• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Pistol Is Vehicle Roll-Over Safe

PDinDetroit

imported post

Lucky to be alive guys!

On the way back from Florida last Saturday, I hit black ice at 50 MPH, went sideways into the ditch, and rolled my SUV twice landing right side up. Never had an accident like that ever before - pretty scary stuff. This occurred right near Lima OH on I-75 Northbound. I was carrying my S&W M&P 9 in Condition 0 in an IWB Holster and it did not fire (thank God!).

I called 911 and the Ohio State Police showed up within 10 minutes along with Fire Rescue and an ambulance. I immediately declared to them that I am a CPL Holder from MI and am currently concealing. The officer thanked me over and over saying "people like you make my job easier". I had my pistol case with me and the officer had me unholster, unload, and store it in the case for them to take possession of. I had blacked out for about 10 seconds during/after the rollover, so they took me to the local hospital to be checked out (was carried on a backboard by 6 firefighters to the ambulance). Other than 2 scratches on my left hand and a mild concussion, everything checked out fine. Even my laptop was A-OK, which went out the back window and was 30 feet from where the vehicle ended up.

2 Things that really sucked coming out of this: My SUV was totaled-out and I got my first ticket in 15 years ($110 and 2 Points). The ticket was "Failure to Maintain Reasonable Control". I haven't yet decided if I am going to show-up in court or not to fight this.

When I went back to get my Pistol from the Lima Ohio State Patrol Post, they could not find it and it took them about 20 minutes of searching the property room to find it. I was told I was lucky they could find it from the Sargent there (Don't even get me started on that remark :cuss:). The other officers were fine and we talked for about 5 minutes about my Pistol and how much they liked it.

So, glad to be back here in MI in one piece.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

Glad to hear you survived that with what sounds like only minor injuries compared to what was possible.

kevron2020

imported post

Check to see if the points transfer to michigan. I got a 3 point ticket in florida for an improper lane change, ( 3 lanes, went from far left to far right to avoid debri from the truck in front of me ) Points didn't transfer to Michigan. I just paid the fine and called it good. If the points don't transfer I would pay the fine and be done with it. I personally wouldn't take time off work to go to Ohio to fight a traffic ticket, specially if I already have to deal with insurance about a totaled vehicle. Adding a court case to that would just be a PIA. Oh yeah, I was on a motorcycle for my "Improper Lane Change"

manicdevery

imported post

Yes, very happy to hear that you are safe now and in Michigan. i would almost worry more about Ohio police on average than the rollover. i am pretty pro LEO but have had unlucky encounters with Ohio LEOs.

Glad you are fine and your firearm did not add to an already horrible situation.

Devery

SlowDog

imported post

Glad to hear your ok. Not sure if it is the same in a POV but if I get a ticket in the Buckeye in my semi & I pay it within 7 days it just disappears. They just want the money.

ad313am

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
if you decide to just ignore and not pay it, they may issue a bench warrant for your arrest. Not a big deal, unless you happen to get pulled over in ohio in the future......
Yep happened to me. I got a speeding ticket in OH in 1999 in my work truck. The trooper told me OH does not share info with MI as far as points and traffic matters. I've still not paid the ticket and have only been through OH twice since then. Last year i called to just take care of it and the OSP told me they had no record of the ticket and there was no bench warrant in my name:D Case closed!

cmac1108

imported post

ad313am wrote:
lapeer20m wrote:
if you decide to just ignore and not pay it, they may issue a bench warrant for your arrest. Not a big deal, unless you happen to get pulled over in ohio in the future......
Yep happened to me. I got a speeding ticket in OH in 1999 in my work truck. The trooper told me OH does not share info with MI as far as points and traffic matters. I've still not paid the ticket and have only been through OH twice since then. Last year i called to just take care of it and the OSP told me they had no record of the ticket and there was no bench warrant in my name:D Case closed!
my father was issued a "great driving" award from a "special" Ohio State Trooper while he was in a work truck. he turned it into the company they wanted to fight the ticket. got a court date the Ohio courts sent my father a letter saying that his license and the plates on the vehical he was in were going to be suspended for non payment

ad313am

imported post

freightman360 wrote:
ad313am wrote:
lapeer20m wrote:
my father was issued a "great driving" award from a "special" Ohio State Trooper while he was in a work truck. he turned it into the company they wanted to fight the ticket. got a court date the Ohio courts sent my father a letter saying that his license and the plates on the vehical he was in were going to be suspended for non payment
Good thing i don't work for that company anymore! Matter of fact they don't even exist (Media One).

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

freightman360 wrote:
ad313am wrote:
lapeer20m wrote:
His DL? How can Ohio suspend a Michigan DL? Or does your dad live in Ohio?

Hendu024

imported post

Venator wrote:
freightman360 wrote:
ad313am wrote:
lapeer20m wrote:
His DL? How can Ohio suspend a Michigan DL? Or does your dad live in Ohio?
I'm not sure off the top of my head if Ohio is included, but many states now are involved with the federal databases. If you are suspended in one state, you are suspended in most. I got suspended in Maine a while back, and it prevented me from getting my DL in VA... until I found a loophole.. :p

Bronson

imported post

Hendu024 wrote:
I'm not sure off the top of my head if Ohio is included, but many states now are involved with the federal databases. If you are suspended in one state, you are suspended in most. I got suspended in Maine a while back, and it prevented me from getting my DL in VA... until I found a loophole.. :p

Let me get this straight....

Your Maine DL got suspended and then when you moved to VA they wouldn't give you a license because of the Maine suspension, correct?

That is completely different than somebody being a resident of MI witha MI DL and Ohio threatening to suspend it.

Bronson

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Hendu024 wrote:

I'm not sure about DL's, but this was the reason commercial licenses went federal many years ago (CDL). Its sole purpose was to eliminate (mostly) suspended OTR's from obtaining licenses in other states where they were notpreviously suspended.

Edit: Grammer.

Hendu024

imported post

Bronson wrote:
Hendu024 wrote:

Let me get this straight....

Your Maine DL got suspended and then when you moved to VA they wouldn't give you a license because of the Maine suspension, correct?

That is completely different than somebody being a resident of MI witha MI DL and Ohio threatening to suspend it.

Bronson
OK I obviously didn't do a good job at making the connection. What I was getting at is that many states now have the authority to suspend/revoke a DL from another state. I'm not sure how many are/aren't included, but this was a big topic of discussion between my lawyer and I at the time I was dealing with it.