• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

a modest proposal II

old dog

imported post

[align=left][/align]I notice here a number of instances wherein carriers have gotten together for a demonstration of rights i.e. meetings, dinners et c.

Why can't Tennesseans do some of this? True, we have a pretty good deal and it has probably made us complacent, but I would like to see us a bit more confrontational. I'm not suggesting some wild-eyed extravaganze but just a simple group exercise -- kind of showing the flag. Actually I'm not all that big on open carry per se, but it is an important part of the equation.

I guess part of what I'm driving at is that we need an organizational identity that will do more than frown thoughtfully. And don't point me to TFA. They give a whole new definition to "bland".

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

old dog wrote:
[align=left]
I notice here a number of instances wherein carriers have gotten together for a demonstration of rights i.e. meetings, dinners et c.

Why can't Tennesseans do some of this? True, we have a pretty good deal and it has probably made us complacent, but I would like to see us a bit more confrontational. I'm not suggesting some wild-eyed extravaganze but just a simple group exercise -- kind of showing the flag. Actually I'm not all that big on open carry per se, but it is an important part of the equation.

I guess part of what I'm driving at is that we need an organizational identity that will do more than frown thoughtfully. And don't point me to TFA. They give a whole new definition to "bland".
There are none of these groups in Tennessee because as you say we do have pretty good laws for the most part.I see nopoint to a get together where you gather and carry concealed. I was told to carry concealed in my carry class and it seems most in Tennessee are taught in their class that it is better to carry concealed. People accept this as the gospel.[/align]
As far as TFA, I'm not even sure they know the laws. I was a member a long time ago. I rejoined in October, but if you go to their website you'll quickly find out they walk around scared and carry with their handguns concealed.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I attended one of the TFA meetings about a year ago, when they were meeting at the Shoney's next toTitan Stadium. Myself and a couple of others were OCing and nothing was said about it.

I don't know that we need to "be more confrontational." That could backfire. A simple gathering for a dinner or a cook out in a park wouldn't be a bad idea. Be nice to be able to put faces with forum nicknames.

WCrawford

imported post

I'd be up for another OC dinner/chat fest.

As things warm up (especially to increase visibility), I'd be up for an OC picnic at Bicentennial Mall.

I'm up for OC protests of anti-gun politicians (in front of their offices).

Handgunonly

imported post

I like the idea of an dinner or better yet a picnic. Just have to pick the right park as Cookeville has banded guns in parks. The simplest form for OC is Eastern Washington. A carry permit is pay your money wait for a background check and your done. I lived in Western Washington from 1942 to 1997 before moving to TN. OC in taverns was common place in Eastern Washington. Some may/maynot have carry permits. No one ever said anything about it.

Some take the bull by the horn and get a scheduled event started. TNKS I'm deaf by the way.