• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ammunition discrimination?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
I think may stores do this to cut down on theft. Most ammo comes in relatively small boxes, and BG's can easily pocket a few boxes of most handgun ammo if they wanted to.
Maybe a few, ahem, GG's are in on the action too...

scorpio_vette

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
ammoman is pretty cheap, but not the cheapest all of the time. Remember his price includes shipping.

oh i wasn't aware that his prices INCLUDED shipping. that might make it a little closer than.

the website that i was looking at was ammunitiontogo.com
500 rounds starting at $98 and 1,000 rounds starting at $193. not sure how much shipping with them is.

and at the last gunshow i was at, i found a guy that sells bulk, and he quoted me $100 for 500 rounds. so i'm just assuming that 1,000 rounds would be even cheaper. i have his business card and was going to take a ride out to his place once i get a few bucks saved up again. i'd have to look for the card tomorrow, but i think it was by appointment only. no actual store front.
Bulk what?   His "custom" handloads?  Beware gun-show folks selling their reloads as "bulk ammo".    Bang, pop. KABOOM!

well the boxes that he had on the table at the show were either silver bear or brown bear (can't remember which).

fully_armed_biker

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
ammoman is pretty cheap, but not the cheapest all of the time. Remember his price includes shipping.

oh i wasn't aware that his prices INCLUDED shipping. that might make it a little closer than.

the website that i was looking at was ammunitiontogo.com
500 rounds starting at $98 and 1,000 rounds starting at $193. not sure how much shipping with them is.

and at the last gunshow i was at, i found a guy that sells bulk, and he quoted me $100 for 500 rounds. so i'm just assuming that 1,000 rounds would be even cheaper. i have his business card and was going to take a ride out to his place once i get a few bucks saved up again. i'd have to look for the card tomorrow, but i think it was by appointment only. no actual store front.
Bulk what? His "custom" handloads? Beware gun-show folks selling their reloads as "bulk ammo". Bang, pop. KABOOM!

well the boxes that he had on the table at the show were either silver bear or brown bear (can't remember which).

The other thing you need to remember is that the Brown Bear (or Silver Bear,...and the same thing goes forWolf too,) is steel cased non reloadable...the PRVI is brass cased and reloadable...you can get 9X18 slugs readily...and reload your own brass.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
If you use reloads, KNOW YOUR RELOADER. WELL. Smilin' Jack from Peckerwood Notch isn't gonna be there for you to sue when your backstrap flies off and knocks out your teef.
I'll +1 that but even reloaders have mind-slips and double charge or forget entirely to charge a round here or a round there.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tekshogun wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:
If you use reloads, KNOW YOUR RELOADER. WELL. Smilin' Jack from Peckerwood Notch isn't gonna be there for you to sue when your backstrap flies off and knocks out your teef.
I'll +1 that but even reloaders have mind-slips and double charge or forget entirely to charge a round here or a round there.
for me as a rule. I don't buy "bulk" ammo or reloads period. Brand new Ammo only from a reputable manufacturer. it's just not worth taking a chance with your life, eyes, face, etc.

scorpio_vette

imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:

The other thing you need to remember is that the Brown Bear (or Silver Bear, ...and the same thing goes for Wolf too,) is steel cased non reloadable...the PRVI is brass cased and reloadable ...you can get 9X18 slugs readily...and reload your own brass.  

[/quote]

i've thought about it. but as it stands right now, i don't have enough money to do as much shooting as i'd like to, and from what i've seen, i'd be in a few hundred $$$ to be able to reload myself.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have lot's of ammo, but I intend to keep it that way, until the EVENT happens and I need that ammo for my personal security needs, it stays put. I would like to go to the range and chew up thousands of rounds, for target practice & urban carbine training but, I am not that wealthy- even though ammo prices have come back down alot. when I go to the range I bring 5 loaded mags for the AR15 & 7 loaded mags for the glock, that's it. I make my rounds count, all A zone hits.

okboomer

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
I don't really mind having to go through a clerk to get ammo from behind the counter, just so long as there is a clerk to go through. At gun shops, no problem; but department stores are another story. I have gone to Wal-mart, waited 15 minutes and when a clerk appeared learned that the clerk with the key to the ammo storage was "at lunch".:banghead: Of course, since I had a loaded P.38 on my hip I just politely inquired when the clerk would be back ("in maybe one hour"); left and drove to Woodbridge and got the ammo at Dawson's.

(side note: next time I will wait. If you've never had the pleasure, driving Jeff Davis Highway in Woodbridge in either direction between 9AM and 8PM is MURDER. I'd rather take a beating than drive in Woodbridge on a weekday)

Ask them to call the department manager or the store manager ... they have keys to the ammo cabinet and there is always a key in the store ... just because the flunky (not necessarily meant to be derrogatory) isn't there doesn't mean you don't deserve prompt service.

The thing I have noticed with some at WalMart is that some managers have their folks convinced that if they take the initiative to call the manager, there will be consequences, if, however, you as the customer ask for them, they have no one to blame except the one who made out the schedule (self) that left the department uncovered.

Our WalMart has a scheduling problem on the 3rd of the month between 4:30 and 6:00 pm when all the government checks come in and folksare getting off work. They will have 10 folks lined up at each ofthe 3 open registers and the 2 open self-checkouts with baskets piled high... when I see that, I don't even wait to get annoyed, I find the Customer Service Rep and ask them to step out and look ... next thing you know, there are red vests coming from all directions :lol:

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Most stores have been keeping handgun ammo behind the counter since the early '80s.

Fact of life.

I've never had anyone ask me for an ID when I request it, though, so just ask!

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

since9 wrote:
Most stores have been keeping handgun ammo behind the counter since the early '80s.

Fact of life.

I've never had anyone ask me for an ID when I request it, though, so just ask!
same around here, Handgun ammo has always been either behind a counter or locked up, except sportsman's warehouse , but they closed:(

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

okboomer wrote:
Our WalMart has a scheduling problem on the 3rd of the month between 4:30 and 6:00 pm when all the government checks come in and folksare getting off work. They will have 10 folks lined up at each ofthe 3 open registers and the 2 open self-checkouts with baskets piled high... when I see that, I don't even wait to get annoyed, I find the Customer Service Rep and ask them to step out and look ... next thing you know, there are red vests coming from all directions :lol:
How often do you go to the Wal-Mart on the 3rd at 4:30 PM?;)

You know, this whole love-hate thing that we seem to have with Wal-Mart (love their ammo, hate their service) has got me to thinking about how Wally World could better serve our needs. We all, as Wal-Mart customers and ammo buyers are interested in 2 things: price and service.

That's given, of course, that the ammo we buy is of the minimum quality levels by the big ammo brands, Winchester, Remington, etc.

So here are my suggestions to Wal-Mart, given the minimum quality standards, as to how they can make our ammo buying lives better and easier:

Price:

We need a house brand for ammo. Like for the following products:

samschoice9.jpg

or

1955542539_e885b5de74.jpg

I gotta think that with Wal-Mart's smarts they could make Sam's Choice Ammo a big hit... ;)

Service:

This one was easy to come up with. As Alexcabbie and okboomer point out, the problem of getting our fat mitts on Wal-Mart's ammo is one of too many layers between us and the ammo.

So, a disintermediation approach is called for:

2036266481_0914af4fbb.jpg

Whoa.....a Sam's Choice Ammo VendingMachine!

No clerk out to lunch....no sniveling liberal/anti manager.....no hard-to-get store manager....

Open 24 hours a day.

Justwalk up, pop your credit card or cash in (Face recognition technology willdo the age check) and you're off to the range or your hidden ammo cache!

Man, that would be suh-weet!

If Wally World took these ideas and implemented them, well, we'd have no reason to whine about them w-h-a-t-s-o-e-v-e-r.

But I'm sure we'd think of something...

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kwiknru, that's $0.19 a round. Blazer ammo for my 9 mm is just $0.20 a round. Good-quality, FMJ plinking ammo.

A house brand for ammo from Wal-Mart... Blammo Ammo?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

since9 wrote:
A house brand for ammo from Wal-Mart... Blammo Ammo?

Exactly.

Always Low Prices

Always!
Ammo.jpg

Unfortunately, all the guys who insist on boycotting Wal-Mart wouldn't enjoy the low prices....poor guys.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I prefer having it delivered to my door. Walking out of stores with thousands of rounds of ammo is well, too much like work & everyone watched what you are buying, not good..... let the UPS guy do all the heavy lifting.
ammoman.com shipping included in the price. that picture looks a little like my ammo fort.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Or the low quality.
It sells standard brands (Winchester, Remington, etc.). Quality is not a problem.

Do you buy any ammo at Wal-Mart, Master Doug Huffman?

Have you ever bought any ammo at Wal-Mart, Doug Huffman?

Can either one of you can answer?

okboomer

imported post

HankT wrote:
How often do you go to the Wal-Mart on the 3rd at 4:30 PM?;)
Only once, since then notunless absolutely necessary :what:

Sometimes, when I can't sleep, I'llgo at2AM, just to avoid the crowds, of course :cool:

I also try not to have to drive anywhere in this small town when the high school kids are out for lunch, or when school gets out at 3:20 ... them kids drive like bats outta hell! :banghead: