• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond Gunshow

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

There was a good crowd coming in about 10:00

I was still pissed at almost having breakfast at an Anti Gun location so I bought a new set of grips for my new Super Blackhawk, looked arounf some, and went to the Mechanicsville Buffet fro breakfast where they want business and OC is fine with them.
The wife is still griping because I was RUDE to them at Blair's:X:X:X:X

carbon

Banned
imported post

peter nap wrote:

I was still pissed at almost having breakfast at an Anti Gun location so I bought a new set of grips for my new Super Blackhawk, looked arounf some, and went to the Mechanicsville Buffet fro breakfast where they want business and OC is fine with them.

i think you are a ghast

curtiswr

imported post

That was the busiest I've ever seen it, but granted I never went in the immediate post-Obama months. I can't remember what time I got there... maybe 10:45 or so. I was just there scoping things out, preparing to make a purchase at (what I thought was) next week's Doswell show.

Started getting pissed with the crowd so I left and picked up some lunch from Melito's which was also packed and got on my nerves.

skidmark worked his salesman magic as I was buying two patches, one VCDL and one GSL and now I've got some spiffy stickers on my netbook. Now I can sit and make statements with the hip kids at Panera and Starbucks... and maybe Harrison St. Cafe! :p

netbook_stickers.jpg

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

peter nap wrote:

What is Blair's, and what happened there this morning?

curtiswr

imported post

DrMark wrote:
Curtis wrote:
That was the busiest I've ever seen it...

I didn't realize you were in Virginia.

If you fill out you location, your posts in the VA forum may be perceived as more relevant. ...just sayin'. :)
Never got around to it for some reason, or just plain forgot. Had to re-regsiter on the site because I couldn't get into my old account and I like this name better anyway; it's simpler.

Further reference:
curtiswr

simmonsjoe

imported post

Curtis wrote:
That was the busiest I've ever seen it, but granted I never went in the immediate post-Obama months. I can't remember what time I got there... maybe 10:45 or so. I was just there scoping things out, preparing to make a purchase at (what I thought was) next week's Doswell show.

Started getting pissed with the crowd so I left and picked up some lunch from Melito's which was also packed and got on my nerves.

skidmark worked his salesman magic as I was buying two patches, one VCDL and one GSL and now I've got some spiffy stickers on my netbook. Now I can sit and make statements with the hip kids at Panera and Starbucks... and maybe Harrison St. Cafe! :p

netbook_stickers.jpg
LoL. Don't scare the sheeple at Panera's!

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Curtis wrote:
Never got around to it for some reason, or just plain forgot. Had to re-regsiter on the site because I couldn't get into my old account and I like this name better anyway; it's simpler.

Further reference:
curtiswr
Gotcha.

Hope you enjoyed the show. I think my brother went up there today. He was asking me last night if I wanted to go with him, but my son had a basketball game this morning.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

DrMark wrote:
peter nap wrote:

What is Blair's, and what happened there this morning?
http://news.oldva.org/blogroll/blairs-drugstore-goes-anti-gun/

It’s Saturday and when I’m not at the farm, I try to have breakfast/brunch with fellow gun owners. We Open Carry. For some, it’s a way to allow the public to see that it’s legal. For people like myself, that don’t want permission to carry a gun, it’s the only legal way to do it.

Just to remind the readers, Open carry is perfectly legal in Virginia WITHOUT A PERMIT!

Today there is a gunshow and the powers that be decided on breakfast at Blairs Drugstore as a meeting spot before the show.

When I arrived, I saw a hand written sign on the door saying No guns except police and “Legal Concealed permit holders”, Just what in the hell is a legal permit? Is there a rash of forgeries going around?

I went in, mad and still wearing my gun. I needed a pack of cigaretts and started to get some but the woman at the counter was coughing, sneezing and wiping her nose on her sleeve, so I passed.

I went back to the restaurant area where my wife and several OC’res (With legal permits) were sitting. The waitress came by and I told her I didn’t want to eat in an Anti establishment.

She said they weren’t anti gun but “Some Kid” had come in the other day…with a gun in his pants. I didn’t ask why they were looking in his pants.

There wasn’t any threat or robbery, just someone legally Open Carrying.

That’s pretty much the end of the story. I left and went to the Gunshow then ate at a gun friendly establishment.

In keeping with Old Virginia’s “ZERO TOLERANCE” policy, I’d like to remind all our members that Blair’s is now on the “Do Not Patronize” list.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Just a follow up...I went back to the show this afternoon and bought an old shotgun I'd looked at earlier.

Then we went to River City Diner on Parham....where they are very gun friendly, the staff doesn't wipe their noses on their sleeves, the food is good and they aren't on the edge of a war zone.

curtiswr

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
kenny wrote:
peter nap wrote:
the staff doesn't wipe their noses on their sleeves

Believe it or not that is exactly what the health department is telling people to do.
I understand sneezing and coughing into you sleeve but seriously wiping you nose as well. Why?

I searched google for "health department wipe nose on sleeve" and the first result (from Washington's health department) came up as saying:
"Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or your upper sleeve, not your bare hand. Use a tissue to wipe your nose, then throw the tissue away. ..."

http://www.doh.wa.gov/FLUNews/

The Virginia Department of Health says the same thing in different words, implying in number 2 that you should wipe your nose/mouth with a tissue:
"1. Cover the mouth and nose when coughing and
sneezing, using tissues or your upper
sleeve instead of the hands.

2. Use tissues to contain mucous and watery
discharge from the mouth and nose."

http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/lhd/chesapeake/Documents/Family_Care_Brochure.pdf

I would still hold it that wiping your nose with a tissue is the proper and most sanitary method in most instances and that Kenny just didn't read/listen carefully enough.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Curtis wrote:
rlh2005 wrote:
kenny wrote:
peter nap wrote:
the staff doesn't wipe their noses on their sleeves

Believe it or not that is exactly what the health department is telling people to do.
I understand sneezing and coughing into you sleeve but seriously wiping you nose as well. Why?

I searched google for "health department wipe nose on sleeve" and the first result (from Washington's health department) came up as saying:
"Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or your upper sleeve, not your bare hand. Use a tissue to wipe your nose, then throw the tissue away. ..."

http://www.doh.wa.gov/FLUNews/

The Virginia Department of Health says the same thing in different words, implying in number 2 that you should wipe your nose/mouth with a tissue:
"1. Cover the mouth and nose when coughing and
sneezing, using tissues or your upper
sleeve instead of the hands.

2. Use tissues to contain mucous and watery
discharge from the mouth and nose."

http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/lhd/chesapeake/Documents/Family_Care_Brochure.pdf

I would still hold it that wiping your nose with a tissue is the proper and most sanitary method in most instances and that Kenny just didn't read/listen carefully enough.
Geeze...that was annoying but the big story is the sign. No one seems concerned with that.

blai.jpg

curtiswr

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Geeze...that was annoying but the big story is the sign. No one seems concerned with that.

True; I am sorry for the digression.

Do you think there is any possibility they will take it down as it seems thrown together as a result of a sort of heat-of-the-moment reaction to one guy?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Curtis wrote:
peter nap wrote:

Do you think there is any possibility they will take it down as it seems thrown together as a result of a sort of heat-of-the-moment reaction to one guy?
Don't know Curtis. All I can do is cost them as much business as possible.
They may take it down but who knows. I think Skidmark and Grapeshot know them and may be able to talk to them.
That never works for me. All I can do is keep chipping away at their customer base.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Curtis wrote:
peter nap wrote:

Anyone think to ask?

curtiswr

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Curtis wrote:
peter nap wrote:

Don't know Curtis. All I can do is cost them as much business as possible.
They may take it down but who knows. I think Skidmark and Grapeshot know them and may be able to talk to them.
That never works for me. All I can do is keep chipping away at their customer base.
I've never made a breakfast there and although I could go since I carry a "legal concealed permit" I think I will hold off. Thought about stopping by right before I went to the gun show to see how the food was, although I missed the OC breakfast itself.

Had I stopped and saw the sign I would have walked away as well.