• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed carry Michigan to Flordia

Franktroplis

imported post

I have a Michigan CPL. I will be driving to Florida this spring. Will I have to disarm/rearm at State lines? Is there a shortcut to be able to carry in Florida without jumping through too many hoops?

Franktroplis

imported post

It appears that my CPL from Michigan is honored in Florida. I am aware that Florida is a Non-Open Carry State. Besides that, is there any special Concealed Carry laws I should know about?

G

imported post

WaltherP99C wrote:
I have a Michigan CPL. I will be driving to Florida this spring. Will I have to disarm/rearm at State lines? Is there a shortcut to be able to carry in Florida without jumping through too many hoops?
I think someone was spoofing you about the border thing. Dougwg probably.:lol:

You're CPL is golden here in FL.

No printing. It must remain concealed.

No CC in the area of a restaurant that dispenses alcohol for consumption on the premises. In other words, don't sit in the "bar area". If it's not separated then I stay out of those restaurants.

Here's the link to Florida info:
http://handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

Rich7553

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
WaltherP99C wrote:

No CC in the area of a restaurant that dispenses alcohol for consumption on the premises. In other words, don't sit in the "bar area". If it's not separated then I stay out of those restaurants.

Not completely accurate. Printing is certainly to be avoided, but there is no penalty or punishment involved in an unintentional exposure. Most LEOs will normally just tell you something is showing or ask to see your CWFL.
Chapter 790 Florida Statutes
790.10 Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms.--If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
As far as where concealed weapons are prohibited,

790.06 (12)No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

G

imported post

rnascak wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
WaltherP99C wrote:

Not completely accurate. Printing is certainly to be avoided, but there is no penalty or punishment involved in an unintentional exposure. Most LEOs will normally just tell you something is showing or ask to see your CWFL.
Chapter 790 Florida Statutes
790.10 Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms.--If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
As far as where concealed weapons are prohibited,

790.06 (12)No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
You are absolutely right about my incomplete remark about printing. I really meant to inform him to avoid blatant printing like we're accustomed to doing in Michigan.

Rich7553

imported post

No problem. I'd encourage anyone with questions regarding concealed carry to join the forum at www.floridaconcealedcarry.comwhere almost any conceivable concealed carry topic is under discussion. There are a couple of lawyers who are NRA instructors who specifically address the legal points involved.

MackTheKnife

imported post

WaltherP99C wrote:
Check each state as to their recognition of your CCW and also whether or not Open Carry is OK if you are out of state. The McClure-Volcker Amemndment (1994?) to the GCA of 1968 says you can transport an unloaded handgun across state lines (city, county, etc.) to avoid having to check hundreds, if not thousands, of various municipalities' gun laws. When I drive from VA to FL, every state but GA recognizes my VA CHP. GA allows for Open Carry in a vehicle so I just putmy Kimber on the front seat until I'm in FL

Leader

imported post

WaltherP99C wrote:

When traveling out of your home state, I find it best to check here for if I can carry on my trip.

http://www.carryconcealed.net/packngo