• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Have any open carriers ever had their handgun taken by robbers?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Anthony_I_Am wrote:
Thanks for the link.
The link is basically worthless as the story is 4 years old and was proved false a short time later.

Yata hey

M

McX

imported post

well kwick, i'll give you this; not too many robbers would try to sneak up on you, and a glow in the dark orange gun will be easy to spot and recover. i would consider letting a robber have one part of my gun, that lead thing that comes out the end.:D

TJ347

imported post

Ifwe could find an OCing private citizen whohad his gun grabbed, and there wasno doubt as to it having happened, so what? How many people have been shot and foundto have guns on their persons still in IWB rigs or ankle holsters? My point is,if one OCer had their gun grabbed, you still couldn't convince me to CC to deter having mine targeted by a BG. Stats are still on the side of OC even when the"gun grab" scenario can actually be provenas real, which I'm sure at some point it will be. Just no evidence of it yet... :p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

since9 wrote:
McX wrote:
i would consider letting a robber have one part of my gun, that lead thing that comes out the end.:D

:lol:

An old girlfriend used to tell me, "if the criminals want my gun, they can have it, bullets first."
Or only those parts that are semi-automatically removed.

Yata hey

P.S. Did you get a younger one? :lol:

M

McX

imported post

i've got a question; if i'm open carying, and someone makes a grab for my gun, being the aged, no relative of bruce lee guy i am, can i draw on them and tell them to back the hell off?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

McX wrote:
i've got a question; if i'm open carying, and someone makes a grab for my gun, being the aged, no relative of bruce lee guy i am, can i draw on them and tell them to back the hell off?
Likely that you are going to be in a mano-a-mano situation - there are defensive methods that can be employed by the least of us - best to learn and practice some.

That said, there is likely an assault and maybe an assault and battery here (Va. terms) that should allow for an active response. Just do not forget to recognize when the threat is over.

Simple answer: probably - know your state laws and review case law. :?

Yata hey

M

McX

imported post

first thing i would try is to get distance. then if they persist, try to slap their hand away, maybe use my firearm as a club, and bop them over the head with it?

M

McX

imported post

i'm trying to think it through, an action of trying to take my firearm i would read as assault, maybe theft, robbery? i have a duty, just like the cops to retain my firearm, so i'd have to go the distance on whatever would develope and happen. get my butt out of there would be my first instinct. modify that to;get my butt, and my firearm out of there!

NightSleeper

imported post

McX wrote:
i'm trying to think it through, an action of trying to take my firearm i would read as assault, maybe theft, robbery? i have a duty, just like the cops to retain my firearm, so i'd have to go the distance on whatever would develope and happen. get my butt out of there would be my first instinct. modify that to;get my butt, and my firearm out of there!
I wouldn't view this as attempted robbery, but attempted assault or murder. The reason they are going for your gun is to draw it on you. And yes, that means pushing him away and drawing on him is legal. That would be my stance in the court room anyhow.

4angrybadgers

imported post

McX wrote:
first thing i would try is to get distance. then if they persist, try to slap their hand away, maybe use my firearm as a club, and bop them over the head with it?
Using your firearm as a club is a horrible idea... For one, it's not guaranteed to be non-deadly (blows to the head can kill). Second, in going through the motions of using it as a club, you're going to be pointing the muzzle in some unsafe directions. Third, you're inviting a hand-to-hand scuffle that could end up badly for you if your assailant gets the upper hand.

Not to mention potential legal issues. If you aren't justified in using deadly force by using the firearm as it's meant to be used, then drawing it and swinging it as a club probably won't be justified either (again, because blunt trauma to the head can be quite deadly).

protias

imported post

4angrybadgers wrote:
McX wrote:
Using your firearm as a club is a horrible idea... For one, it's not guaranteed to be non-deadly (blows to the head can kill). Second, in going through the motions of using it as a club, you're going to be pointing the muzzle in some unsafe directions. Third, you're inviting a hand-to-hand scuffle that could end up badly for you if your assailant gets the upper hand.

Not to mention potential legal issues. If you aren't justified in using deadly force by using the firearm as it's meant to be used, then drawing it and swinging it as a club probably won't be justified either (again, because blunt trauma to the head can be quite deadly).
o%20hagan%20-%20shenanigans.jpg

super20troopers20shenanqr3.jpg

shenz.jpg

namcop1

imported post

As a retired, 30 year veterian LEO, I have worked in a state that does not allow open carry and now live in a state that allows open carry. The only problem I have with open carry is that most states that do allow it, make you carry the weapon "unloaded". The criminal know this and their weapon is loaded. :cuss:. My personal opinion is that if your going to carry, the weapon should be loaded. But, and this is a very big but. The person carrying the weapon must have attended a safety course. And I don't mean some 8 hour, in and out course. Carrying a firearm is a very serious matter. The person carrying it must have a knowledge of the weapon and most important, the laws that apply to using it. Our country was founded on certain rights, among them the Right to Bear Arms. This is a right that should be taken with a look at the underlying knowledge that we have to know what we are doing with the firearm. In today's world, the criminal can get a firearm just by going to the right area of town and giving someone a hundred dollars or so and walking away with it. The common citizen must wait three to seven days and undergo a background investigation. WE, as a people, must get off our butts and let the government know that we will not be held hostage by the criminals of this country. For me, I'll tell anyone that wants to take away my guns, come and get them. But make sure your insurance is paid up.

protias

imported post

namcop1 wrote:
As a retired, 30 year veterian LEO, I have worked in a state that does not allow open carry and now live in a state that allows open carry. The only problem I have with open carry is that most states that do allow it, make you carry the weapon "unloaded". The criminal know this and their weapon is loaded. :cuss:. My personal opinion is that if your going to carry, the weapon should be loaded. But, and this is a very big but. The person carrying the weapon must have attended a safety course. And I don't mean some 8 hour, in and out course. Carrying a firearm is a very serious matter. The person carrying it must have a knowledge of the weapon and most important, the laws that apply to using it. Our country was founded on certain rights, among them the Right to Bear Arms. This is a right that should be taken with a look at the underlying knowledge that we have to know what we are doing with the firearm. In today's world, the criminal can get a firearm just by going to the right area of town and giving someone a hundred dollars or so and walking away with it. The common citizen must wait three to seven days and undergo a background investigation. WE, as a people, must get off our butts and let the government know that we will not be held hostage by the criminals of this country. For me, I'll tell anyone that wants to take away my guns, come and get them. But make sure your insurance is paid up.
I'm not sure where you are located, but I'm guessing CA. In WI, you can carry in loaded, same with many other states.

Bailenforcer

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
I like to open carry and think it deters crime. Those who conceal carry only argue that open carriers are tactically sound and leave themselves open to attack. I have never read any story which has proved this, but the other day I did see a post on another forum which interested me. Apparently a Fairfax man was robbed of his gun back in 2006 while open carrying.

Here is the link to a police

I still think open carry is the best way to carry. There is no proof the men who robbed the man were strictly after his gun. Even if they did target the man for his gun this is the only story I have ever read about a regular joe having his handgun taken while open carrying.
True and False

yes it deters most crimes. BUT!

More and more officers and I have been comparing shootings where the Bad guys show up with rifles due to the lack of hand gun ammo, and when they show up they have itchy trigger fingers. Now knowing the criminal backgrounds of some of these robbers who some had open murder warrants and shooting warrants we worry that some innocent OC might find himself in the middle of a 5 man crew who's robbing places. The types who do this have already had several shootings with the Police in the last 3 months where they just open fire. The concern is that some OC might not see it going down till after the bad giys see his OC gun and knowing the M.O. of these thugs they will shoot first.

Now this discussion series comes from PRO OC LE.

I think that combat handgun training and I don't mean range time, will be important to your survival as OC.

Also not the media has NOT reported all of these 5 and 7 man crew robberies. They are also doing 5 to 7 man crew home invasions loaded for a fire fight. Some when arrested stated they know people CC so this is why they show up with a CREW. CREW = 4 to however many guys armed.

My persoanl; advice is for some on here to get combat handgun certified and start training others in full combat handgun tactics.

Please never think that range time = combat handgun training, it's not even close.

read books by Massad Ayoob like Stressfire. These will also help you gain th mental edge as well. When I OC which is admit is rare I also CC another backup. 98% of the time I CC for the same concerns.

Now once we have a few hundred thousand people oc, then the potential of being targeted by a CREW goes down.

Final summary, yes OC will lower crime.

Bailenforcer

imported post

McX wrote:
If you ever watched the news when someone is pistol whipped the media goes on a feeding frenzy over it. BAD BAD idea. many guns when impacted can or will fire accidentally. BAD BAD idea.....

Great for a Movie, bad IDEA for you.

Bailenforcer

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Anthony_I_Am wrote:
Thanks for the link.
The link is basically worthless as the story is 4 years old and was proved false a short time later.

Yata hey
yes BUT!

The concept is still valid, it can happen and will happen eventually as people become complacent. I use an askins avenger holster and my elbow touches it when I carry so I will know when someone goes for it. I am a 255 pound former power lifter, and even at my age can still fight. So grabbing my gun will cause then facial trauma. I also carry that S&W Model 19 snubbie 357 Magnum Backup in a quick to get position and loaded with 125 grain JHP's I think the grabber might have a bad day...