• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Voice Recorders

MrBfromD

imported post

This may have been covered before but I'm not sure. I'm thinking about finally getting a voice recorder but I don't know which one to get.

Any suggestions? Which do you carry and why? Oh, and the cheaper the better.

NCjones

imported post

Yo, if you haven't went out and bought one already, I have an Olympus VN-3100 (google it for specs) you can have. The only reason I bought another is because it wouldn't fit in my spare magazine carrier and I found another one that would.

PM me

Michigander

imported post

I suggest carrying 2 at a minimum, with at least one being a covert "spy cam" type like a watch, pen, neck tie, shirt button, hat, cigarette lighter, flash light, USB drive, or any other kind that you can find that you like. Have a plan to put it into action with no one being able to tell it's a camera or that its recording. The spy cam systems have become extremely cheap on ebay. (I know, screw ebay, but I'll use them to further gun rights)

The other one of the minimum 2 I suggest is an obvious, typical recorder. This will be the one that you ask a rogue cops permission to run. If you run into bad cops, and they refuse to let you record, or worse yet take it from you, that is what the other recording system is for.

Another thing I suggest strongly is to have a cell phone with you that is set to speaker phone. If you see a cop car charging towards you, you can punch 911 into it. If you see a cop charge out of the car and draw on you or maybe act ready to and tell you to get down or put your hands up or something, you can hit the call button, and drop it on the ground. I am always ready to do this in a higher risk city, particularly when OCing on my own. If you call 911, you will have a recording with them of what the call has on it, and plus, you can say you want the help of the state police, or perhaps the Sheriff's department if you trust them and they aren't the ones messing with you. If another agency arrives, it will also give you further evidence, because of more witnesses.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I suggest carrying 2 at a minimum, with at least one being a covert "spy cam" type like a watch, pen, neck tie, shirt button, hat, cigarette lighter, flash light, USB drive, or any other kind that you can find that you like. Have a plan to put it into action with no one being able to tell it's a camera or that its recording. The spy cam systems have become extremely cheap on ebay. (I know, screw ebay, but I'll use them to further gun rights)

The other one of the minimum 2 I suggest is an obvious, typical recorder. This will be the one that you ask a rogue cops permission to run. If you run into bad cops, and they refuse to let you record, or worse yet take it from you, that is what the other recording system is for.
I never ask permission to record an encounter. Why ask the question if you know the answer. As long as I am part of the conversation I can legally record it without consent of the others involved.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Is it legal to record a telephone conversation without telling the person that they are being recorded?

It is my understanding that I can record a conversation between two people in a public place, but Im not sure if I could legalyrecord a conversation (between me and my dad for instance), either in a private home, or record a phone call.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Is it legal to record a telephone conversation without telling the person that they are being recorded?

It is my understanding that I can record a conversation between two people in a public place, but Im not sure if I could legalyrecord a conversation (between me and my dad for instance), either in a private home, or record a phone call.

Michigander

imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
I never ask permission to record an encounter. Why ask the question if you know the answer. As long as I am part of the conversation I can legally record it without consent of the others involved.
Going by what I've seen at the Boston Market debacle and in a couple other personal experiences, as well as what has happened to to others here, recorders shut cops the hell up, or they make them go crazy and take them from you. Both can and do happen.

If your recorder makes a cop calm down, that is good. If they take it from you and give you a big hassle, they were going to give you a bunch of shit regardless. Having a hidden primary and a visible and announced secondary/dummy recorder gives you the best of both worlds. This system will nearly always get cops to ease up, or catch them at their worst. This is extremely valuable, especially with the fact that FOIA's for police recordings are quite often incomplete and censored so cops can cover each others asses.

Michigander

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
http://www.lightinthebox.com/640x480-USB-Pen-Spy-Camcorder-Web-Camera-with-8GB-Memory-Hidden-Camera-LSW001-_p61266.html

has anybody got any experience with these?

I would like some user input before I beleive an ad.

Pens work okay, but they are difficult to deploy in such a way that they film what you want them to, and no one knows they are there. That sight has some decent prices, but ebay is usually the cheapest.

One other thing, I strongly suggest that no one here ever posts about what kind of spy recorders they may have. Telling the world what kind you have largely defeats the purpose of having it hidden.