• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detroit Auto Show

mikestilly

imported post

Radioman wrote:
Not sure .. But I believe that the Boat show also leases for three or four weeks right behind the auto show.  Not sure of the group that actually holds the lease for that or if there is one.  Havent done work for that group.  Weekend shows like Autorama might not have a lease but I havent researched any of that. 

I know about the auto show lease due to previous work situations and the contact folks for entry change in the Month of January to NAIAS and their hired security vendor from Cobo Hall / Olympia Entertainment Group.  And all the equipment placement and connection requirements have to go thru two apporvals rather than just Cobo Hall / Olympia Entertainment Group.  And seeing some of the contract clauses for the work done point to a leased space by NAIAS for the auto show duration.

Radioman

Thanks for validating my several posts about leasing the property ;) Some people just wont believe the truth even if it slaps them in the face :)

G

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
Radioman wrote:
Not sure .. But I believe that the Boat show also leases for three or four weeks right behind the auto show. Not sure of the group that actually holds the lease for that or if there is one. Havent done work for that group. Weekend shows like Autorama might not have a lease but I havent researched any of that.

I know about the auto show lease due to previous work situations and the contact folks for entry change in the Month of January to NAIAS and their hired security vendor from Cobo Hall / Olympia Entertainment Group. And all the equipment placement and connection requirements have to go thru two apporvals rather than just Cobo Hall / Olympia Entertainment Group. And seeing some of the contract clauses for the work done point to a leased space by NAIAS for the auto show duration.

Radioman

Thanks for validating my several posts about leasing the property ;) Some people just wont believe the truth even if it slaps them in the face :)
Like those that willfully were lead off to their deaths?
Just who is it that refuses to face reality here?

mikestilly

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
Radioman wrote:
Not sure .. But I believe that the Boat show also leases for three or four weeks right behind the auto show.  Not sure of the group that actually holds the lease for that or if there is one.  Havent done work for that group.  Weekend shows like Autorama might not have a lease but I havent researched any of that. 

I know about the auto show lease due to previous work situations and the contact folks for entry change in the Month of January to NAIAS and their hired security vendor from Cobo Hall / Olympia Entertainment Group.  And all the equipment placement and connection requirements have to go thru two apporvals rather than just Cobo Hall / Olympia Entertainment Group.  And seeing some of the contract clauses for the work done point to a leased space by NAIAS for the auto show duration.

Radioman

Just who is it that refuses to face reality here?

CV67PAT: I suggest you then prove your point by OC'ing to the auto show. In your words they have no right to block your entry as they are not the "lease holder". Make so to have someone video tape it so I can post it on Youtube. It's nice to be all talk on a internet website why dont you do what your suggesting. :)

Sorry I dont see your point in people being lead to their death and OC'ing.

G

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
Some people just wont believe the truth even if it slaps them in the face :)
Here's the correlation.
Some people are too stupid to see the truth.

As far as Cobo Convention Center goes, I speak from first hand experience, having both worked there and carried concealed, with mgt knowledge, for years.

And I have even been through the metal detectors after the security sweep just prior to black tie night. Upon presentation of my cpl, I was allowed access.

eastmeyers

imported post

I CC at the Auto show the year before last. Went through an entrance without medal detectors, they just asked you to lift up your coat, they didn't ask, and I didn't tell. Prop not a good idea in retrospece. The whole 2500+ thing.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
I CC at the Auto show the year before last. Went through an entrance without medal detectors, they just asked you to lift up your coat, they didn't ask, and I didn't tell. Prop not a good idea in retrospece. The whole 2500+ thing.

The 2500 seating capacity only applies to Entertainment Facilities per Section 5o:

(f) An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals or that has a sign above each public entrance stating in letters not less than 1-inch high a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals.

As I previously mentioned/asked: Is Cobo a Sports Arena and/or an Entertainment Facility? Anyone?

mikestilly

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
eastmeyers wrote:
I CC at the Auto show the year before last.  Went through an entrance without medal detectors, they just asked you to lift up your coat, they didn't ask, and I didn't tell.  Prop not a good idea in retrospece.  The whole 2500+ thing.

The 2500 seating capacity only applies to Entertainment Facilities per Section 5o:

(f) An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals or that has a sign above each public entrance stating in letters not less than 1-inch high a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals.

As I previously mentioned/asked: Is Cobo a Sports Arena and/or an Entertainment Facility?  Anyone? 

Cobo Arena is definitely an entertainment facility with much over 2500 person seating capacity. The auto show is not held in Cobo Arenea it's in the Cobo (Hall) convention area which doesnt have a seating area.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
SNIP
Cobo Arena is definitely an entertainment facility with much over 2500 person seating capacity. The auto show is not held in Cobo Arenea it's in the Cobo (Hall) convention area which doesnt have a seating area.
Thanks Mike. Now that it's known, wouldn't the entire building be considered a CPZ regardless--same as multi-screen theaters? If so, a CPL holder would be prohibited to CC in the building per Section 5o. CPL holders would not be in violation of any firearm laws if he or she were to OC...But will you get past the entrance?

G

imported post

Cobo Arena has a separate entrance to the entertaining facility with specified seating capacity.

All of the rooms in a multi-screen are one facility with one entrance for the same purpose with one seating capacity.

mikestilly

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
Cobo Arena has a separate entrance to the entertaining facility with specified seating capacity.

All of the rooms in a multi-screen are one facility with one entrance for the same purpose with one seating capacity.

Personally I CC in movie theaters normally with multi screens as long as their is no 2500+ sign. If it doesnt have a 2500+ sign I have no way of knowing their seating capacity is.

maustin195

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:

Personally I CC in movie theaters normally with multi screens as long as their is no 2500+ sign. If it doesnt have a 2500+ sign I have no way of knowing their seating capacity is.
If you read the Cobo web site they confirm that Cobo Arena is an adjacent but seperate facility.

StingMP9

Madison Hts-Carry M&P9mm CPL/NRA mem, Michigan, US
imported post

CV67PAT wrote:

As far as Cobo Convention Center goes, I speak from first hand experience, having both worked there and carried concealed, with mgt knowledge, for years.

And I have even been through the metal detectors after the security sweep just prior to black tie night. Upon presentation of my cpl, I was allowed access.
New member...came to this discussion to satisfy my curiosity on the issue of CC rather than OC to the autoshow. Thought I'd comment on what you said. I don't believe the general public would receive this "You're okay, go ahead" treatment that you got while working the show up to the event. During the show is when they enforce the no weapons policy.

For those who wonder what the ticket policy states on the issue, I grabbed my tickets this morning as I plan on going during the general event. It states:
"By use of this ticket, the holder agrees that: (a) Management (NAIAS, L.L.C.) reserves the right to refuse entry to the holder of this ticket by refunding the purchase price; (b) Management has the right to eject any person whose conduct Management deems disorderly; (c) no weapons of any kind permitted on the Show premises, and consents to a search of his or her person and possessions; (d) Management is the exclusive owner of all copyrights and other property rights to the Show; (e) Management shall have the unrestricted right and license to use the holder's likeness as included in any broadcast, telecast or photograph taken in connection with the Show; and (f) this stub does not permit re-entry into the Show.

G

imported post

StingMP9 wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:

New member...came to this discussion to satisfy my curiosity on the issue of CC rather than OC to the autoshow. Thought I'd comment on what you said. I don't believe the general public would receive this "You're okay, go ahead" treatment that you got while working the show up to the event. During the show is when they enforce the no weapons policy.

For those who wonder what the ticket policy states on the issue, I grabbed my tickets this morning as I plan on going during the general event. It states:
"By use of this ticket, the holder agrees that: (a) Management (NAIAS, L.L.C.) reserves the right to refuse entry to the holder of this ticket by refunding the purchase price; (b) Management has the right to eject any person whose conduct Management deems disorderly; (c) no weapons of any kind permitted on the Show premises, and consents to a search of his or her person and possessions; (d) Management is the exclusive owner of all copyrights and other property rights to the Show; (e) Management shall have the unrestricted right and license to use the holder's likeness as included in any broadcast, telecast or photograph taken in connection with the Show; and (f) this stub does not permit re-entry into the Show.
With reference to "(c)" as it applies to CC...

I believe that this has as much weight of the law as a no weapons sign posted in that is not a crime unless you are asked to leave and refuse.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

StingMP9 wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:

The issue is, if the hall is public property (owned by the city) thenthat policy is unlawful. If it's considered private then they can ban firearms.

G

imported post

Venator wrote:
StingMP9 wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:

The issue is, if the hall is public property (owned by the city) thenthat policy is unlawful. If it's considered private then they can ban firearms.
Well that's the point of contention here.

MikeSilly, with his vast knowledge, believes that the government owned/contractor operated situation makes it a "leased" facility. Based upon my half vast knowledge and experience, I believe that the City of Detroit has contracted with various management firms/vendors to "operate" and not "occupy" thereby retaining "ownership and control". The city doesn't merely charge a lease fee, but rather receives a percentage of revenue received by the operators/vendors. All of the equipment is owned by the city. As is of course is the real property.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
SNIP
MikeSilly, with his vast knowledge, believes that the government owned/contractor operated situation makes it a "leased" facility. Based upon my half vast knowledge and experience, I believe that the City of Detroit has contracted with various management firms/vendors to "operate" and not "occupy" thereby retaining "ownership and control". The city doesn't merely charge a lease fee, but rather receives a percentage of revenue received by the operators/vendors. All of the equipment is owned by the city. As is of course is the real property.
If this is the case, COBO would be subject to preemption and the NAIAS prohibition of weapons (pistol) would be invalid regardless what's printed on the tickets?

G

imported post

That is my opinion. Cobo Arena also is pre-empted, but as a PEZ OC with a CPL would apply. It's only my opinion though. The question now becomes, is there a lawyer capable of arguing this in front of a jury?

G

imported post

Just read over at the crabgrass-roots gun site that their resident lawyer advertised that he would handle such a case for $10,000.

I'd be willing to do it, except that I feel having him represent me in an OC case would be like having my mother-in-law represent me in divorce court.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

If the City of Detriot (unit of Government) owns COBO, there shouldn't be a case to begin with. The ownership would be the entire building not just part of it that may include the area considered to be an Entertainment Facility that's an otherwise prohibited area under Section 5o for CC. If COBO is subject to pre-emption, wouldn't Section 5o be invaild?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
If the City of Detriot (unit of Government) owns COBO, there shouldn't be a case to begin with. The ownership would be the entire building not just part of it that may include the area considered to be an Entertainment Facility that's an otherwise prohibited area under Section 5o for CC. If COBO is subject to pre-emption, wouldn't Section 5o be invaild?
You have to follow state law, so entertainment facility, etc laws are state law. But with a CPL you can OC in those places in a governmental property.