• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bakersfield Open Carrier on the TV News

yelohamr

imported post

I saw that too. He may have tried to post here, but couldn't because the forum was down.

But then, I was OCing before I heard of Open Carry or Calguns.

pullnshoot25

imported post

I can't hear the audio at the moment for that video, but the police reactions look pretty funny and oh-so-typical.

If he had a fishing license, that would just make this whole thing all the more savory.

Gundude

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
I can't hear the audio at the moment for that video, but the police reactions look pretty funny and oh-so-typical.

If he had a fishing license, that would just make this whole thing all the more savory.

The cops mumbled something about a municipal code against carrying in the park and asked him to leave.

The large lady thought everyone with a gun would shoot the kids.

pullnshoot25

imported post

Gundude wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:

The cops mumbled something about a municipal code against carrying in the park and asked him to leave.
Silly cops, that muni code is defunct!

Gundude

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
Gundude wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:

They knew that. Thats why they didn't arrest him. Just rousted him.

pullnshoot25

imported post

Gundude wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:
Gundude wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:

They knew that. Thats why they didn't arrest him. Just rousted him.
At least their neurons haven't been totally glycated :)

onedavetoomany

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
Gundude wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:

Can you cite the statute or case law that preempts local laws against carrying? All I can find is GC 53701 which just seems to preempt liscensing and registration laws...

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/53701.php

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

You're looking too narrowly. All local laws are preempted by state laws if they conflict.

Article XI, §7 of the California Constitution:

A county or city may make and enforce within its limits all local, police, sanitary, and other ordinances and regulations not in conflict with general laws.

Get A Gun

imported post

I do have a CCW but chose not to carry that day incase I had a run in with the PD. The PD was actually really down to earth did not even do a weapons check. They actually said on camera that they are on our side but of course that was left out of the interview. He also stated that bad guys don't open carry.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Get A Gun wrote:
The PD was actually really down to earth did not even do a weapons check. They actually said on camera that they are on our side but of course that was left out of the interview. He also stated that bad guys don't open carry.
All three of these points are very good, especially coming from LEO. Do you happen to have your own recording of this?

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

It seems Bakersfield Municipal Code does not exempt LEO from "taking into, exhibit, use or discharge any firearm, weapon, or slingshot" in a city park.

Javelin throwing is also prohibited :cry:as well as speaking without a permit. :cuss:

chewy352

imported post

"Hey, we can do this. You don't want to see it, then change the laws.'"

I hate this quote. I/we can see what he means concerning shall issue ccw but I think the general public is going to say "we need to outlaw open carry"

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Too bad the unloaded carriers keep forgetting to explain the limitation on loading properly - they alwasy just say the guns have to be unloaded when that is not the case.