Thread: HB 490: Development of plan for the issuance of a lifetime concealed handgun permit

Post imported post

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...?101+sum+HB490

Full Text

Development of plan for the issuance of a lifetime concealed handgun permit. Directs the Department of State Police, in cooperation with the Secretary of Public Safety, to develop a plan to allow for the State Police to issue lifetime concealed handgun permits to Virginia residents. The Department and the Secretary shall submit the plan, and any recommended legislative changes to implement the plan, to the Chairmen of the House Committee on Militia, Police, and Public Safety and the Senate Committee for Courts of Justice by October 15, 2010.

Post imported post

Here's my suggestion for a plan:

Step 1. Declare all current and future CHPs valid until revoked.

Step 2. Ignore expirations that get flagged on various law enforcement computers.

There that was easy.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Post imported post

Or just remove the requirement to have to be licensed to conceal carry.

It's not like criminals give a $hit about the law.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

While a nice step forward, I don't see lifetime permits happening. The financial impact is too high given the current economy and state budget issues. And, the lions share of the authorized $50 CHP application fee goes to the local LEO agency.

Lifetime permits were previously passed and signed into law via 2006's bill HB167/1577 and the legislature never funded the annual checks.
    ---

Post imported post

It doesn't have to be expensive. Since biographic information doesn't change, all that needs to be done (at predetermined intervals) is the verification that the CHP holder is not disqualified. This is a computer to computer check, with manual intervention required only on exceptional basis. I do believe that before I moved to Virginia and was receiving my non-resident permit from VSP, the nice letter that came with my permits stated that VSP was going to reverify my eliginility for their CHP every 12 months. (On the other hand, it could have been some other state. I have a lot of carry permits, but you get the idea.) Why couldn't VSP do this for all CHPs (they know about them anyway) and forward any follow-up issues they discover to the county clerk?

Instead of pushing paper to process new CHPs, the county clerk can deal with these exceptions. It would actually cost less. :celebrate I do understand, however, that the $50 per application is hard to give up. As much as I hate new taxes, I would rather they called it a CHP tax and billed me $10 a year by mail,but saved me trips to the county offices during business hours.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    South by southwest, rather than north by northeast - You got that part right Peter.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Maybe the legend helps point the way Grape. I dont see CHP anywere on it...unless "The People" now only consists of CHP Holders.

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    Maybe the legend helps point the way Grape. I dont see CHP anywere on it...unless "The People" now only consists of CHP Holders.
    Some politicians should fear the peep-hole more.

We after all are watching them.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

A lifetime license could jeopardize reciprocity with some other states. Losing a state or two for a lifetime license would still be a positive.

Would it include lifetime non-resident permits?

State Police to issue lifetime concealed handgun permits to Virginia residents
    edited: answered my own question.

Post imported post

lockman wrote:
    A lifetime license could jeopardize reciprocity with some other states. Losing a state or two for a lifetime license would still be a positive.

Would it include lifetime non-resident permits?

State Police to issue lifetime concealed handgun permits to Virginia residents
    edited: answered my own question.
    Do not see that it would jeopardize reciprocity - annual records check still would be run by VSP. Nothing that couldn't be worked out through adequate dialog between the states.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Do not see that it would jeopardize reciprocity - annual records check still would be run by VSP. Nothing that couldn't be worked out through adequate dialog between the states.

Yata hey
    ROFLMAO,VERY FUNNY GRAPE! Do you also do stand-up?

Post imported post

Infidel wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
    ROFLMAO,VERY FUNNY GRAPE! Do you also do stand-up?
    It is that dialog that has given us the reciprocity that we now enjoy with Va. CHP.

The same can be said for driving licenses - there is no standard test or term recognized for all the states.

Yata hey