• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry pistol when 20 years old

pilotcranny

imported post

hello everyone,

i just wanted to know if anyone who is between the age of 18 - 21, has bought a pistol through a private seller and had some type of run in with LEO while open carrying? I know that you can be 18 + and buy a pistol from a private party seller, and you only have to be 18 to open carry so i know its legal.

any stories would be great

thanks

vegasche1023

imported post

I've been carrying for almost 2 yrs now and all my encounters have been positive(with the exception of a few cops giving me a 3 hr lecture). As long as you act mature and responsible while carrying I doubt anyone will give you a hard time.

beltfed is great

imported post

im just curious what was the lecture about, was it positive or negative? or was it a speech about leave the gun carring to the law?:question:

aadvark

imported post

Yes one may Open Carry at 18 years old in Arizona, the same not being a Violation of Arizona Law 13-3111, nor being in Violation of Federal Law 18 U.S.C 922(x).

The thing I disagree with is that..., its OK to carry a Pistol at 18, but damn all to Hell and back if an 18 year-old is going to buy a Pistol at a Gun Store, notwithstanding the fact He is probably carrying one on His hip while attempting to do so.

This is a classic, and one of many, double standards on just exactly what an 'Adult' is, or rather... when this Country considers Him as an 'Adult'.

vegasche1023

imported post

beltfed is great wrote:
im just curious what was the lecture about, was it positive or negative? or was it a speech about leave the gun carring to the law?:question:

I've had lectures about only cops should carry a gun, open carry is "ignorant" and dangerous(wait till 21 to ccw), and my favorite was being called a "paranoid fool"

JesseL

imported post

vegasche1023 wrote:
I've had lectures about only cops should carry a gun, open carry is "ignorant" and dangerous(wait till 21 to ccw), and my favorite was being called a "paranoid fool"
A police officer (who was presumably open carrying at the time) lecturing on how dangerous and ignorant open carry is? I suppose he figured that he was the only one professional enough to do that?

Ltp0wer

imported post

Hey, first post on the forum. I know this thread is nearly a month old, I hope bumping like that is okay around here. I'm 18, and I've been open carrying since my 18th birthday in september. It hasn't even been half a year (even though it seems like a long time since I've been carrying) but I still haven't had ANY negative experiences.

The only things I remember:

Once, a guy in home depot asked me what guns I own and where I like to shoot. He told me about how much he loved his glock.

Another time, at taco bell, a person around my age asked me in a completely curious way, if I am legally allowed to carry. I told him "Yeah" and he said something along the lines of "Cool, I thought so".

Another time, while open carrying on our newish light rail, A overheard a lady ask her friend "Is he allowed to do that?" And she said something like, "This is Arizona, it's a wild west sort of thing." And I mildly chuckled.