• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

forum

tyguy808

imported post

Oh man, I missed you guys the last couple days. I was lost without my OCDO.

But seriously, I noticed on Friday afternoon that I couldn't load it up (not on IE8, Firefox or my BB), I thought It was maybe me.Then, it worked, kinda over the weekend. Then 0001 Monday, BAM, its gone again.

I'm glad I checked this AM, I needed my OCDO. I was stuck at another site (un-named) blahblah, whiners there.

Richard6218

imported post

It was indeed an attack. I PM'ed John Pierce about it and he said they were having a "refusal of service" problem and they were working on it. That was yesterday. Obviously they now have it solved. I'd sure like to know who's hacking our site.

grishnav

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
It was indeed an attack. I PM'ed John Pierce about it and he said they were having a "refusal of service" problem and they were working on it. That was yesterday. Obviously they now have it solved. I'd sure like to know who's hacking our site.
Denial of service...

Tawnos

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
grishnav wrote:
Denial of service...
Ok, nerd language apart, can we put this in english?

So what happened? Who stopped us from gathering on our wonderful virtual living room?
A denial of service attack is where a determined attacker repeatedly attempts to connect to a resource, making it so that nobody else can use the resource. A DDOS, or distributed denial of service, is where the attacker uses a network of attackers, generally the compromised computers of the computer illiterate, to attack a single target.

The effect is similar to having you and 5000 of your friends show up to a city council meeting and repeatedly talking, such that nobody else may talk or hear what's going on.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Thank you Tawnos for the english.

Anyways, so where did everyone go during the attack? I was confused, I had nowhere to safely hide. I didn't know where to go!!

Richard6218

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
Poosharker wrote:
grishnav wrote:
Denial of service...
Ok, nerd language apart, can we put this in english?

So what happened? Who stopped us from gathering on our wonderful virtual living room?
A denial of service attack is where a determined attacker repeatedly attempts to connect to a resource, making it so that nobody else can use the resource. A DDOS, or distributed denial of service, is where the attacker uses a network of attackers, generally the compromised computers of the computer illiterate, to attack a single target.

The effect is similar to having you and 5000 of your friends show up to a city council meeting and repeatedly talking, such that nobody else may talk or hear what's going on.
This is something akin to the technology version of the Cloward-Piven Strategy to destroy an economy by overwhelming it with impossible demands. But seriously, what appeared to have happened was that the discussion forum was disabled but the main website was accessible, as were a couple other sub-pages that nobody really uses. It's pretty obvious that some anti-gunners were deliberately sabotaging our site, and my guess is it will happen again. :cuss: I just wish there were a way to catch the SOB --- they do this because they know it's hard to get caught.