• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Snohomish County Council considers old parks gun ban

Dave Workman

imported post

Snohomish County Council needs to clean out old parks gun ban rule

The Snohomish County (WA) Council is considering changing the county code to reflect state preemption relating to a decades-old gun ban in county parks.

This is a MUST attention getter for Washington state armed citizens. Members of the county council are identified with their phone Numbers and e-mail addresses

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m1d12-BREAKING-Snohomish-County-Council-needs-to-clean-house-of-old-gun-ordinance

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/y9h9ouc

amlevin

imported post

Wonder what useful work the Council could have done during the time wasted on this? Maybe figure out how to save the taxpayer's money.

Rather than a long drawn out process of meeting, discussion, followed by inaction, indicision, and hem-hawing, why not just re-write the ordinance to follow state law. Shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour or so of a "clerk's" time and a simple voice vote at the next council meeting would provide all the formality necessary.

Instead our elected officials are wasting time and money, a task they are well suited for it seems.

aadvark

imported post

The Washington State Law 9.41.300 will defeat ANY Snomish County Park Ban..., rather 'they' relize it or not.

Hopefully, they will come to their senses.

amlevin

imported post

This is all about "feel good" and "going through the motions" in order to appease those anti-gun nuts that tend to vote for Democrats. The Councilmen are all worried that if they just do the obvious they might loose votes.

Maybe they should remember that Former Mayor Greg Nickels went ahead with his support of a Parks Gun Ban and then didn't even make it through the primary election. He might have made it to the general election if he had garnered a few votes from law abiding gun owners that probably voted for "anybody but Nickels" in the primary.

One thing that is certain about a politician, regardless of where he serves, they only serve themselves and pander to any group that they think can get them elected.

jbone

imported post

Just called, and spoke to the council admim. Mr. Koster made the motion to approve and no second from anyone else on the council.

Put to rest; not approved.

Dave Workman

imported post

jbone wrote:
Just called, and spoke to the council admim. Mr. Koster made the motion to approve and no second from anyone else on the council.

Well, that's not so good. They really don't have an option here.

The prohibition was effectively nullified by RCW 9.41.290. If somebody tries to enforce it, they're going to have a problem in court.

jbone

imported post

Have they comiited a crimial act, in violation state law? and will the same organizationsthat filed suit in Seattle pick this up?

Richard6218

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
jbone wrote:

Well, that's not so good. They really don't have an option here.

The prohibition was effectively nullified by RCW 9.41.290. If somebody tries to enforce it, they're going to have a problem in court.

I'll copy-and-paste the email I just wrote to the Council's general email: I originally posted it to "that other thread" on this subject.

Here is the whole text that I just sent to the Council. I encourage everyone to send their own comments to this address: contact.council@co.snohomish.wa.us

Gentlemen:

I was shocked to learn today of your inaction in the matter of the proposed compliance with Washington state law. Your failure to enact the amendment proposed by Councilman Koster is unconscionable. The concept of preemption stated in RCW 9.41. 290 is clear: you have NO RIGHT to violate state law in this manner. RCW 9.41.270, 9.41. 050, and Article I, Section 24 of the State Constitution all state the right of the individual citizen to bear arms in self-defense.

This is not a matter of what any politician thinks is politically expedient. Self-defense is a God-given right, as are the rights to speak freely, the right to worship or not as we may choose, the right to due process, the right to peaceably assemble, the right to redress grievances to the government, the right to own property and to dispose of it as we see fit. The government cannot bestow any of these upon us, nor can it take them away because they are part of our humanity. The Founding Fathers memorialized these concepts in the Declaration of Independence and in the Constitution of the United States. They are also well defined in Washington law and constitution.

You have no choice in this matter. Other counties and municipalities in our State have acted appropriately to bring their codes into compliance. You must do likewise.

Richard xxxxxx

Ferndale (Whatcom County) Washington

(Edited to add cross-reference to the other thread)

jbone

imported post

I Just had a nice talk with Barbara Chapman, Councilmember's Legislative Aide.

Councilman Koster is not happy with the outcome, very concerned about how his fellow councilmember's justblew off state law. It can be brought to the floor again, will take pressure on the other four councilmember's.

It was suggested that everyone write thefour law breakers that refused to recognize Councilmember's motion a letter, and you what to say. Imay even Cc County Executive Aaron Reardon, and the state AG as well. This is unbelievable, the arrogance of these four.

She also said the turn out numbers were good on the speaker side and sent in comments.

Here are the four criminals;

Chair
Dave Gossett, District 4;Vice-Chair Dave Somers, District 5;Councilmember Mike Cooper, District 3; Councilmember Brian Sullivan, District 2

Just saw the new story on King 5, thefourcriminals give him the cold shoulder. The story also said even the County Prosecutor said the ban was illegal.

jbone

imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
Its time we ignore Snohomish law, and abide by State Law and have a Snohomish County picnic in a park.
Picnic?

Great Damage Control work going on by everyone!

Don't take this wrong but where were all the big guns and idea's other than (They can't do that) while this was brewing.This Snohomish issue has beenon OCDO radar since JAN 09. See the threadsand reminders.Darn shame how the interest grew the day before, and day of hearing.I maybe whining ( I am whining) but it seems more attention is given toSeattle, picnics, or BS OT posts, and the very issues we should be paying attention too and organizing get lost. IMO, did we cause it to fail?

Snohomish got away it shouldn't have, Snohomish should have been setting the stage for Seattle, not the other way around. Done Whining!

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/20339.html

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/34494.html

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/36196.html

jbone

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
Councilman Brian Sullivan said, "I think it's prudent to see how the Seattle case falls out."
Okay, is it time to start pounding on the Snohomish County Council again?
I know I'll be calling and sending emails Monday!