• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DuraCoat Firearm Coatings

IamMick

imported post

I just got my Beretta 96FS back from a local vendor who DuraCoats firearms. I chose to get the Urban Digital Camouflage if anyone wants his number PM me. Here are some pics.

IamMick

imported post

[align=justify]I got this info from a DuraCoat website.
[/align][align=justify]
[/align][align=justify]DURACOAT IS NOT A DIPPING PROCESS. DuraCoat is a two part chemical coating. Unlike other firearm finishes, DuraCoat was created specifically for firearms. Other firearm finishes are "spin-off's" from other industries. [/align][align=justify]How durable is DuraCoat? [/align][align=justify]DuraCoat is permanent. With normal use, a firearm finished with DuraCoat will last several lifetimes. [/align][align=justify]Is DuraCoat Teflon based? [/align][align=justify]No. Teflon is a lubricating coating, which is great for internals, but will not wear as well as DuraCoat on the exterior surface of a firearm. DuraCoat's combination of elasticity and hardness creates a finish impervious to impact, scratching and the elements. Some users say DuraCoat displays some lubricating qualities, but this phenomenon was never intended when DuraCoat was created. Since then DuraCoat has been blended to incorporate the lubricating properties desired by todays' shooters.[/align][align=justify]Will DuraCoat adhere to hard coat anodizing and Parkerizing? [/align][align=justify]DuraCoat loves hard coat anodizing and Parkerizing as a base. Both processes leave a good rooting surface for DuraCoat. [/align][align=justify]Can DuraCoat colors be blended together? [/align][align=justify]Yes. All DuraCoat colors can be intermixed. With a handful of standard DuraCoat colors, we can create an infinite number of colors by blending them. [/align][align=justify]I hunt along saltwater. Will DuraCoat withstand the salty environment? [/align][align=justify]Certainly. DuraCoat is well suited for salty environments. One of DuraCoat's attributes is its extreme ability to resist salt corrosion. A firearm coated with DuraCoat simply will not rust...EVER! [/align][align=justify]Will DuraCoat burn off my barrel? [/align][align=justify]DuraCoat can withstand temperatures as high has 500-600 degrees F. With "normal" shooting, your barrel will never get close to being that hot. If you are fortunate enough to own a transferable machine gun, or if you like to "blaze" with your semi-auto, do not put DuraCoat on your barrel, as your barrel temperature will rise to over 1,000 degrees F. In those cases, we would use DuraHeat. Our DuraHeat coating can handle temperatures up to 1,800 degrees F. [/align]

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I've duracoated a couple of my guns Mick. It's an easy do it yourself project and yes, it does hold up very well.

Mine come out the same color though. I'd go slap the fellow that did yours. It has square spots all over it:uhoh::p

Oh...don't Duracoat a Handi Rifle. It won'y lock up well and you have to take the darn stuff off.

IamMick

imported post

ed wrote:
IamMick wrote:
if anyone wants his number PM me. Here are some pics.
is it secret? why not just POST it?
Cause I am helping him advertise around the forums a bit and by having to PM me I can give him a heads up of who wants work done and what they are looking for.

IamMick

imported post

Curtis wrote:
I wouldn't mind getting my Mossberg 500 done up in DuraCoat. What color though, I'm not sure.
I have a Mossberg 500 as well and am thinking of doing like ghost flames with white and dark blue fading into darker flames then fading into the black of the gun.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Mick, make sure you give it a real workout. Sometimes it has just enough buildup in places like the breechface, to cause problems. Aside from that, you're gonna love it.