• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Introduce yourselves here if you are new!

Monkeytown

imported post

I'm not really new. Been around about 6-8 months and made a handful of posts. Thought I'd introduce myself though. I'm live about 30 miles north of Montgomery, AL.

ParaWarthog

imported post

Hi there! I met you at the show this weekend, and we spoke about the occasional good deals at Marks Outdoors and met the gentleman from Wyoming. I want to thank you again for spending your free time helping to educate people on their rights. I haven't posted in a long while since I don't extensively read the forum as often as I would like, but I wanted to drop in and say hello and thanks again!

Deacon Blues

imported post

Like Monkeytown, I'm not new. In fact, I've been around since '07, but haven't posted for a long time. I tried to organize a meet-up for people interested in starting an AL gun rights org, but didn't have any luck; it was others here who eventually got ALFRA going. Since then, I've been rather busy with work and haven't been very involved. I'm looking to change that, though.

It's encouraging to see all the recent activity here. Things are looking up for AL!

BluesStringer

imported post

I've been a member here since '07 too, but haven't been posting for most of the time since joining. I'm in Madison. I want to be active in restoring our rights under the Constitution, and though I strongly believe that most all of them are threatened to one degree or another, I figure devoting a large part of my activism to 2nd Amendment issues makes sense because without the 2nd, we don't have a prayer of restoring the rest of 'em. Also, while it's true that we enjoy a fairly gun-friendly government here in Alabama, our CPL law is still "may issue" and access to our rights remains in the hands of local law enforcement, not in our own hands. "Gun-friendly" or not, we've got a lot of work to do here.

Hope to meet y'all in Birmingham at the OC event at Dreamland BBQ on Feb. 6.

Blues

Jeff Chandler

imported post

I'm new here never really lurked here before either, but was refered to the thread about open carry at Dreamland and got enterested. I hope to get a little more familiar with this site over the next few days. Thanks

47_MasoN_47

imported post

New member here. I've visited the site a good bit in the past but just now got around to registering. I'd like to be able to OC but I don't know anyone else in the Florence (Lauderdale County) area that does and I don't want to get hosed by the police. I've already called the FPD and they all think that OC is illegal :(

Any other Shoals area members here?

AirBear

imported post

Hi Mason,

Just read your post about Florence and the response to questions you received from the PD there ref open carry. As sad as it may seem, the fact of life is many police officers do not know the laws they are paid to enforce. Please do not let that hinder you from enjoying the freedom we as Alabamians have when it comes to open carry.

Do not take my word for it, research the Alabama code Section 13A-11-73 and under "Notes to decisions" you will find a person on foot does not need a license to openly carry a pistol in Alabama. There have been two notable court cases to support that decision, Morris v State and Looney v State.

I understand your apprehension on testing the waters, but I assure you open carry is legal in Alabama. If you live in a jurisdiction where the local authorities do not know the law, or may disagree with it, be prepared to quote the law to them if you are challenged.

I recommend that you carry a voice recorder at all times. This is for your protection in the event of a traffic stop, a stop and frisk, or any detention however slight by any authority.

I assume you already possess a concealed license to carry in Alabama. That is a necessity when carrying in your automobile or concealed on your person.

I want to welcome you to this site, this forum and to the brotherhood of like minded individuals who, like you, are responsible for the safety and protection of themselves andtheir families. Those who recognize the limitations of police in performing their jobs are best served by assuming the responsibility themselves.

Don't hesitate to contact any of us here to get any encouragement you feel you need to take that first step in exercising a basic human right, one that is legally recognized in Alabama.

47_MasoN_47

imported post

Thanks a lot for that reply, that's very useful. One of the FPD lives across the street from me (he's a detective) so I think I'll drop by one afternoon and talk to him about these court cases and that section of the AL code. Maybe I can get him to spread the word to his friends. I do have a CC license for AL (have since the day I turned 21) but there are times (mostly in the summer) when I get very sweaty and would like to OC to avoid getting my pistol all nasty.

Thanks again,

Mason

smttysmth02gt

imported post

47_MasoN_47 wrote:
Thanks a lot for that reply, that's very useful. One of the FPD lives across the street from me (he's a detective) so I think I'll drop by one afternoon and talk to him about these court cases and that section of the AL code. Maybe I can get him to spread the word to his friends. I do have a CC license for AL (have since the day I turned 21) but there are times (mostly in the summer) when I get very sweaty and would like to OC to avoid getting my pistol all nasty.

Thanks again,

Mason

Please post again once you speak to him. I'd be interested in finding out what his response is.

TAnderson

imported post

New here and first post. Live 25 miles northwest of Birmingham. I have a concealed permit but very interested in open carry.

dixieborn

imported post

I'm another "kinda new but not that new member"... been around since last year. But it's good to see so much interest and so many people! I happily OC around Mobile frequently, have had a couple run ins with MPD, but nothing too serious. I try to educate them (gently) as much as I can. I also recommend the voice recorder and having the laws with you while OC'ing... I don't really expect many of the cops (especially the kind more controlled by their ego) to just take my word for it and accept that they are wrong on the issue without some evidence.

shepcam

imported post

I am new here and just became aware of the OC laws and this website. I CC sometimes but will be interested in finding more about OC. I look forward to talking with all of you!

Tide210

imported post

Tuscaloosa here. It would be cool to meet up with people in this area like Birmingham, Hoover, Mccalla etc.

Vondelta

imported post

Hello All,

In Ardmore area here. I have lived in Alabama for 3 years, and had my pistol permit revoked for a short time. I was accused of harassment, but it was thrown out by the DA without ever going to court. I didn't even know there was a warrant on me till I tried to renew my permit, and they said I had an outstanding warrant! That is behind me now, and no action taken, so as soon as I get out of Iraq, I am going to renew my permit again. I'm looking forward to meeting some like minded people, and doing some socializing and shooting with you guys.

boogm

imported post

Hi everyone, I live just north of Pinson.My first time on the site.Look
forward to many exchanges of information, thoughts and ideals pertaining
to our 2nd amendment rights and both forms of carry :)