• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

so the TSA guy says to me.....

ORCGUY

imported post

Been traveling on business trips for over a year. Multiple airports, back and forth. Dulles, Reagan, BWI, Atlanta, JFK, Orlando, Detroit, Minn....so I get to Salt Lake City on Tuesday.Leaving SLC International on Thursday morning. I don't have a weapon with me. I have a pair of cuffs, a shield, and "stuff" in my brief case. I push my luggage, laptop, briefcasethrough the X-ray machine. I wait on the other side. One TSA guy looks, stops the belt. Another TSA comes over, another...thats three....uh oh? a Federal Air Marshal in a suit walks over...uh oh. Pointing at the screen, looking at me...pointing at the screen, looking at me....(FAM walks away). TSA guy takes my briefcase off of the belt..."sir, you have a live round of ammo in your briefcase", can you walk over here with me. OMG!

Long story short, the local PD working the airport had to be informed. Luckily (not that it mattered, but helped I'm sure) I have a Vapermit and a Utahpermit. One officer came over and politely asked why I hada round in my briefcase. I told him I had no idea. Iimagine that I unloaded it in my car at home before I entered the house to put my weapon in my safe, andthe chambered round was left in the briefcase. I explained that I lock people up around the country in my profession of 15 years, and have multiple permits. He asked what type of weapon I carried, and I told him a 226. He said, "Nicefirearm, hope you enjoyed your trip, have a nice day". Off he went!

The TSA had to fill out a quick report, and I'm sure I'm on a "list" now. I thanked the TSA employee for his professionalism, and onto my gate I went.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Best thing we can do? Get the government out of the airline business and let the airline folks handle things themselves. If there were some citizens on the tower's planes on 9/11 that were armed, do we really think those sandcrab maggots would have been able to do what they did?

ORCGUY

imported post

Posted in Va forum b/c I live in NOVA.

Yes, they found the round after much digging around, and yes they confiscated it. I didn't care, I was just happy to get out of there and go home!

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

What makes you think you are now on "A list". I am thinking more like a few dozen LISTS.

This just shows what can happen when the guy at the machine does not have the proper paperwork.:lol:

I am glad it went your way, as I suspect you already know it might not have. I have had problems with the TSA guys wanting to open CLEAR PLASTIC BAGS clearly labeled as evidence under tamper seals, with me holding all kinds if ID in their face. Set aside Chain issues, that is just stupid and it ignores every kind of reason you can bring to bear.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Not too uncommom... has happened to a couple of guys I know.

A buddy recently had a round of 5.56 green tip in the bottom of a pocket in a softside bag. Found it on the ground at work. He explained it was inadvertant, some forms were filed out, and he was on his way.

mrjam2jab

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Best thing we can do? Get the government out of the airline business and let the airline folks handle things themselves. If there were some citizens on the tower's planes on 9/11 that were armed, do we really think those sandcrab maggots would have been able to do what they did?

Are you quoting Glenn Beck? :p He said almost that exact same thing the other day.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:

This should read -

Best thing we can do? Get the government out of the Fill in business type here business and let the Fill in business type here folks handle things themselves.

wylde007

imported post

<choke>

I'm AGREEING with Hawkflyer?

This is indeed a topsy-turvy world we live in.:D

I also happen to know at least two people who have accidentally carried a "live" round in their carry-ons. Some people use them as range bags and don't clean them out with 100% care.

Neither of them was caught. This has been in the past year. One going through ORF. I don't recall the other.

Of course, the rules are very poorly written if they want to start a pissing match. Ammunition appears to be a "per airline" item. I doubt "loose" rounds would pass muster, so simply turning one over should be no different than them taking your dangerous nail trimmers.:?

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Tomahawk

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:

Since TSA was created to do the exact opposite, and created by a Republican-controlled government, there is ZERO chance of that happening.

Remember to brag about how free we are, and have fun with your cavity search, folks.

NCjones

imported post

Reminds me of when I went thru the airport at Houston a few years ago. I had a carry on and among the items were an electric razor and a little wooden box that held 2 cigars.

So I throw my crap on the belt and walk on thru and the TSA guy watching the Xray screen gets all funny acting and walks around and picks up my bag after it exits. He says "Sir, is this your bag?" I said "Yes". About that time five or six suits with the little earphone thingy walk up and they take my bag and me off to the side and commence to digging thru it. Dude picks up the cigar case and looks at it real suspicious like and then cracks it open slightly and statres for a second or two and then proclaims "Cigars!". I said "yep, those are Fuentes."

It seems that all the electronic gadetry in the razor and the wooden box with cigars looked like some dymanite or something that would be a bomb in the Xray machine.

Agent 47

imported post

I recently flew from Tucson int airport. I had my backpack as my carry on the same backpack I had used when I went target shooting in Tucson. the backpack has dozens of pockets all over it and due to being rushed to get packed up and get to the airport I overlooked 100 rounds of loose .45 ammo I had in the lower inside pocket. I flew out on Christmas day evening and as I was going through the TSA checkpoint my bag was going through the X-ray as the TV on the wall was showing the underpants bomber attack on the airliner. My bag went through the Xray and I boarded the plane and flew home. I wasn't until I got home and emptied my carry-on that I realized what was in it. It is kind of scary to think there was a hole in the security big enough to walk onto a plane with 100 rounds of ammunition. considering you can build a gun out of any number of everyday objects the ammo is what they should really be looking out for. I suppose they were to busy confiscating fingernail clippers and frisking little old ladies to notice.

thx997303

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
It is kind of scary to think there was a hole in the security big enough to walk onto a plane with 100 rounds of ammunition. considering you can build a gun out of any number of everyday objects the ammo is what they should really be looking out for.
No, it's kinda scary that we are forced to be unarmed in such a target rich and captive environment.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Agent 47 wrote:
It is kind of scary to think there was a hole in the security big enough to walk onto a plane with 100 rounds of ammunition. considering you can build a gun out of any number of everyday objects the ammo is what they should really be looking out for.
No, it's kinda scary that we are forced to be unarmed in such a target rich and captive environment.
I would agree with THX997303 on this one!