• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Doomsday on history channel

bigdaddy1

imported post

Sabotage70 wrote:
Watching the pandemic one right now. Pretty scary stuff.:uhoh:
Yup, same here. I also watched the Armageddon Man, thought it was pretty stupid. Seems like scare tactics to me. My son asked me if I still had my guns. I did pick up some good tips on survival though. I never knew about the 9 volt battery and steel wool trick.

RayBurton72

imported post

It is amazing, that even as they talk about how "every where your go, it is dangerous" they still manage to make those with guns look like nutcases and thugs.

curtiswr

imported post

I watched one about the seven signs of the apocalypse, very briefly. Saw a part about an earthquake and gamma rays (apparently we won't become the Incredible Hulk).

But what was interesting was shortly after watching the part about the earthquake I saw this:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqinthenews/2010/nc71338066/

Magnitude 6.5 - OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
Saturday, January 09, 2010 at 04:27:38 PM at epicenter

:lol::lol::lol:

Sabotage70

imported post

I'm not a hunter but I think I could acquire a taste for jack rabbit. :lol:

And with the trailer where they did the steel wool gimmick. With all those cans Bugler tobacco. I can't believe there wasn't matches or a lighter around. :quirky

ODA 226

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
Sabotage70 wrote:
Watching the pandemic one right now. Pretty scary stuff.:uhoh:
I never knew about the 9 volt battery and steel wool trick.
I've known about that for years and actually used it to start a fire whenmy matcheswere soaking wet.....I started carrying a couple of lighters after that!

okboomer

imported post

Dryer lint works really well as tinder for a fire too, and I've got a couple of bags of that set back for camping. I am never without a lighter and fluid and flints. Forget the Bic ... get a Zippo.

I agree that they made the folks with guns look like thugs ...

When he gets the cut and developes the infection, I just had to wonder why they didn't at least show him making a poultice with the bread they were serving at the meal. Bread also grows penicillin ... you would think a paramedic would know that. And they were also serving moonshine at the meal ... alcohol ... antibacterial. And honey is a good antibacterial poultice also.

And then the way he lost the pistol, and they didn't take the shotgun ... puuuhhhhleeze ...

As far as I am concerned, this is one of the most explicit arguments for a personal armory ... not that I think anything WILL happen, but the only responsible thing is to be prepared for anything that MIGHT happen.

I know we had a thread going about this, but with the Bird flu scare last year and the H1N1 ... it wouldn't take very much to have a pandemic ravage the population. Then you would see OC of rifles!

With the record low temps and snowfall we have been experiencing the past couple of months, how many have had power outages? Were you ready for them? In January 2001 we got an inch of ice, then 10 inches of snow, then another 2 inches of ice. This whole town was without electricity for a week in temps below 20 degrees ... could you survive that? What supplies would you need?

AZkopper

imported post

"After Armeggedon" was filmed partially in Mayer, AZ--30 miles south of Prescott. It was the small gated town where the sheriff shot the looters. I patrolled Mayer for 2 years.

XD40coyote

imported post

I found it sad that having a gun was not stressed as important in even a small way, beyond the wife shooting the scumbag. When they found the car with the dead guy inside and the dad says " this guy must have thought he was a cowboy" or some such nonsense, that was stupid. My thought upon seeing the gun was " that guy was ready for self defense and was not some sissy metrosexual". Also, eww, looks like the guy was dead at least a few days and in soCal warm weather he musta been stinkin a bit and that smell wouldn't just air out, and even Febreeze wouldn't have helped alot LOL. The emt guy can be macho enough sit in dead guy goo on a car seat and handle dead guy smell, but he doesn't "get" having a gun, esp with his wife and kid in tow?

The cut on his hand- I was like " why didn't he pour some of that moonshine on it?" . Surely if he was the "doctor", he had some of that moonshine in his medical kit for sanitizing things. Wash the wound out well immediatly and wrap it up to keep dirt and stuff off it. Check it a few times a day, rewash with the booze stuff, and re wrap with a fresh bandage. My mother was watching this part of the show and said " he just needed some Bag Balm" LOL. I said " well he should have looted a feed store huh?". Bag Balm is amazing stuff, well at least on chickens it is. I once had a hen that a rooster had ripped her back open and deep while mating. It was an awful wound and I thought we'd have to put the hen down, but dad stuffed bag balm in the wound and we monitored her twice a day putting more on/in the wound, and she freakin recovered after a few weeks! It healed and there was no infection.

The Armageddon Man show- I was like "where's his shotgun or EBR, and his pistol, and extra mags and ammo?" Cripes at least have a pistol and extra ammo.

9MM Owner

imported post

I've been watching The Discovery Channel and their shows dealing with each posible cause that could end life on Earth. Alot like The History Channel's Universe series. Very interesting that both The History Channel and The Discovery Channel are showing these shows. Both are great series!

Sabotage70

imported post

Well it did take place in Kalifornia after all.:quirky

The cowboy comment was over the top too.

Another thing about the truck. They may have got it to start but how did he unlock the steering?

bigdaddy1

imported post

Sabotage70 wrote:

Another thing about the truck. They may have got it to start but how did he unlock the steering?

Didnt you hear the "key in ignition" chime dinging away when he tied those two wires together?

Dreamer

imported post

Sabotage70 wrote:

Yeah, they forgot to tell you that you need to pull the ignition switch mechanism, AND remove the steering wheel, and pull out the lock plate assembly to permanently unlock the steering wheel.

That old "hotwiring" trick may work on a pre 1960 vehicle (before steering locks became commonplace), but certainly NOT on any vehicle made in the last 25 years in Japan, the US, or Europe.

Heck, my first car was a 1969 VW Beetle, and even THAT car had steering lock.

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
You dont have to pull the steering wheel, just pop the lock assy out, the pin is inside.

I used a dent puller to get the lock assy out once, it worked like a charm.

Oh and you can brute force the pin to break by twisting the steering wheel on many models.

Sabotage70

imported post

A lot of the Japanese imports, all it takes is something jammed in the ignition to get them to start. Mother in-laws 280z was stolen by using scissors back in the early 90's. And from watching cops and some of the other cop show. For the older 70's and 80's gm cars. the thieves would shatter the column. And when they do that the headlights are stuck on hi and they can't dim them.

Dreamer

imported post

Getting back to the ORIGINAL topic of this post...

These "apocalypse" type programs on Cable are nothing more than "predictive programming". They are used to implant the ideas of upcoming events into the consciousness of the public so that when these sorts of things finally DO happen, we won't THINK critically about them, and will just go along with whatever comes along, and will not question WHY these sorts of event happened.

Food shortages, disease "outbreaks", civil unrest, martial law--it's all part of a well-documented plan that is slowly and incrementally being carried out.

I'm all for people being prepared. As an Eagle Scout, I was taught when I was very young to be resourceful, to plan ahead, and how to survive. My work experience with various DOD folks has given me a lot of exposure to some people with very high-quality training in this field, and as someone who camps, hunts, hikes, and mountain bikes, I know that my survival depends on my knowledge, resourcefulness and preparedness.

The vast majority of people in this country wouldn't have the FIRST IDEA how to survive for even a few weeks if they didn't have running tapwater, electricity, and fuel for their vehicles. Luckily, I have educated myself over the years, and have confidence in my own abilities tocare for myself and my family.

If the "SHTF", I have a "game plan", not only for immediate survival, but for ultimately retreating to a "safe haven" that is far away from the coastal "Constitution-Free Zone". I have full confidence that I can get myself and my family to a safe place, where the Rule of Local Law will remain intact, and where we will have the resources necessary to live (water, food, fuel, shelter). We might not be living in comfort and style, but at least we'll be safe and well-fed...

So what are the se programs REALLY all about? They are to condition the masses to think that when these things occur, they will be helpless, and that the criminals, gangs, an thugs will rule the streets in the urban areas--and this is probably true.

It's what these shows DON'T tell you that is really the key part of the story though...

What they DON'T tell you is that the majority of the urban areas of this country are along a 100-mile wide strip that runs all around the boarder of the continental US. What they DON'T tell you is that although THAT zone will be full of death, destruction, mayhem and lawlessness (and will ALSO be locked down by the government under martial law) the vast majority of the real-estate of the US (the interior) will continue to remain relatively untouched by any "epidemics" and will most likely remain unaffected by any sort of "terrorist attacks". They might lose electrical power when the Grid fails--they may not have working water and sewage services for a while, and there may be a little increase in crime as the thugs flee the cities on the coast, but the people of the interior of the USA are resourceful, self-sufficient, and most important, believe strongly in LOCALIZED power, and will do EVERYTHING they can to re-establish normalcy in their daily lives, rather than wait for the Nanny State to fix the problem for them.

That's why my family will be grabbing our "GOOD" bags and heading for WV if anything really drastic happens in the future.

The 100-mile Coastal Urban Helplessness Corridor may disintegrate into mayhem and lawlessness, but I have faith in my fellow "Interior Americans" that they will keep the "flame alive" no matter what sort of ill winds may blow out of NYC or DC, or the Hague.

Food, fuel, water, shelter, and ammo. Pack some bags, and Be Prepared...