I posed it in question form) before you claim to know what you might think I am so spuriously claiming.

    I'll thank you in advuslyance for recognition of your mistake.
    Curtis, Curtis, Curtis. are you unaware of the pecking order here? If you dont properly introduce yourself, well by golly you sir are just a piece of smelly dung hanging vicariously from the basement of my shoe! I mean you have to have an "intimate" computer generated relationship with us before you make a comment! come on now get with the program!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •