• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legislation

gunluvinatty

imported post

There are two bills before the Mississippi Senate which every CCW holder should vocally support. Both are sponsored by Senator Chris McDaniel, District 42. Here are the bills:

Senate Bill 2019
http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2010/pdf/history/SB/SB2019.xml
Title: AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 45-9-101, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO DELETE THE PROHIBITION AGAINST CARRYING A CONCEALED WEAPON INTO A PUBLIC PARK BY A PERSON HOLDING A CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT; TO AMEND SECTION 45-9-53, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO CONFORM; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.

Senate Bill 2020http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2010/pdf/history/SB/SB2020.xml
Title: AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 45-9-101, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO DELETE THE PROHIBITION AGAINST CARRYING A CONCEALED WEAPON IN A CHURCH OR PLACE OF WORSHIP; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.

I encourage you to contact your senator and tell him/her to support this legislation. Contact information for senators can be found here.http://www.capitolconnect.com/demoassoc1/legislatorsearch.aspx Enter your zip code and under "Chamber Type" click "State Senate".

gunluvinatty

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Forget concealed carry crap, if you actually are what your nickname alludes to, why not have the courts/legislature clarify the right to OPEN carry in Mississippi?
Whoa. Not sure where that aggression comes from, but I'll try to answer you nonetheless.

1. I don't feel CCW is "crap."

2. Open carry is not an issue for which I am willing to invest tens upon thousands of dollars. If you feel so strongly, I will be happy to accept a retainer.

3. I can't just challenge the law without a client/case. So, again if you feel so strongly about the issue, go out and get yourself arrested for open carry. You can then hire me and we'll ask the court to "clarify" the issue at that time.

imported post

1. I do, which is why I'm on a board titled "Open Carry."

2. / 3. LOL, I wish I had a dollar for everytime a Mississippi attorney said that very thing. "Go get arrested, spend your life's savings with me."

Now I fully understand why Jesus defended spending His time with whores, but criticized the lawyers.

4angrybadgers

imported post

Thanks for posting the info, gunluvinatty. Don't be put off by the resident flamethrowers - certain members don't realize that not everyone in this world can afford to jeopardize our jobs and lives for the benefit of a court case. :quirky

imported post

If you'd take the time to read the sufferings of the persons who signed the declaration of independence, it might be an eye-opening experience.

There actually ARE some Americans (not Amerikans) who WILL expose themselves to risks in order to do that which is right. Not many, but a relative few.

Question: not if, but when the 2nd American revolution occurs, just who's side are YOU going to be on?

4angrybadgers

imported post

If you'd take the time to read the sufferings of the persons who signed the declaration of independence, it might be an eye-opening experience.

There actually ARE some Americans (not Amerikans) who WILL expose themselves to risks in order to do that which is right. Not many, but a relative few.

Question: not if, but when the 2nd American revolution occurs, just who's side are YOU going to be on?
I have read about the Founding Fathers and all they went through. Don't try your condescending bullcrap on me, you certainly won't help your case any by acting like you're the paragon of knowledge.

Doesn't mean I can subject my family to deprivation to fight a court case. 1 Timothy 5:8 instructs a man to "provide... for his own", or he is "worse than an infidel".

Sides? Why are we picking sides? Are we going to play Red Rover or something else? :quirky If a second revolution ever happened, I certainly wouldn't be hanging out with you. I'd be with family and friends, those who I know are upstanding individuals and not just pathological attention-seekers.

imported post

Gee, you certainly live up to your nickname.
The anger of not one, but FOUR badgers, LOL...........

Your very own words about covering your arse made me think you've NOT read about their sufferings.

"Not providing for your own" doesn't excuse cowardice. By NOT standing up for what's right, you are NOT providing security for your own children's future.

Knowing the signs of the times, there's certainly no sense in waiting till the absolute last minute to make important decisions. Yes, I AM a "pathological attention seeker attempting to focus attention on the loss of ALL of our rights, not just OC.

Why anyone would be bothered by such is beyond me.

4angrybadgers

imported post

Gee, you certainly live up to your nickname.
The anger of not one, but FOUR badgers, LOL...........

Your very own words about covering your arse made me think you've NOT read about their sufferings.

"Not providing for your own" doesn't excuse cowardice. By NOT standing up for what's right, you are NOT providing security for your own children's future.

Knowing the signs of the times, there's certainly no sense in waiting till the absolute last minute to make important decisions. Yes, I AM a "pathological attention seeker attempting to focus attention on the loss of ALL of our rights, not just OC.

Why anyone would be bothered by such is beyond me.
My nickname comes from a humorous description of an engine. So your sad attempt at humor falls flat.

I can't do anything about the Founding Fathers' decisions. They chose to put their families' lives at risk, that was their choices and they bore the responsibility.

Calling my avoidance of unnecessary and unprofitable suffering for my family "cowardice" is dishonest. I agree, if I do not ensure my family's safety, then I am not providing for them. However, I do provide for their safety as much as I can within the existing laws, and not at the cost of their physical existence. I determine the priority there for my family - not you, not anyone else.

Your history on OCDO shows that you refuse to work with the community, and insist on "your way or the highway". I'm trying to explain just one reason why your way doesn't work for everyone everywhere, but apparently you won't listen to reason, so I'm not going to waste any more effort.

OP, sorry for furthering the threadjack. I'm done.

JT

imported post

Thanks for the heads up gunluvinatty. Will definitely contact my reps and the governor concerning these bills once I read the fine print.

Forget concealed carry crap, if you actually are what your nickname alludes to, why not have the courts/legislature clarify the right to OPEN carry in Mississippi?
I have a better idea Mark. Lets do both. I'll take any concession towardsliberty Ican get in the mean time. While I'm writing concerning removing the prohibition in parks and churches I'll also mention theconvoluted logic in our judiciary thatseeks to deny the plain language of article 3 section 12.

str8ofakind

imported post

why do we have to get arrested first to challenge the law. you ask us to support a bill without getting arrested for it first. let's ask our reps to change the definition of open carry before we all get arrested. we are not an open carry state as long as the courts say a holster partially conceals our weapon. why is ccw crap? because we must have ccw permit to open carry.

Revolver_Ocelot

imported post

gunluvinatty wrote

1. I don't feel CCW is "crap."
1. I do, which is why I'm on a board titled "Open Carry."
Pay no attention to mark. He's a hypocrite who has lost all credibility on the "board titled "Open Carry" when he was recently photographed illegally CCing.

gunluvinatty, thanks for keeping Mississippi gun owners abreast of this important legislation.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Pay no attention to these people who hide behind nicknames.
No, Mark was NOT photographed illegally carrying, but that is what the morons on this board want everyone to believe.
admitnothing.jpg

Revolver_Ocelot

imported post

Pay no attention to these people who hide behind nicknames.
No, Mark was NOT photographed illegally carrying, but that is what the morons on this board want everyone to believe.
Ah. Well I've never met you in person, so I honestly wouldn't know you if I ran into you somewhere. If your telling me that it wasn't you in the photographs at the motorcycle shop, then I apologize.

imported post

Why are people on this board so easily mislead?
You ASSUME it was someone else.
The pic taken by this bozo IS me, but I was UNARMED, one of the very rare instances I am in public without my .357
Suggestion: quit letting the morons here do your thinking for you,
try thinking on your own.

gunluvinatty

imported post

Good gracious. I started this about pro-gun legislation and now it has been hijacked into a petty schoolyard shouting match. :banghead:

I'm gonna "unwatch" this thread and let the bickering continue w/o me.

JT

imported post

How about you folks that have nothing better to do than hound Mark from thread to thread go back to your own state forums. We can handle Mark if we disagree with him. The thread is about about pending MS legislation not Mark. Take your petty squabbles elsewhere please. All you accomplish is ruining every thread you show up in.

turbodog

imported post

JT wrote:
How about you folks that have nothing better to do than hound Mark from thread to thread go back to your own state forums. We can handle Mark if we disagree with him. The thread is about about pending MS legislation not Mark. Take your petty squabbles elsewhere please. All you accomplish is ruining every thread you show up in.
Your right JT.

Unfortunately, some of us over here (myself included I'm afraid) just have a knee-jerk reaction to mark.

If I post over here I'll try to make a point of staying on topic.

And speaking of topic, good luck with the legislation.

JT

imported post

turbodog wrote:
And speaking of topic, good luck with the legislation.
Thanks turbodog. I just checked the status of the legislation. Apparentlyboth measures died in committee. Back to the drawing board. We can still encourage Sen. McDaniel to re-introduce the legislation at the earliest opportunity and try to get more Seanators to sign on. It's frustrating but the battle goes on. Thanks again to gunluvinatty for bringing this to our attention.