• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WA Legislature convenes, gun bills unveiled

VonKonig

imported post

And here's the email I sent out to the Senator and Representatives of the 22 District:

[font="times new roman, new york, times, serif"]SenatorShin and Representatives Roberts and Liias,[/font]
[font="times new roman, new york, times, serif"][/font]
[font="times new roman, new york, times, serif"]I understand that Rep. Williams is sponsoring two bills, both assigned to the House Judiciary. These are HB 2477 and HB 2264.[/font]

[font="times new roman, new york, times, serif"]HB 2477 [/font][font="times new roman, new york, times, serif"]would hold a person responsible if they sell a gun at a gun show to someone who would not have passed a NICS background check, and who subsequently uses that gun in a crime, especially if someone is injured or killed.[/font]

[font="times new roman, new york, times, serif"]HB 2264 [/font][font="times new roman, new york, times, serif"]requires every transaction to go through a licensed dealer. [/font]

I am a five year Lynnwood resident, a commercial banker, co-founder of a local non-denominational community church, and am the first to bring the Wells Fargo-sponsored Reading First Program to the State of Washington by partnering with one of the local elementary schools in our neighborhood. Additionally, I am a husband, father of three and a Desert Storm Veteran.

Like MANY, I am completely sick to my stomach about what I've seen happen to our country as a result of rampant, unchecked government control, abuse and spending during these last couple of years. Frankly, I no longer recognize the country I spent nine years protecting while in the Army National Guard and the U.S. Navy. Certainly there is scant resemblance to the one our founding fathers envisioned. It is to one of those men that we will return in a moment.

The specific reason whyI write is to address the issue of government control to which I alluded above. What's needed is less government control and intervention on all levels of government and acrossthe span of oursociety, not more. AsI see it, the two bills I refer to here only seek to hand yet more control to the government at the cost of our privacy and personal freedom to conduct transactions without government intervention and oversight.

Some of your consituentsmay say, "But allowing these transactions to take place at the (potential)risk of public safety and security is irresponsible."

And in answer to that sentiment, let me refer you to the familiar words ofone of the founding fathers mentioned earlier. One of my favorite statesmen of all-time, Benjamin Franklin was quoted as saying

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Onewould behard-pressed to say it any better than that. Vote "No" on HB's 2477 AND 2264.

B.K___________
Voter

amzbrady

imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
amlevin wrote:
I'm not so sure I see how HB2477 really infringes on my right to own and carry a gun.
You're just as bad as the gun grabbers. I'm sorry, but if I sell a kitchen knife to someone who uses it as a kitchen knife for a year, then stabs their whole family to death with it a year later, should I be held responsible??? This law, and every other "common sense" gun law is an absolute infringement on our Liberty. So take your hypocrisy elsewhere. My Liberty is NOT UP FOR A VOTE... and if it is, the Republic is Dead and this conversation is moot.

From my cold, dead hands!!! Not just a catch phrase!
I agree, Ginsu crimes happen alot. Now on that note, is this just for the private sector on sales? Or will they try to hold Gun dealers responsible also? Whats next, if you sell a car to someone, and they kill themselves or someone else while driving drunk will you be held responsible for that also?Chainsaw to someone and they move to texas and kill 5 young women with it will you be responsible? Where does it end, and how would you ever know if someone is going to commit a crime? especially in todays world with the job market, forclosures, and so on. HB2477 is making me tense, I have to go meditate.

Tekman

imported post

From my congress critter Maureen Walsh.

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your email. Believe me, Rep. Walsh is NOT supportive of these pieces of legislation, it is ludicrous to say the least. Certainly, these are not very well thought out bills. HB 2011 certainly is a worthy bill, we can use more firearm safety education in our society today.

Again, thank you for writing to express your concerns.

Marge Plumage
Legislative Assistant to
Rep. Maureen Walsh
16th Legislative District
(360) 786-7836