• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry with a CCW

insanityranch

imported post

Hello all ! I am new to all this Open carry stuff,as I just heard a Radio station talking about it yesterday ( Jazz Mc Kay KNZR)

I want to find out more info on Open Carry when one has a CCW permit as I do.

I have looked at the U Tube videos, and have went to a few sites so far but can not find any info about Open Carry with a CCW.

I live in Tehachapiat the south of the Kern County and have had my CCW for a few years now.

I want to know what kind of conflicks Open Carry would have with My CCW Permit.

Is there anything I would need to do when carring Open or isit even allowed to do with a CCW?

Can I do both at the same time?

and any other info woud be greatly helpfull.

Kevn

NCjones

imported post

Check your state laws regarding open carry. It seems that some police officers (Michigan?) falsely believe and are advising that if you have a CHP that you can't OC. If your state is OC friendly then a CHP makes no difference. On several of Kimberguys videos I have watched the cop tell him that he can't OC because he has a CHP. This is akin to believeing that if the speed limit is 55 then you can't drive 45. A CHP is just government approval for an extension of your 2A rights (which shouldn't need an extension anyway).

Again, check your states OC laws.

yelohamr

imported post

As long as the OC firearm is not loaded, youshould be ablecarry it and your concealed loaded weapon at the same time.

I am not a lawyer, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

insanityranch wrote:
Hello all ! I am new to all this Open carry stuff,as I just heard a Radio station talking about it yesterday ( Jazz Mc Kay KNZR)

I have looked at the U Tube videos, and have went to a few sites so far but can not find any info about Open Carry with a CCW.

I live in Tehachapiat the south of the Kern County and have had my CCW for a few years now.

Is there anything I would need to do when carring Open or isit even allowed to do with a CCW?

Kevn

If you have a LTC in California,thepiece fo rice paper you were issued is printed with the following words;

"License To Carry Concealed Pistol, Revolver, or Other Firearm Within the State of California"

The license is positively worded and allows or permits concealing a pistol, revolver or other (concealable) firearm. In essense this is the "Get out of jail free" card with only one use- that is to exempt an individual from violation of 12025. It does NOT prohibit other lawful behavior, such as exposed carry.

12050 does have a clause in it however, that makes it possible for the issuing agent to place a reasonable restriction on the place time and manner a firearm may be carried. Those restrictions must by printed on the license, in order to have any effect- as law enforcement agencies other than the issuing agency couldnt possibly be aware of such restrictions if they are not published.

That being said; even self-professedpro-gun, pro-issuance sheriff's can be ill-willed, bad-tempered tyrants. There still exists the belief that a LTC can be revoked for any reason.

I can speak from experience; after my first police encounter while openly carrying, my LTC concealed was revoked by the Sheriff in response to my lawful activities.

I would recommend not openly carrying until the licensing issue is clarified here in California, as this would probably jeopardize your good standing with your license.

If you were determined to join in open carry activities, I would recommend sterile carry- having no photo ID or your LTC on your person. While this is counter-intuitive for a licensee to go without the "Get out of Jail Free" card, this is the only means by which you could protect your license.

I hope this adequately answers your questions.

mjones

imported post

C3 covered all the bases.

I LOC at times using a 12050 license as an exemption to 12031 & 626.9. I have a clear understanding of the risks involved and the possibility of my license being pulled as a result of lawful activity.

My personal recomendation is that you do not try this...yet. Wait until we have Shall Issue licenses.

JBURGII

imported post

Having lived in Cali before I know how confusing the laws are on carrying a weapon period. I would just like to thank all of our California brethren for their continued efforts to clarify the law and bring them into accordance with the Constitution.

One thing I kept getting told was not only were the permits next to impossible to get but that when you held a permit you were not allowed to OC in any way. Of course the folks I refer to had a very elitist mentality unlike the majority of gun owners.

This is just personal experience and me babbling a bit..

Every one have a great and safe weekend.

Rev. Jim

Poblacht32

imported post

insanityranch wrote:

Kevn
Why would you want to Open Carry if you already have a CCW Permit?

insanityranch

imported post

Thanks for the replay.I assume a CHP in you state is a CCW in mine

the only reason I ask is that in my state a CHP stands for Calif Hwy Patrol

( state Police)

insanityranch

imported post

In this day and president and all his girls do you think that day will ever come?

thanks for the respond.....

Kevn

insanityranch

imported post

I thank you for your response and I will asking the Sheriff what his op is

Here in Kern County the Sheriff is pro CCW and will even go so far as to go on the local Bakersfield Radio station telling folks to bring there applications in even is you were turned down by the last Sheriff who by the way was also pro CCW

insanityranch

imported post

WHY?

For no other reason then "It is My Right to do anything I want to do that is not breaking the law"

Each day we loose more and more andwe must all make a stand somewhere, if not formyself then for my Kids & there kids.

Thanks for the responce

Kevn

mjones

imported post

Poblacht32 wrote:

Frankly, its more comfortable...

But it's also faster, and a passive crime deterant.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Poblacht32 wrote:

insanityranch wrote:
I would like to hear your answer as I have sent mine in to the person asking

The short answer is this;

No piece of paper and no veneratedparchment convey rights to the beneficiary.

My motivation to carry exposed in spite of being a licensee to conceal, was to exercise the right to bear the common tools of self-defense without the encumbrance of any interference or regulation.

The longer version is more complicated. That unencumbered exercise that I had hoped I would demonstrate, unfortunately does not exist at this time.

Here's why.

1) I carriedheeding PC12031, unloaded. 2) I carried abiding PC626.9 3) I was still a licensee, which made my concealed carry a privilege. 4) In spite of the fact that I was not exercising any of the exemptions, privileges, and immunitiesthe license offers, the license was revoked to injure my right- to put me in my place.

If the unencumbered right to keep and bear arms existed, we would carry loaded weapons, paying no special regard to our proximity to schools, having no license or other documented permission to do so.

I am patiently awaiting the outcome of incorporation before continuing my activism so that I do not further jeopardize the advance of liberty fought forin courts- so we may carry arms like free men. In plain sight. Loaded. Without regard to location or license.

insanityranch

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Poblacht32 wrote:
insanityranch wrote:
I would like to hear your answer as I have sent mine in to the person asking
The short answer is this;

No piece of paper and no veneratedparchment convey rights to the beneficiary.

My motivation to carry exposed in spite of being a licensee to conceal, was to exercise the right to bear the common tools of self-defense without the encumbrance of any interference or regulation.

The longer version is more complicated. That unencumbered exercise that I had hoped I would demonstrate, unfortunately does not exist at this time.

Here's why.

1) I carriedheeding PC12031, unloaded. 2) I carried abiding PC626.9 3) I was still a licensee, which made my concealed carry a privilege. 4) In spite of the fact that I was not exercising any of the exemptions, privileges, and immunitiesthe license offers, the license was revoked to injure my right- to put me in my place.

If the unencumbered right to keep and bear arms existed, we would carry loaded weapons, paying no special regard to our proximity to schools, having no license or other documented permission to do so.

I am patiently awaiting the outcome of incorporation before continuing my activism so that I do not further jeopardize the advance of liberty fought forin courts- so we may carry arms like free men. In plain sight. Loaded. Without regard to location or license.
I could not have said it better Thank you !

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

mjones wrote:
I LOC at times using a 12050 license as an exemption to 12031 & 626.9. I have a clear understanding of the risks involved and the possibility of my license being pulled as a result of lawful activity.

My personal recomendation is that you do not try this...yet. Wait until we have Shall Issue licenses.
LOC - loaded open carry? Please spell out all acronyms used per our rules - we are writing for the world, not ourselves.

Last time I looked at the Brady bunch analysis re loaded open carry generally, and within a school zone, I agreed with them - under California law as recently amended, (see 12031 and 629.9, referencing 12050 licenses), a permit to conceal does not work to permit this - only a rural county permit to open carry does, and then again, only in the issuing County.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

yelohamr wrote:
As long as the OC firearm is not loaded, youshould be ablecarry it and your concealed loaded weapon at the same time.
And you can carry a loaded openly carried handgun in unincorporated areas where teh County has not prohibited shooting whether you do or do not have a permit to conceal. See, e.g., People v. Knight; People v. Sugura.