Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have any open carriers ever had their handgun taken by robbers?

Banned

Post imported post

I like to open carry and think it deters crime. Those who conceal carry only argue that open carriers are tactically sound and leave themselves open to attack. I have never read any story which has proved this, but the other day I did see a post on another forum which interested me. Apparently a Fairfax man was robbed of his gun back in 2006 while open carrying.

Here is the link to a police

I still think open carry is the best way to carry. There is no proof the men who robbed the man were strictly after his gun. Even if they did target the man for his gun this is the only story I have ever read about a regular joe having his handgun taken while open carrying.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

From the very limited amount of info in that report, it sounds like the man's situational awareness was none existant. Anyone out walking at that hour of the morning 4:10 AM should never let another person slip up on them like that.

Post imported post

I can't find the story, but I believe that this incident was later proved false.

Post imported post

This story about the Centreville Oc'er that was robbed of his firearm is false.

Anyone wishing to to find more about the story can and should contact Fairfax County PD Sully District.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

I am convinced the story is false since others were claiming it happened in Indiana. I just can't figure why it would be on a .gov web page.

Still, I figure it's a matter of when, not if a similar incident will happen. But what we can say for sure is that it's so rare it's not really a decidng factor when considering CC vs OC.

Cops have been robbed, sometimes shot and killed to get their guns. But there are millions of them open carrying daily, and at best, thousands of us openly carrying daily or some what regularly. There is no solid evidence I've seen to suggest we're any less likely to be attacked than cops, only theoretical opinions like how we'll shoot first and cops will try to arrest first, so criminals fear us more.

Bottom line is that OCing probably does make us safer when done prudently, and in my experience getting punks to back off it definitely does, but situational awareness and shooting skill is by far the most important aspect of staying safe by carrying.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Banned

Post imported post

Seems as if the only documented cases have been robbers wearing badges.

Taking by means of force or fear, with no intent of ever returning the property.

Post imported post

Almost EVERY single instance of an LEO having his gun grabbed by a BG who then use it against the LEO, started when the LEO was involved in a physical struggle to apprehend or subdue a BG.

When you are wrestling with a BG who is desperate and willing to do ANYTHING to get away, retention of your firearm is VERY important.

Since very few OC'ers are involved in wrestling a fleeing BG, or trying to physically apprehend desperate criminals, the chances of an OC'er getting his gun taken are VERY slim.

Also, since anyone who is OCing should have an elevated Situational Awareness at ALL TIMES, this elevatd alertness greatly reduced our chance of some random attacker getting close enough to whack us on the head and steal our gun.

In fact--and the above Centreville VA "incident" bears this out--we have not be able to find a SINGLE news story in recent history where an OC'er was targeted for a firearm theft specifically because he was OCing.

Such criminal incidents are virtually non-existent.

The only people who unlawfully take firearms from law-abiding OC'ers are LEOs...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

The only report that I heard of a gun being take from an open carrier, non LEO turned out to be false. Turns out a 21 yr old left his daddy's 1911 on the T- paper dispenser of a public toilet and it got stolen, so he made up a story that he was mugged and his (daddy's) gun was taken..

Woody

Post imported post

woodyga wrote:
    The only report that I heard of a gun being take from an open carrier, non LEO turned out to be false.
    A security guard in Gary Indiana who posts here, if I remember right, was shot in the shoulder and robbed of his gun. Being in a uniform doesn't seem to help, and neither does living in a dangerous area.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    I just can't figure why it would be on a .gov web page.
    It is on the gov web pg becasue it was reported as a crime, but LE later determined that there was no firearm theft just a false report.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    This story about the Centreville Oc'er that was robbed of his firearm is false.

Anyone wishing to to find more about the story can and should contact Fairfax County PD Sully District.
    +1 I spoke to the detective in charge of that case two years ago. Most certainly false, and if you use the "search" function on this website you will find the details.

Banned

Post imported post

You would think the police would edit their page to reflect that it was a false report.

Post imported post

You would, unless it's a ruse. But then one would know that if they used the search function.....

Banned

Post imported post

bohdi wrote:
    You would, unless it's a ruse. But then one would know that if they used the search function.....
    What about people who don't come on this forum?

The fact is it is posted on a police website and you would think they would remove it if false. At least note at the bottom of the report that it is false.

Post imported post

Valid point. The phone number to the PD hasn't changed though.....so folks not visiting this site could pick up the phone and call. Though that would require some effort on their part.

You might be surprised by this but the FCPD DOES update it's website quite frequently. I know, I visit it daily. They also DO update case information when it is incorrect. In this particular instance, the investigation took quite a bit of time to sort out. So going back in time to provide an update to the case on the website for that particular day, was not in their interest, as it didn't serve their needs or the publics regarding the case.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Posting a "report" going back 4 years and not searching for validity is not responsible. This "report has been much discussed and proved false.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
    I like to open carry and think it deters crime. Those who conceal carry only argue that open carriers are tactically sound and leave themselves open to attack. I have never read any story which has proved this, but the other day I did see a post on another forum which interested me. Apparently a Fairfax man was robbed of his gun back in 2006 while open carrying.

Here is the link to a police

I still think open carry is the best way to carry. There is no proof the men who robbed the man were strictly after his gun. Even if they did target the man for his gun this is the only story I have ever read about a regular joe having his handgun taken while open carrying.
    Sounds like a good argument for a lanyard and a backup weapon carried concealed!
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    woodyga wrote:
    The only report that I heard of a gun being take from an open carrier, non LEO turned out to be false.
    A security guard in Gary Indiana who posts here, if I remember right, was shot in the shoulder and robbed of his gun. Being in a uniform doesn't seem to help, and neither does living in a dangerous area.
    If you're talking about this guy, there are a lot of reasons to believe he's a fraud.
    - No news story appeared anywhere for the incident. Even in Seattle there would be news reports for an incident like this.
    - The forum allows one to view the posts a particular member makes.
    Posts today (July 2009):
    2:15pm
    2:28pm
    2:40pm
    2:47pm
    2:54pm
    2:57pm

That’s a lot of posts in a very short time for a guy typing with one (his off) hand. No spelling or grammar errors, no spacing errors...
    - Several other people have questioned his truthfulness. Too much about his story stinks and he cannot or will not answer questions when he’s asked.

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    Michigander wrote:
    woodyga wrote:
    If you're talking about this guy, there are a lot of reasons to believe he's a fraud.
    - No news story appeared anywhere for the incident. Even in Seattle there would be news reports for an incident like this.
    - The forum allows one to view the posts a particular member makes.
    Posts today (July 2009):
    2:15pm
    2:28pm
    2:40pm
    2:47pm
    2:54pm
    2:57pm

That’s a lot of posts in a very short time for a guy typing with one (his off) hand. No spelling or grammar errors, no spacing errors...
    - Several other people have questioned his truthfulness. Too much about his story stinks and he cannot or will not answer questions when he’s asked.
    Noticed the same thing - no confirmation, no report, nada. Very, very surprised that no confirmation was offered nor requested.

Even so, it doesn't meet the test of a citizen OC snatch or preemptive strike as he was a uniformed security officer.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

Here is a story of a guy that stole a gun from a concealed carrier. This is the only story of anyone having their gun stolen that I know of.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/06/stri...life-sentences
    If Obama is the answer; how stupid was the question?

Post imported post

Thanks for the link.

Post imported post

Anthony_I_Am wrote:
    Thanks for the link.
    The link is basically worthless as the story is 4 years old and was proved false a short time later.

Yata hey

McX

Post imported post

well kwick, i'll give you this; not too many robbers would try to sneak up on you, and a glow in the dark orange gun will be easy to spot and recover. i would consider letting a robber have one part of my gun, that lead thing that comes out the end.

Post imported post

Ifwe could find an OCing private citizen whohad his gun grabbed, and there wasno doubt as to it having happened, so what? How many people have been shot and foundto have guns on their persons still in IWB rigs or ankle holsters? My point is,if one OCer had their gun grabbed, you still couldn't convince me to CC to deter having mine targeted by a BG. Stats are still on the side of OC even when the"gun grab" scenario can actually be provenas real, which I'm sure at some point it will be. Just no evidence of it yet... :P

Post imported post

McX wrote:
    i would consider letting a robber have one part of my gun, that lead thing that comes out the end.

An old girlfriend used to tell me, "if the criminals want my gun, they can have it, bullets first."
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast