• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's the most comfortable holster you've ever used?

Caltorrez

imported post

I'm looking for a holster thats compatible with my .40 s&w Taurus 24/7 Pro. I'd like one that would fit comfortably on the small of my back or on my right hip. If at all possible, one that can be used for CCW and OC!

Sabotage70

imported post

I have a PT-140 pro and a XDm 40 that I carry. I use a kholster but thats pretty much good for CC only. But most of the time I open carry my XDm40 in a Blackhawk serpa level 2. But even in the colder months just a flannel shirt or a coat will cover it.

Dangerfish

imported post

Hey, new here, been reading around quite a bit. However, I would advise against any single action striker fired pistol(Glock, XD, M&P, P90, Ect.) used with a Serpa holster.

The most detailed explanation is through Tactical Response, they do not allow them in their training:

Why no Serpa holsters?
An answer from our friend Paul Gomez: Begin Quote “Over the last year, I have developed some serious concerns with the Blackhawk Serpa Active Retention holster design. Various persons have brought these concerns to the attention of Blackhawk on several occasions and Blackhawk has chosen to ignore these very real issues.

The ‘Serpa Active Retention’ design consists of a plastic L-shaped component which functions as the release button [from the outside of the holster] and as the lock [which engages inside the trigger guard]. The short leg of the L-shaped lever pivots inward [toward the pistol], while the locking tab pivots outward to release the pistol from the holster.

According to the Blackhawk website, ”The release is made using your normal drawing motion, with the trigger finger beside the holster body. … As your trigger finger naturally comes to rest on the SERPA lock’s release mechanism, simply push the mechanism as you draw the weapon and it releases the gun for a smooth, fast draw.”

While Blackhawk may intend for the end-user to apply inboard pressure with the flat of the index finger, under stress, shooters tend to push the button with the tip of their index finger. After all, this is the manner in which most people have the most repetitions pushing buttons such as keys on a keypad or phone or ringing doorbells. When the finger pushes in on the release button and the user initiates the upward motion of the draw stroke, the finger tends to stay in motion and as the trigger guard clears the holster, the finger enters the trigger guard and contacts the trigger, with possibly tragic results.

I am aware of two instances where trained personnel have shot themselves using this holster in conjunction with Glock pistols. In August of 2004, a situation occurred with a live weapon that resulted in the shooter losing a 10cm piece of her femur. The other occurred with nonlethal training ammunitions in a force-on-force event in April of 2005. The impact of the NLTA was in the same area as the actual gunshot wound previously mentioned.

Following each of these events, Blackhawk was contacted and advised of the problems observed and concerns raised. In the first instance, they claimed that they were unaware of any previous issues with the design and insisted that the design had been ‘thoroughly tested by law enforcement and military personnel’.

After the second event, they were contacted by at least two people. Again, they stated that they were unaware of any concerns and had heard nothing similar from any sources.” End Quote

www.tacticalresponse.com

Just a thought, unload your weapon completly then quickly draw by pressing hard on the lock and see what happens...

Sabotage70

imported post

Thanx for the heads up. I have practiced a quick draw with live fire and haven't had any issues. I'll admit I've only been out a couple of times and it wasn't under stress.
Do you have any alternatives to the serpa? 'Cause if you do I'm always open to suggestion.

Dangerfish

imported post

Bladetech and Safariland are the only two I will trust my life with.

I have recently been eyeing the Safariland 6377, can't beat the quality or the price for that holster.

1Grizzly1

imported post

I carry a Taurus PT-145 in a Galco FLETCH holster. Very comfortable and I can conceal under a T shirt if I need to.