• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non Resident Concealed Carry

varminter22

imported post

Gents,

I live in northwestern Nevada and frequent the Nevada open carry forum. As I'm involved in lobbying for better law in Nevada, concealed carry questions frequently arise - and I'm hoping you can help me out here!

From http://www.dps.state.ak.us/statewide/permitslicensing/concealedhandguns.aspx:
I note it says, "anyone." I would estimate that includes non-residents from other states.

However, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concealed_carry_in_the_United_States:
Two states, Vermont and Alaska, allow a non-felon, at least 16 or 21 years of age respectively, to conceal-carry without requiring a permit as a fundamental right. ... Vermont extends the right to carry without requiring a permit to non-residents as well as to residents ...
So that begs the question: May a law-abiding citizen (NOT otherwise prohibited) from another state lawfully carry concealed while visiting Alaska??? Is the Wikipedia statement misleading?

Many thanks for comments. I would appreciate it!

It is my opinion that our goal in the other 48 states should be VT/AK style (no permit required) law. I frequently opine:
IF there were "problems" in VT/AK, don't you think the anti-gun crowd and mainstream media would be constantly broadcasting the issue?"
Do you agree with the above?

S. Fisher

imported post

The answer is yes. However you will still have to familiarize yourself with the laws as to where you can carry.
People get confused because Alaska still issues a permit, but that is so Alaska residents can carry in states that have reciprocity with Alaska.

varminter22

imported post

S. Fisher wrote:
The answer is yes. However you will still have to familiarize yourself with the laws as to where you can carry.
People get confused because Alaska still issues a permit, but that is so Alaska residents can carry in states that have reciprocity with Alaska.
Roger that. I suspected so.

Sorry for my late reply.

Many thanks!

david.ross

imported post

Just remember any type of carry is off limits in the terminal buildings(which contain the ticketing, commons, baggage) at Anchorage and Fairbanks major airports.

The opencarry.org map still doesn't reflect the proper laws. You can carry in rural airports, but firearms must be unloaded before getting on the plane.

Jared

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Just remember any type of carry is off limits in the terminal buildings(which contain the ticketing, commons, baggage) at Anchorage and Fairbanks major airports.

The opencarry.org map still doesn't reflect the proper laws. You can carry in rural airports, but firearms must be unloaded before getting on the plane.

Can you please reference the laws regarding airports and unloaded carry on planes? I've never seen them.

david.ross

imported post

Alaska Administrative Code:
http://tinyurl.com/yep4bgq

Even though I'm skating on thin ice since there was an incident at the Anchorage Airport, I'm trying to receive clarification on what statute gives them authority to restrict firearms.

Since October when I flew out, I didn't have time to look at the code or statutes, now just getting around to studying. In retrospect how the laws were written back in 97, the AAC code makes little sense to me. I'm asking the DOT to explain to me, or at least look in to the code.

I don't mind the airport being "off-limits" long as proper code/statutes are listed, I can unload/load outside of the "department-operated building." Not understanding bothers me, but what bothers me more are codes/ordinances which are not in compliance with state law.

I'm seeking clarification.

Baradium

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:

In most cases add in "and packed in your luggage."