• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

High Power Rifle Clinic at Fairfax Rod and Gun Club - 2/20

W.E.G.

imported post

High Power Rifle Clinic at Fairfax Rod & Gun Club - 2/13

FairfaxHighPowerClinic.jpg

W.E.G.

imported post

For persons attending the clinic, let me suggest that you equip yourself with a proper sling.

Leather slings are best.
The old "Vietnam" web sling is OK too.

Other "tactical" slings can be used, but you will find them to be less than satisfactory.

I recommend this video to give you some idea of how we use slings in this type of shooting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaRCFpH27-w

altajava

imported post

I am to assume this is open to the general public and not just FRGC members sense it is posted here. This would be a good reason to blow the dust off my M1.

Whatexactly is the minimum caliber for a "high power" match or is this a rimfire vs. centerfirething?

W.E.G.

imported post

The event is open to anybody.

The Spring League matches are also open to anybody.

I'm not sure where the reference "minimum caliber" came from.

Generally, nobody shoots .22 rimfire at these events, although there are a few persistent souls who shoot so badly, they might as well be shooting .22 shorts.

Most people shoot AR-15, but there are still a few brown guns that show up on the line.

Your Garand will fit right in.

W.E.G.

imported post

NRA "tactical rifle" prototype.

(I know the gamesmen will exploit this class to shoot heavy, long-barreled guns, in funky calibers, on .308-size receivers. It is my hope that the new class will serve as as a way to get people to come out and shoot their optic-sighted carbines.)

Sorry about the shiny scope - as noted this is a "prototype."

NRAtacticalriflesmaller.jpg

nraopticsrules.jpg

W.E.G.

imported post

Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 11:38 AM
Subject: High Power Rifle Clinic - 2/13 - CANCELLED

Guys;

Due to the continuing crappy weather and the current conditions at Fairfax Rod & Gun Club the High Power Rifle Clinic scheduled for this Saturday 2/13 is CANCELLED. It is tentatively rescheduled for Saturday 2/20. I will e-mail you again with an update after this weekend.

Please forgive me if you receive this message more than once.

Stay tuned and stay safe,
Alan Willard
Tom Edmonston