Thread: Why would you ask that???

Post imported post

Just thinking 3 of the most common questions that people ask when people notice you OCing.

1. Is that real ?

2. Is it loaded ?

3. Are you a cop ?

Why would you ask if it's real ????????? Who would go around carrying a fake gun ?? and why would you carry an unloaded gun ? You would be better off carrying a hammer.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Yeah, damn all of those stupid people. Thank god we're all so intelligent here...

There really ARE a lot of stupid people out there, though...enough that I sometimes wonder if a gun is real when I see it. I wouldn't hesitate to ask. Not only would that let me know if the person is truly armed, but their answer would tell me a lot about their personality. For instance, if they respond like a pretentious xxxxx, I'll know to keep my eye on him.

As far as asking if the gun is loaded, I would be willing to bet that the average American gun owner, if taught properly, is taught to keep a weapon unloaded at all times unless it's time to use it. That meansnot loadingyour hunting shotgununtil you get out of the truck by your hunting spot, and not leaving the shells in the tube all year until the season opens again. If someone asks you if the gun is loaded, that probably means they have enough sense to understand basic firearm safety. It also implies that even though they may not be familiar with carrying a firearm for defensive purposes, they've already begun to understand the process. After all, they've considered the fact that the weapon could very well be loaded.

As far as asking you if you're a cop, you should take that as a compliment. They're assuming that you look respectful enough and confident enough to be an officer. If you looked and acted like a complete idiot, I doubt they'd ask if you were a cop. Besides, do you really not understand why this is such a common question?? The vast majority of the population does not carry firearms openly. The vast majority of cops do. Der?

Post imported post

The cop question I understand & no matter how STUPID the question I try to be nice & engage the person in a conversation about 2A & OC. But I get the feeling that most of the time when someone asks the first question they are hoping I'll say no it's a new type of xxxxxxxxxx. Maybe next time I'll just say no & walk off.

Post imported post

I think I agree that being rude and arrogant is bad form for expressing yourself, regardless if you happen to being a carrying a firearm or not.

if you want to go by Confucian philosophy, setting the example is the best form of leadership out there.(Being polite, educated, and armed) Doing so will help you educate your fellow citizens on how to be a responsible citizen.

Showing them that you will act poorly if asked a question only teaches them to remain ignorant.

Post imported post

Open carry in CA required the weapon to be unloaded, perhaps there are a lot of people here from CA.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

American Patriot wrote:
    Open carry in CA required the weapon to be unloaded, perhaps there are a lot of people here from CA.*
    Ha! Unfortunately, society has just gotten too scared of and not use to seeing guns except on the hips of a LEO. It is a side step (backslide would imply that few people carried guns openly in the past) or at least a fall into a pit that we must claw ourselves out of.

Post imported post

I'm from California ( ducks under table and waits...)

There was a period in time where toy guns were being made awfully realistically, to the point the confusion was so great that various people were killed because they had one in their hands. I think NYC had a similar couple of problems. And I seem to recall some police orgs making protests to the manufacturers or something like that.

In some parts of LA, it's scary to drive down a street in broad daylight, even for the police. At night, they're really in danger so I kind of understand them not liking the whole 'realistic toy copies' thing. It's bad enough gang bangers, who are really young, walking around with AK-47's stuffed down their pants during daytime ( that are real guns ). A toy one from a cerrtain distance might look too real...I wonder if it's those stories that might influence these people to ask you questions like that. I can only speculate I guess.

I would tend to want anyone asking to know the truth and not sure how long my patience would last if it was person after person after person asking in a single day. Do you get asked those questions that frequently?. Basic public manners have also gone dowhill, that could be another explanation.

Myself, if I saw someone with a gun plain as day on them, I wouldn't ask anything and wouldn't go out of my way to upset them But I could see where a lot of curious folks might not think twice about pestering someone. Maybe you could wear a certain t-shirt when you carry that says,"Yes, it's real and No, I won't answer any more questions about it."

State Researcher

Post imported post

T-Shirt:

Yes, it's real.

No, I'm not a cop.

Yes, it's legal.

No, you can't touch it.

Post imported post

+1

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

annie oakley wrote:
    There was a period in time where toy guns were being made awfully realistically, to the point the confusion was so great that various people were killed because they had one in their hands.
    Perhaps this is merely natural selection in action? LOL :celebrate

It's bad enough gang bangers, who are really young, walking around with AK-47's stuffed down their pants
    How does one walk with an assault rifle stuffed down his pants? :what:
    Carry on!

Post imported post

This. And you walk slowly, of course.

Post imported post

I love NetFlix.

Post imported post

There are advantages to wearing ridiculously baggy clothing, I suppose. :shock:

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Myrighttocarry wrote:

This. And you walk slowly, of course.
    I didn't grow up around gangsters, but I've always wondered why some people still used the old peg-leg/pimp walk.

I guess the occasional quick hand gestures and strange behavior comes from having cold-heavy steel pressed hard against one's testicles. That's bound to give anyone Tourette Syndrome.

Post imported post

REX681959 wrote:
    Just thinking 3 of the most common questions that people ask when people notice you OCing.

1. Is that real ?

2. Is it loaded ?

3. Are you a cop ?
    #1 Yes, she is real.
    #2 Let's pray to God nothing bad happens so we don't have to find out!
    #3 Do I look like a cop?

With these answers you can at least keep them guessing.

Post imported post

REX681959

3. Are you a cop ?

[/quote]

No. I'm an AMERICAN.