• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to talk to a business about an OC outing?

Dmack826

imported post

Guys as you can tell im new to the site. I have met a few of you at the OC meet and greet at Theo and Stacy's a month or so ago, and it got me thinking about trying to talk to the local pool hall and see if we could have another get together there. Ive only OC'd a couple of times and it makes me nervous as all heck but i thought that other people might like to get together and shoot some pool and talk amongst like minded people. Any info that you could give me would be appriciated greatly. Thanks in advance.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

The best advice I can give is to know the laws. Business owners may get apprehensive about OC outings merely from not understanding the laws. If they ask a question you need to know the answer. Also if they serve alcohol ask if they'd give permission to non CPL holders to OC there. Other than that be confident and just ask. The worst a place can do is say no, and you move on to the next one that wants the business. Then post the info on here giving people time to RSVP and to plan accordingly. Work closely with your coordinator for your area to make sure your event doesn't conflict with others to insure the best turnout possible.

Franktroplis

imported post

Business owners like money. Keep that in mind. Everything you say should inspire thoughts of $$$ in their heads. Even a liberal will abandon his hatred of guns in favor of his love for money. Keep that in mind with every thing you say.

EM87

imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
Also if they serve alcohol ask if they'd give permission to non CPL holders to OC there.

Business owners can give someone permission to break the law on their property?

sprinklerguy28

imported post

EM87 wrote:
sprinklerguy28 wrote:
Also if they serve alcohol ask if they'd give permission to non CPL holders to OC there.

Its not breaking the law. It is following the law as written.

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor;
penalty.
Sec. 234d. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
(b) A church or other house of religious worship.
(c) A court.
(d) A theatre.
(e) A sports arena.
(f) A day care center.
(g) A hospital.
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of
1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that
firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
(b) A peace officer.
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the
permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or
a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
History: Add. 1990, Act 321, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991;—Am. 1992, Act 218, Imd. Eff. Oct. 13, 1992;—Am. 1994, Act 158, Eff. Aug. 15, 1994.

Bronson

imported post

EM87 wrote:

If you don't have a CPL they can't give you permission to conceal but they can give you permission to OC in their PFZ without a CPL.

Bronson