• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Introduce yourselves here if you are new!

Adoette

imported post

Didn't realize that Alabama was open carry friendly myself until my Dad mentioned something offhand the other day.

It's nice to see that not only can we open carry, but there are so many people on here that are passionate about supporting our rights to do so.

Anyone in the Shelby County area? Curious about whatlocal LEOs have to say about open carry.

Any other ladies on? Could use some advice there too. :)

Brad_G

Soon to be Birmingham........., Alabama, USA
imported post

I'm about to leave the Active Army, move to the Birmingham area, and join a Reserve unit.

I'm an avid shooter and just started shooting USPSA a few months ago.

I've started a website that is tailored to Alabama shooters. We are brand new and are looking for more people to join up and help us promote the firearms community and eduacate each other.

Make sure you check out the forums, post a few comments and grow with us!!

Click the link before to check it out.............................

ALABAMA SHOOTERS ASSOCIATION

bairdboyd

imported post

Hi all, newbe here,an adult femaleliving in winston/cullman county area of Alabama. I saw the story on 42 news last night and it peaked my interest. Today my job carried me to an unsavory area of B'ham Al.I was told by MANY people to carry a gun, and i did. on my belt, i did keep it covered and do hold a valid permit for this weapon. I wanted to openly carry but was told by a Cullman County officer that it was not legal and it could be considered "BRANDISHING A WEAPON" by law enforcement. LOL, looked up the word "brandishing",( to shake or wave menacingly). So tell me how a holstered weapon on your belt could be considered BRANDISHING? Maybe itsthe wiggle in my walk?:celebrate

Smitty40

imported post

Hey all! Another newb here! If anyone knows any current info for Marshall Co. concerning OC I'd like to hear it or if you could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

Hey. The officer you spoke with was misinformed on the law. The way the law looks at brandishing, is having it concealed and unconcealing it to"intimidate" or "threaten". Or when Open Carrying, you pull it out of the holster or "gesture" that you have a weapon in a "threatening or seemingly way".

I wish that CBS 42 had aired more of my interview because I sited a few laws to help people understand OC better. Good luck!

If you have any questions, just ask someoneand you'll get an answer or a place to get that answer.

-Tim B.

imported post

While I'm in Louisiana, I pass through your state often.
It would be nice to time our schedule to coincide with an OC outing, if ya'll happen to have one.
The guys in Nevada have the right idea, they OC on the strip in Vegas, HIGHLY visible.
Sure beats the hell out of hiding at Shoney's, the norm for Louisiana.

CamB.0106

imported post

I from Cullman Alabama. I just started OC and it is kind of freaky cause I feel like I am the only one that does it around here :shock:. I like to OC cause it is a right I have and Iwant to be active using that right.I have not be stopped by the CCPD or CCSD yet! I am waiting to be questioned by them tho (NOT hoping to be). I know several CountyDeputies, so I guess I should go and find out their thoughts on OC.

eye95

imported post

Welcome.

I think it's wise to know how deputies and police officers will react before you encounter them during OC.

stormrider

imported post

Joined tonight. If ya read bamafirefighter22's post about OC in Dothan, that's my boy. Been cancealed carrying for years, no permit, don't tell. Now this open carry has me really interested. But before I go that route, it makes me think about getting a CC permit because you're supposed to haveone to carry in your vehicle. And this new AL law, if passed, will, by way of smoke and mirrors take away some of your rights. Read the whole bill.

Alabama law requires a $1. min. for a permit. Used to be $10. in Houston Co. Now it's $20 and the sherriff can do as he pleases with your hard earned $$$$. Plus, I like what Ted Nugent says about permits, "the 2nd Amendment is my permit".

KCinBAMA

imported post

Hi All,

I'm an absolute newbie in every way. I don't even own a gun...yet. My wife mentioned a concern and after awhile I realized she was fine with carrying a weapon at night; from work to her car and when shopping at night. Figured I'd better do some research. WOW. I'm overloaded with info, was researching CC when this OpenCarry caught my eye - solves a lot of CC problems...but, it appears to introduce new ones.

Anyways, I'm excited to learn all I can so we can make good first purchases, learn correct and safe techniques, etc.

KC
Madison, AL

eye95

imported post

Welcome.

OC is easier. You don't even need a permit, except in your car. The restrictions on where you can go are the same as for CC. It's just that if you OC, folks'll know when you are someplace you shouldn't be.

Make sure you know the law and carry a voice recorder. There are still a few rogue LEOs out there who don't know the law or don't care.

eaglesouth

imported post

Greetings all,

I am a fairly new member although I have been reading posts for awhile.

I live in the Calera /Montevallo area which isabout 35 miles south of

Birmingham. I have been a CC holder for about 15 years and am getting

really interestedin trying OC.

Have a great weekend and remember those that made the ultimate

sacrifice for the freedoms we enjoy but must stand up for on a daily basis.

Kirbinator

imported post

I think the best way to describe myself is that I am a resident of Alabama. And call me crazy, but I believe that what isn't illegal is legal to do. Having lived in Birmingham for four years, I do not like to find out that my friends have been victimized by crime. Therefore, I seek to be free of crime and to that end, carry a pistol.

Lukas Farber

imported post

Yep I admit it I have been lurking for about a year now. I was living in Enterprise before the Army saw fit to move me and mine to Texas. I am now back in Alabama in my hometown of Alexander City on block leave before I go to Afghanistan. It is so nice to be in Alabama where I can open carry and get CCPs for my wife and myself for under 700 dollars.:celebrate