• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holsters that accomodate laser sights

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

I want to get a laser sight for my XD-45ACP and a hoster to OC.

I just fired off 100 rounds at the range today. I never fired a handgun before. My target results at close range were very disheartening. I have'nt fired a gun that did not have a scope on it in the last twenty years. I am having a hard time with front and back sights that are only six inches apart. Or do the make after factory sights that are better that what comes on the XD-45ACP?

I was looking at laser sights at gun show yesterday(Sat). They had some mounted on dummy trainig pistols. I could hold the dot on tight spot across the arena.

any replies are appreciated.

Greg

Michigander

imported post

First of all, welcome to the sight. :)

A stock XD 45 will have 2 things working against the beginner handgun shooter. A long and un crisp trigger pull, and fairly snappy recoil. Not the easiest handgun to start off with, but by no means a terrible choice. It's a reliable gun with good power and capacity and it's definitely a very effective gun with a little practice.

Anyway, a laser sight, depending on the type of gun and holster, will often not change the holster fit. As far as holsters, there are 2 brands I suggest. Safariland and Blackhawk. Any Level 2 or 3 holster from either manufacturer that looks good to you will work well.

To improve your target shooting, before you get a laser sight, there are 2 things I suggest. 1 handed, fast point shooting without the use of sights at up close targets. Rex Applegate made several notable books about training to do this. The most popular is Kill Or Get Killed, a book that a weapons enthusiast should read intently.

The other thing I suggest doing some of is 2 handed aimed firing, often called "modern technique" pistol shooting. I have not put so much effort into studying this method, because up close and under stress (sort of stress, I try to simulate adrenalin rushes by running really hard then engaging targets) I've found point shooting works better for me. Books about 2 handed aimed shooting are also available.

By the way, just to make it clear, I do think a laser sight is a good idea, I just suggest that you improve your aim a bit to make sure your basic technique is where you want it first. And by the way, speaking of the iron sights, a company called "XS Express Sights" makes some very easy to aim sights, and they are worth taking a look at.

There are many people here more skilled and knowledgeable than I am when it comes to hand gun techniques, and hopefully they will post soon with other pointers.

Hope that helps. :uhoh:

markand

imported post

Crimson Trace makes laser units that fit around the polymer grip of their XD-45. Check out the details on their web site, and I think this is the unit you need:

http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Products/SpringfieldArmory/LG445/tabid/315/Default.aspx

If you shop around at gun shops or gun related web sites, you should be able to find a better price.

My wife has an XD-40 with the appropriate laser grip and she loves it. It does increase the thickness of the grip slightly.

This type of laser would resolve the holster issue you were concerned about, as no special holster is required - the laser fits entirely on the grip. I have 3 SIG's with similar laser grips (P229, P220 and P239) and have been very happy. I have real problems with iron sights due to issues with my eyes (oh to be 18 again...) and the laser grips are almost essential in my case.

Keep practicing!

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

Thank you

Michigander - I ordered a set of 24/7 Express Handgun Sights. They will be ALOT bettter to aim with than what came standard.

markand - I plan to visit more gunstores in larger cities to see if I can experience what those Crimson Trace Laser Grips will feel like.

I will definitely practice more.

lil_freak_66

imported post

i would think that certain rail mounted laser sights would interfere with a standard holster,as well as increase the weight up front,which would increase the probability to droop,then theres the thing about pressing the pressure switch.

id strongly suggest the crimson trace grips,doesnt really affect grip size or hold or anything in a negative way from what ive noticed.

Damiansar-15

imported post

Have you thought about laserlyte's sight mounted laser? This will not cause any fit issues with your holsters, including kydex ones, which often cover most of the pistol at high tolerances (at least the quality kydex holsters do).

http://www.laserlyte.com/New_Products/New_RL-XD.html

I would also recommend getting a red dot sight for your pistol as another option. I think I am going to get a JP micro red dot for my polymer-framed 1911...We utilized red dots on our carbines, why not use compact ones on our pistols, as well? The JP micro sight will also work for most kydex holsters...

http://www.jprifles.com/1.6.1.php