• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opinion sought on guns at county parks

Richard6218

imported post

I was planning to show up and put in my $.02 about the state constitution and preemption but regrettably discovered I have a schedule conflict. Short of going there I will be calling the key Council members today just so they hear from someone.

Next we need to get Whatcom County to get off the dime. I've been getting shuffled by my contact on the Council here for a year now. Any Whatcom residents are cordially invited to join me for a push to get this done. PM me if you're interested.

heresolong

imported post

I have a conflict called a job. How is it that local governments so often hold their public meetings when the taxpaying public is working?

And read the comments. The one by Shueh is hysterical. He quotes a post that doesn't appear to exist, and then claims that local governments can usually pass a law that is stricter than state law. Did he even read the state law before spouting his drivel?

Finally, what is the deal with amending your law to allow only CPL holders to carry in your parks? That still doesn't bring your law in line with state law. It would be interesting to OC while leaving your CPL at home if their law does change and then point out that you just didn't have it on you when you are hauled into court and sue for false arrest. Will their law specifically require that you be carrying your CPL on you while openly carrying? They couldn't enforce that, could they?

CAN THIS THREAD BE MERGED? There is another thread that deals with the proposed amendment and answers the questions I asked in paragraph three.

Richard6218

imported post

heresolong wrote:
I have a conflict called a job. How is it that local governments so often hold their public meetings when the taxpaying public is working?

And read the comments. The one by Shueh is hysterical. He quotes a post that doesn't appear to exist, and then claims that local governments can usually pass a law that is stricter than state law. Did he even read the state law before spouting his drivel?

Finally, what is the deal with amending your law to allow only CPL holders to carry in your parks? That still doesn't bring your law in line with state law. It would be interesting to OC while leaving your CPL at home if their law does change and then point out that you just didn't have it on you when you are hauled into court and sue for false arrest. Will their law specifically require that you be carrying your CPL on you while openly carrying? They couldn't enforce that, could they?

CAN THIS THREAD BE MERGED? There is another thread that deals with the proposed amendment and answers the questions I asked in paragraph three.
It probably should be merged. I hadn't read the Herald article before posting my comments to the Council's email, with copy to the other thread. I have just now read that idiotic article and now I wish I had used stronger language in my email. When will these people GET IT???:banghead:

jbone

imported post

Same problem, The meeting they hold at the start of thier work day, also happens to fall in the middle of my workday. What a great way to say se the public was not concerned; they did'nt show up to speak.

So as I would'nt give them that, I emailed my comment in as per John Koster's staff who worked the proposal.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
I was planning to show up and put in my $.02 about the state constitution and preemption but regrettably discovered I have a schedule conflict. Short of going there I will be calling the key Council members today just so they hear from someone.

Next we need to get Whatcom County to get off the dime. I've been getting shuffled by my contact on the Council here for a year now. Any Whatcom residents are cordially invited to join me for a push to get this done. PM me if you're interested.
When is this I'll go if I can. I haven't had much work lately.

Richard6218

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Richard6218 wrote:

When is this I'll go if I can. I haven't had much work lately.
Here's the link to the Council's info page: http://www1.co.snohomish.wa.us/Departments/Council/Contact/

The address is 8th floor, Bldg A, 3000 Rockefeller in Everett. The page has a link to a map, but it's pretty easy: take Exit 194 off I-5, right on Everett Ave, left on Maple, right onto Hewitt Ave and left on Rockefeller. There's a parking garage in the rear of Bldg A.

The meeting is scheduled for 10:30.

Good luck!

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Damn it's today!!! I didn't see that at first. I see they keep throwing out the buzz word "kids", I guess they feel they aren't worth protecting.

PoppaGary

imported post

I sent them a quick, terse, but polite email stating we already can carry and to refer to the RCWs so they can get their laws & rules in compliance.

I'm sure they will disregard since I do not live in the area, but it can't hurt.

Gary

Richard6218

imported post

PoppaGary wrote:
I sent them a quick, terse, but polite email stating we already can carry and to refer to the RCWs so they can get their laws & rules in compliance.

I'm sure they will disregard since I do not live in the area, but it can't hurt.

Gary
Anything you submit will be added to the public record, so that helps.

Richard6218

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Republican Councilman John Koster wants to change the county code so that people with a concealed-weapons permit would be allowed to carry guns onto county park property.
In other words, STILL wants to VIOLATE state law!

You guys are WAY behind the curve on this. Here is the text of the proposed ordinance:

http://www.co.snohomish.wa.us/documents/Departments/Council/Agendas/20044283.pdf

This bill would AMEND the county ordinance to comply with the RCW. Go to the third and fourth pages for the full text.

As of 1PM today I'm still trying to find out how the vote went --- anyone know?

jbone

imported post

I just called them and was told it did not pass.

Richard6218

imported post

jbone wrote:

Damn statist gun-haters :cuss:

We need to work up a new strategy. Maybe getting the AG into it might be a way to go.Any other ideas??? I'm going to go in a corner somewhere and SCREAM :banghead::banghead:

amlevin

imported post

jbone wrote:

There is a little bit of good news in that. At least they didn't f--- things up more. Now we just have an ordinance that is unenforceable when it comes to firearms. Any change would just throw more confusion into the mix.

Don't fret, just vote. It's way past time for gun owners to become the political action group that others have. We should be like:

Welfare Recipients

Illegal Aliens

Tree Huggers

Teachers

Unions

All of the above have become vocal enough that they instil fear in public officials when they don't get their way. We have votes too so why don't we raise our voices more as a group instead of individuals? How many here support one of the "Lobbying Groups" that advocate gun rights? On the other side of the coin, how many here just complain that they aren't doing enough?

amlevin

imported post

Don't be disappointed if there is a Picnic and no law officers show up. I've been carrying in Sno. County parks for the last couple of years and not even a peep. Heck, some of their parks are filled with armed hunters during hunting season, coming or going to the hunting areas.

I predict that the only problems in the future will be when someone is doing something MORE than merely carrying a handgun.

jbone

imported post

I Just had a nice talk with Barbara Chapman, Councilmember's Legislative Aide.

Councilman Koster is not happy with the outcome, very concerned about how his fellow councilmember's justblew off state law. It can be brought to the floor again, will take pressure on the other four councilmember's.

It was suggested that everyone write thefour law breakers that refused to recognize Councilmember's motion a letter, and you what to say. Imay even Cc County Executive Aaron Reardon, and the state AG as well. This is unbelievable, the arrogance of these four.

She also said the turn out numbers were good on the speaker side and sent in comments.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Somebody could bring charges against them or a lawsuit against them under the Coercion statute.

Or maybe they are waiting to see how the Seattle court case goes. Maybe if Seattle gets shot down, the county will look again.

I am up for a picnic in the park, right under the no firearms sign.
Given enough notice I will show up as well. Hotdogs areespecialy good when eaten next to no firearms signs.