• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Of ATMs, iPhones… and 9/11?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

edit: FYI - the article is not mine.....

Today I was shopping at the downtown Seattle REI. I was about to buy a Thule hitch mount bike rack. They were out of the piece that locks the bike rack into the hitch. So I was in the customer service line to special order one. It was a long line and while I was waiting, I saw two of guys (employees of Loomis, as I later learned) refilling the ATM.

I walked over and took a picture with my iPhone of them and more interestingly of the open ATM. I took the picture because I’m fascinated by the insides of things that we don’t normally get to see. I did not take the picture to case the joint. I did not take the picture to threaten the safety of the two Loomis fake cops with their bulletproof vests, hip side pistols and very fragile egos. I did not take the picture to make it easier for anyone else to rob this or any other ATM. I just like to see things that I don’t normally get to see. (Just like when I was in Vancouver, BC with Fall Out Boy, I got to see the stage being constructed… and took pictures of it.)

read the rest here as the article is too large to post all of it: http://iamshane.com/2009/05/09/of-atms-iphones-and-911/

Dreamer

imported post

This guy is a douche. He claims to be a designer and a typophile, but his website looks like someone threw up a bowl of Alphabet Soup on a drafting table, AND he can't spell and has horrific grammar...

However, there is no law (even in the People's Republic of Seattle) prohibiting douche-ness, and regardless of the fact that this guy is a first-class wannabee anarchist a$$hat, he did NOT break any laws, and his rights WERE heinously abused.

The FIRST thing he should have done after he was released was contact a lawyer or the ACLU and filed a wheelbarrow full of suits against Loomis, REI and the Seattle Police. Wrongful Arrest. Harassment under the Color of Law. Civil rights violations left and right--1A, 4A, 5A, 8A.

Any lawyer with the mental wherewithal to pull on his own loafers sould have a slam-dunk with this one, and this dude could probably get a pretty tasty settlement from REI, Loomis and the Seattle Police.

But it appears that this "designer" isn't really all that swift. It took him MONTHS to contact a lawyer or the ACLU. He much preferred to spend his energy going on talk-radio shows and giving interviews to local media.

Perhaps he should graduate from his pseudo-anarchy leanings and move up to an intellectually more advanced belief system--one that would prompt him to actually ENGAGE the system in a meaningful way, so that he could punish the guilty parties in the only way they understand--in the wallets...

I HATE cases like this. Where an innocent person does an innocent act and gets abused under color of law, and then you find out that the innocent person is also some whiny, clueless douche...

Do I have sympathy for him or not?

It's sort of a "love-hate" situation for me. He obviously didn't deserve the treatment he got from a bunch of wanna-be pseudo-cops OR the SPD.

But then again, he does sort of come across as a bit of a smart-mouthed, self-absorbed a$$hat who thinks he's on some sort of mission to save the world from Capitalism and Carnivores....

If I met this guy at an AIGA meeting and he was wearing one of his t-shirts, I'd probably think he was a dipstick and a troublemaker. I wouldn't insult or confront him for his beliefs, but I might hand him a "why I carry" card and ask him to come to my house for a BBQ... ;)

I do hope he gets SOMETHING for his troubles from SPD, Loomis, and REI though...