• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry - WVU

eers2you

imported post

Greetings.

I am a former West Virginia resident currently residing in Arizona. I have an Arizona CCW permit (resident)which is honored by West Virginia. I read on several different online sources that West Virginia, among other states(Utah being the primary one) allows carry on collegiate campuses. WV statute does not read that carry cannot be made illegal/overridden by universities, as Utah's does, but it does note that carry is not prohibited by a state statute.

I will be in Morgantown and was wondering if I will legally be able to carry a concealed weapon (pistol) while on the West Virginia University campus. I found varying online sources, none official, that varied. Some read that it is legal to concealed carry only for students and faculty, that it was legal for all with a recognized CCW permit, etc.

So, again, will I be able to carry concealed while on the campus (I'm thinking mainly at the basketball games)? And also, could I open carry?

Thanks for any insight.

wolf_from_wv

imported post

http://www.wvu.edu/~adminfin/policies/facilities_policies/WVU-PS&TS-03.html

Possession or storage of a deadly weapon, destructive device, or fireworks in any form (as defined by West Virginia State Code) is prohibited on the West Virginia University campus in University-leased facilities and in University vehicles.
Any University faculty member, staff member, or student who has been found in violation of this policy shall be subject to disciplinary action for misconduct which may include termination or expulsion as well as criminal prosecution. Individuals not affiliated with the University shall be subject to criminal prosecution.

Sig229

imported post

wolf_from_wv wrote:
http://www.wvu.edu/~adminfin/policies/facilities_policies/WVU-PS&TS-03.html

Possession or storage of a deadly weapon, destructive device, or fireworks in any form (as defined by West Virginia State Code) is prohibited on the West Virginia University campus in University-leased facilities and in University vehicles.
Any University faculty member, staff member, or student who has been found in violation of this policy shall be subject to disciplinary action for misconduct which may include termination or expulsion as well as criminal prosecution. Individuals not affiliated with the University shall be subject to criminal prosecution.

That's horrible. WV folks are usually pretty logical about such matters.
WVU probably made that rule considering how many NY, NJ and MD residents go to that school.

press1280

imported post

This is actually quite common with only a few exceptions:UT schools, Colorado State, Blue Ride CC in VA. College campuses are notoriously anti-2A and will continue to be so.

As far as criminal prosecution, there may be a question if places are not specifically signed as prohibiting weapons. The school wouldn't require visitors to read their policy before entering, so how will anyone know? They could ask you to leave, of course, but I'm not sure they could automatically have you arrested and successfully charged. But IANAL and I'm not aware of any court precedent addressing this in WV.

wolf_from_wv

imported post

POLICY ON FIREARMS
Any persons who, without express written permission of Fairmont State/Pierpont, enters or remains on any part of property owned, leased, or otherwise used by Fairmont State/Pierpont, or any structure or conveyance thereon, carrying or possessing a firearm or other deadly weapon, who temporarily refuses to relinquish possession of such firearm or other deadly weapon or to leave such premises while in possession of such firearm or deadly weapon shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars or confined in the county jail not more than six months or both unless such person is a law enforcement officer, other person exempt by law or has express written permission from Fairmont State/Pierpont.
WV Code 61-7-14

http://www.fairmontstate.edu/admin/campussecurity/policies.asp