Thread: HB 505: Concealed handguns; restaurants

Post imported post

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...?101+sum+HB505

Full Text

Concealed handguns; restaurants. Prohibits a person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of a restaurant or club from consuming an alcoholic beverage while on the premises.

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...?101+sum+HB505

Full Text

Concealed handguns; restaurants. Prohibits a person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of a restaurant or club from consuming an alcoholic beverage while on the premises.
    Ugh, more freedom limiting laws.

Post imported post

Another poorly worded bill. Eliminate the word "concealed." As written OCers can still drink. I'd rather have a blanket prohibition, despite some who think it should be allowed. To each his own opinion.

The law still allows you to show up drunk, just not to drink while there.

Is there a law that makes it illegal to be drunk and armed? If so, this bill is redundant.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Post imported post

How in the heck do you enforce someone not drinking while they have an object on them that is "hidden from common observation?"

If I pull into a restaurant with a VCDL sticker on my vehicle and have a beer with my meal, is that sufficient reason to search me to see if I'm carrying?

Post imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
    Another poorly worded bill. Eliminate the word "concealed." As written OCers can still drink. I'd rather have a blanket prohibition, despite some who think it should be allowed. To each his own opinion.

The law still allows you to show up drunk, just not to drink while there.

Is there a law that makes it illegal to be drunk and armed? If so, this bill is redundant.
    Yes. It is illegal to be intoxicated while armed in VA.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Post imported post

This bill is the less-desirable, but still progressively liberating, bill.

Can't drink while armed, CHP. Gonna have to VA tuck if I want a beer.

Oh, wait. I OC anyhow.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

HB 505 passed the House with a good margin, 67-27.

There were amendments, the changed paragraph now reads:

(ETA: Oops, this BB software doesn't do strikethrough... the red text is struck, the green text is added.)

J3. No person shall carry who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises; however, nothing herein regarding the consumption of alcohol shall prohibit any sworn apply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer or any a retired law-enforcement officer who meets the definition of a "qualified retired law-enforcement officer" pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 926C and is carrying the identification required by such statute from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.

Post imported post

TFred wrote:

(ETA: Oops, this BB software doesn't do strikethrough... the red text is struck, the green text is added.)

J3. No person shall carry who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises; however, nothing herein regarding the consumption of alcohol shall prohibit any sworn apply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer or any a retired law-enforcement officer who meets the definition of a "qualified retired law-enforcement officer" pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 926C and is carrying the identification required by such statute from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.
    Didn't hear about these new changes. So if I am adding this up in my head right... CCW permit holders are now allowed to carry into bars and restaurants but just can't drink while carrying inside? Only law enforcement can drink with their guns concealed? I'm going to have to do some more research.

Post imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
    TFred wrote:

Didn't hear about these new changes. So if I am adding this up in my head right... CCW permit holders are now allowed to carry into bars and restaurants but just can't drink while carrying inside? Only law enforcement can drink with their guns concealed? I'm going to have to do some more research.
    No, the red text is "struck", or deleted. As the law reads now, no person shall carry a concealed weapon etc... The new law under consideration says no person who carries ... shall drink.

Imagine the red text as having a line through it. This BB won't do that.

TFred

Post imported post

So if you remove the red text the current billreads as:

J3. No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises; however, nothing herein regarding the consumption of alcohol shallapply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer ora retired law-enforcement officer who meets the definition of a "qualified retired law-enforcement officer" pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 926C and is carrying the identification required by such statute.
    Correct?
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    Gonna have to VA tuck if I want a beer.
    Of course there is always the option of not drinking in public while armed and avoid creating the perception that all gun owners drink while carrying.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    wylde007 wrote:
    Gonna have to VA tuck if I want a beer.
    Of course there is always the option of not drinking in public while armed and avoid creating the perception that all gun owners drink while carrying.
    I agree with Ed. It sends a bad message and petentially opens one to greater civil liability. Also, don't "feed" the antis.

Post imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
    So if you remove the red text the current billreads as:

J3. No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises; however, nothing herein regarding the consumption of alcohol shallapply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer ora retired law-enforcement officer who meets the definition of a "qualified retired law-enforcement officer" pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 926C and is carrying the identification required by such statute.
    Correct?
    Yep!

TFred

Post imported post

gis wrote:
    I agree with Ed. It sends a bad message and petentially opens one to greater civil liability. Also, don't "feed" the antis.
    I appreciate your perspective, but I do not share it.

Went out last night for sushi with my wife and son. OC'ed. Had a beer with my supper

No problems. No funny looks. Very enjoyable evening.

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    gis wrote:

Went out last night for sushi with my wife and son. OC'ed. Had a beer with my supper

It isn't just about "No funny looks".

Think about why you carry in the 1st place. And if you needed to employ your weapon in a self defense situation. The investigation would reveal that you had been drinking. Whether you had notover-indulged would be for you to prove, and since there is no standard blood alcohol limit which applies to DWA (Drunk While Armed), you'd beleaving yourself open to some potentially serious criminal charges and some serious civil liability.

Just my .02
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

2a4all wrote:
    wylde007 wrote:
    gis wrote:

Think about why you carry in the 1st place. And if you needed to employ your weapon in a self defense situation. The investigation would reveal that you had been drinking. Whether you had notover-indulged would be for you to prove, and since there is no standard blood alcohol limit which applies to DWA (Drunk While Armed), you'd beleaving yourself open to some potentially serious criminal charges and some serious civil liability.

Just my .02
    I totally agree, BUT, if leos can carry and drink, what kind of a message and or problems will that create? I understand why we shouldn't drink and carry (it makes complete sense). Why not just make it NO DRINKING WHILE CARRYING PERIOD! Nobody should be able to reguardless of who they are. I wouldn't feel comfortable if I were in a bar/restuarantand a fight or something broke out where one person pulled a knife (hopefully not a gun but you never know these days) and a leo, while under the influence, drew/fired his/her gun and an innocent person was wounded or died.How would the law suits be filed and who all would be sued? The leo, the city, the state?

How would you feel if you out to dinner a leo who had been drinking and is carrying started asking you a bunch of questions about you CCing in a bar/restuarant in which you were drinking soda and water only?

Post imported post

I'm aware of what some people "think" it is and isn't about.

If I have to deploy my personal defensive weapon and I have been drinking then I will deal with the consequences.

You feel that I shouldn't have a drink when I carry. Others feel we shouldn't carry at all.

Now, to me, you're no better than them if you believe for one minute that your personal opinion should override my rights under the law for some "appearance".

Think about the hypocrisy of that for a minute. Trust me, I understand and appreciate your perception and that it is commonly held by many of my open-carrying brethren... but it is not held by all of them and it is not the law. It is an opinion and an opinion only.

Post imported post

9MM Owner wrote:
    2a4all wrote:
    wylde007 wrote:
    gis wrote:

Just my .02
    I totally agree, BUT, if leos can carry and drink, what kind of a message and or problems will that create? I understand why we shouldn't drink and carry (it makes complete sense). Why not just make it NO DRINKING WHILE CARRYING PERIOD! Nobody should be able to reguardless of who they are. I wouldn't feel comfortable if I were in a bar/restuarantand a fight or something broke out where one person pulled a knife (hopefully not a gun but you never know these days) and a leo, while under the influence, drew/fired his/her gun and an innocent person was wounded or died.How would the law suits be filed and who all would be sued? The leo, the city, the state?

How would you feel if you out to dinner a leo who had been drinking and is carrying started asking you a bunch of questions about you CCing in a bar/restuarant in which you were drinking soda and water only?
    I wouldn't oppose a total ban on alcohol consumption while OC/CCing. As for lawsuits, that's for the lawyers to figure out, but unless you're a victim, you likely wouldn't have standing.

Why would a LEO be asking me questions in the 1st place? How would s/heknow I was CCing? As I only drink water with my meals, I don't see much of a conversation starter.

A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

Yep sounds good to me. The only exception I can think of is when LEOs must work undercover and drink to keep their cover.

I was in court once and witnessed a case like that. The officer testified that he sipped part of a mixed drink, but the rest he spit back out. The defense attorney tried pretty hard to impune his testimony as being under the influence but it didn't fly. The case was Suffolk PD busting a nip joint.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Post imported post

2a4all wrote:
    9MM Owner wrote:
    2a4all wrote:
    wylde007 wrote:
    gis wrote:

Just my .02

I wouldn't oppose a total ban on alcohol consumption while OC/CCing. As for lawsuits, that's for the lawyers to figure out, but unless you're a victim, you likely wouldn't have standing.

Why would a LEO be asking me questions in the 1st place? How would s/heknow I was CCing? As I only drink water with my meals, I don't see much of a conversation starter.
    I didn't say that I like the current wording of the law. There is nothing in the LEOs training that qualifies him/her to carry while under the influence of alcohol. Whether one is a LEO or a civilian, I think that drinking and carrying (open or concealed) isa bad idea. I was a LEO in a state where drinking and carrying was prohibited whether you were a LEO or not. There were both LEOs and civilians who ignored the law. Most got away with it, but a small percentage got into trouble including getting sued civilly, losing their jobs and pensions. I guess, it's up to the individual, but I don't need a drink that badly.

Post imported post

Since I'm not exactly familiar with this what does it mean when it says Senate: Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice? Is this a good or bad thing? When does the senate vote on it? Anyone know? I see it says they meet Wed. again.

Post imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
    Since I'm not exactly familiar with this what does it mean when it says Senate: Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice? Is this a good or bad thing? When does the senate vote on it? Anyone know? I see it says they meet Wed. again.
    It's passed the House, and is now going through a similar process in the Senate. At this point, it's neither good nor bad, but just the process.

Generally it is expected to have a tougher road in the Senate than the House because the Senate has a Democratic majority.

The bill made it out of the GA last year to be vetoed by Governor Kaine. I suspect we will lose some votes in the Senate this year because they knew last year that Kaine would veto it.

Anyone can follow the committee and subcommittee schedules via the LIS web site, and even go to Richmond and attend the meetings and speak in favor or against a bill. It's a very educational process, and I see it as a privilege not to be taken for granted.

TFred

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    hometheaterman wrote:
    It's passed the House, and is now going through a similar process in the Senate. At this point, it's neither good nor bad, but just the process.

Generally it is expected to have a tougher road in the Senate than the House because the Senate has a Democratic majority.

The bill made it out of the GA last year to be vetoed by Governor Kaine. I suspect we will lose some votes in the Senate this year because they knew last year that Kaine would veto it.

Anyone can follow the committee and subcommittee schedules via the LIS web site, and even go to Richmond and attend the meetings and speak in favor or against a bill. It's a very educational process, and I see it as a privilege not to be taken for granted.

TFred
    I saw it said the next meeting was Wednesday. Does this mean the senate will vote on it then? Or does that just mean it will be discussed again then?

Post imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
    TFred wrote:
    hometheaterman wrote:

TFred
    I saw it said the next meeting was Wednesday. Does this mean the senate will vote on it then? Or does that just mean it will be discussed again then?
    You have to check the schedule. See here, and poke around:

http://leg1.state.va.us/101/com/COM.HTM

They publish an agenda or a docket before each meeting.

TFred

Post imported post

Thanks.