• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why every OCer should have a "dashcam" in their vehicle...

Deanimator

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Watching this video and listening to that LEO just had me getting madder and madder. This butthole of an LEO should be attacked with both barrels of the legal options available to the driver. He is personally liable for his actions and can be sued without cover of his department. I hope his ass finds itself on the streets picking scraps from trash cans as that is all he is suitable for.
Is this not a relatively old video and was not that LEO fired (perhaps with the Chief?) already? If this happened in Missouri, then this indeed is the case.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Deanimator wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Watching this video and listening to that LEO just had me getting madder and madder. This butthole of an LEO should be attacked with both barrels of the legal options available to the driver. He is personally liable for his actions and can be sued without cover of his department. I hope his ass finds itself on the streets picking scraps from trash cans as that is all he is suitable for.
Is this not a relatively old video and was not that LEO fired (perhaps with the Chief?) already? If this happened in Missouri, then this indeed is the case.
I haven't a clue.. first time I've seen it. And look at what I did. Ended a sentence with a preposition. Damn, I know better than that.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Is this not a relatively old video and was not that LEO fired (perhaps with the Chief?) already?  If this happened in Missouri, then this indeed is the case.
I haven't a clue.. first time I've seen it. And look at what I did. Ended a sentence with a preposition. Damn, I know better than that.

If someone said "Where is he at?" My dad loved to retort "Behind that preposition."

ChinChin

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
The entire police department was disbanded due (in part) to this incident.

ETA: here is the link. http://johnjacobh.wordpress.com/2009/02/02/end-of-brett-darrow-saga-st-george-police-dissolved/

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ChinChin wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Is this not a relatively old video and was not that LEO fired (perhaps with the Chief?) already?  If this happened in Missouri, then this indeed is the case.
The entire police department was disbanded due (in part) to this incident.

ETA: here is the link.     http://johnjacobh.wordpress.com/2009/02/02/end-of-brett-darrow-saga-st-george-police-dissolved/

All I have to say is... whoa.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
Police got disbanded?? Guess the sheriff was not happy with what he saw.
Sheriff? No, this was a municipal issue, I don't think a Sheriff has the authority in most cases to disband another agency. The town voted to drop the St. George PD and contracted with the Sheriff's Office. The town also kept the officers in good standing onboard to be hired and deputized by the Sheriff (explaining that it also gave them more benefits). Very interesting though as you normally don't hear about this but it is pretty amazing at how many private/independent/non-profit police agencies exist out there.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Do what the cop says...it's that simple. Escalate it (file a complaint) later if you want, but at the moment, do what the cops says. Don't give them an excuse to get angrier.

It'sthat simple.

Drag the sobs out of the car windows and use a baton on them if they don't comply. Or taze them.

Having been in the public zoos (I mean schools) for many years, I am fed up with kids in not doing what the'yre told because there really is no penalty for insubordination -- or much else they do nowadays. It's even getting that way in the military, not following orders. You either do or you don't, no in between BS.

So the kid got some harsh words and very minor "handling." Big deal...so what. It COULD have been lots worse. Next time, he should listen up. Wish more of this would happen with kids acting like they don't savvy Inglis or are just retards (oops, Special Needs for you liberals).

As for sorry adults not complying with cops' orders -- or arguing with cops -- manhandle them LOTS worse when they don't obey...LOTS worse.

You either trust the cops or you don't. If you don't, thenget them off the force. If you do, then let them the hell alone.

-- John D.

Wow, Just wow. I am in disbelief you would try to forward your views and suggest people blindly cooperate.Your attitudeactually sickens me!!

Here is a little caselaw backing up my position that you must fight firsthand to protect your rights instead of just bending over and spreading your cheeks to any cop that has a god-complex.

Maybe you should renounce your citizenship before you try to infect more US citizens with your diseased thinking.
ONLY BELLIGERENTS HAVE RIGHTS by Richard C. Donaldson and Alfred Adask
The individual Rights guaranteed by our Constitution can be compromised or ignored by our government. For example, in United States v. Johnson, 76 F. Supp. 538, 539 (D. Pa. 1947), Federal District Court Judge James Alger Fee ruled that,

"The privilege against self-incrimination is neither accorded to the passive resistant, nor to the person who is ignorant of his rights, nor to one indifferent thereto. It is a FIGHTING clause. It's benefits can be retained only by sustained COMBAT. It cannot be claimed by attorney or solicitor. It is valid only when insisted upon by a BELLIGERENT claimant in person." McAlister vs. Henkel, 201 U.S. 90, 26 S.Ct. 385, 50 L. Ed. 671; Commonwealth vs. Shaw, 4 Cush. 594, 50 Am.Dec. 813; Orum vs. State, 38 Ohio App. 171, 175 N.E. 876. The one who is persuaded by honeyed words or moral suasion to testify or produce documents rather than make a last ditch stand, simply loses the protection. . . . He must refuse to answer or produce, and test the matter in contempt proceedings, or by habeas corpus." [Emphasis added]
[align=left]Notice the verdict's confrontational language: "fighting", "combat", and most surprising, "belligerent". Did you ever expect to ever read a Federal Court condemn citizens for being "passive" or "ignorant"? Did you ever expect to see a verdict that encouraged citizens to be "belligerent" IN COURT...?[/align]

Go back and re-read that extraordinary verdict. And read it again. And commit it to memory, for it succinctly describes the essence of the American legal system.

Ignorance makes the public more "manageable" in the courts and in confrontations with the government. Insofar as government naturally seeks to expand its powers at the expense of the citizen's Rights, government has a vested interest in the public ignorance and consequent apathy. The interest in expanding its powers encourages the government to provide little, no, or even false, education on what our Rights should be.

Silence gives consent, is the rule of business life. To stand by, in silence, and see another sell your property, binds you. Silence gives rise to fraud - or - silence gives rise to agreement.

[align=left]Jack Lancaster: Only Belligerents Have RightsFight Your Way To Freedom![/align]

lancers

imported post

I'm Brett Darrow, "the kid" from the first video where I caught the cop going crazy on my in car camera. I can't believe it's still popping up on forums.

There are a couple things I wanted to add. St. George is long known for their problems. They are a tiny town Less than 0.2 square miles, but in the middle of a populated area. They exist only to feed the pockets on the mayor and 3 alderman and everyone in St. Louis knows. We have over 90 municipalities here in St. Louis County and many are the same way. I've seen a few tickets personally that were for 1MPH over the low town speed limit.

Part of my "attitude" (as some say) was probably due to what I already knew about them. On top of that, where the cop was stopped when I passed and in the commuter parking lot is not even in St. George. It is unincorporated. He didn't even have any business in there.

After the incident, I found out this cop had a record of DWI, theft, and assault. He got a judge to seal his record so he could become a cop again. These small towns around here love the cops with previous problems. They call them "tainted good" and they can get them for $8-$10/hour to write tickets all day.

Other cops in this tiny department have been in trouble before as well. The former chief went to jail for blowing up someone with a car bomb, other cops there were arrested for stealing money donated to the department from a local business. The chief during this whole situation had been found guilty by a state commission for trying to solicit sex from a teenager he pulled over in another town and then he was just arrested again for statutory charges http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/laworder/story/C8EA95AE96640D428625769400022FC7?OpenDocument

Thankfully, I sued them and dropped the suit when they agreed to get rid of the police department and contract with the county police.

So yeah, if I was open carrying that night, I probably would have been shot dead. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Also, here is a profile the paper did on me about how the camera ended up in my car.
http://stopcopslying.com/content/view/6/2

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Hey brett, , I was a member over atat Roys R-Dsite when you posted thatthis happened to you.

I've been in similar situations, but Inever had video evidence of the abusive behavior, you ability to present that tape as evidence has helped alot of departmentsto weed out the ones that should not be wearing a badge.
You did many of us a huge favor in many ways, Thank you.

bohdi

imported post

Brett,

You might want to consider a second camera for a rear view shot....or a drivers side one. Just in case you happen to run out of batteries or your tape dies then you have redundancy as well. Just a thought, and congrats on what you have accomplished.

It's unfortunate that you've had to go to such lengths to protect yourself, but it is a clear example that LEO's are people too and influenced just like any other person to do good or bad. I liked the comments about Rodney King....if you aren't behaving badly you don't have to worry about video tapes...can't get much clearer than that.

canadian

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
I take the opposite view: Lots of kids nowadays don't do what they're told even when it's their parents doing the telling...it's abut time they find out you don't pull that crap with the cops...or some psycho (transient/stranger or even cop) on the street.

Do what the cop says...it's that simple. Escalate it (file a complaint) later if you want, but at the moment, do what the cops says. Don't give them an excuse to get angrier.

Like Steven Segal said on his TV show, When we say get outof the car, get out of the car!"

It'sthat simple.

Drag the sobs out of the car windows and use a baton on them if they don't comply. Or taze them.

Having been in the public zoos (I mean schools) for many years, I am fed up with kids in not doing what the'yre told because there really is no penalty for insubordination -- or much else they do nowadays. It's even getting that way in the military, not following orders. You either do or you don't, no in between BS.

So the kid got some harsh words and very minor "handling." Big deal...so what. It COULD have been lots worse. Next time, he should listen up. Wish more of this would happen with kids acting like they don't savvy Inglis or are just retards (oops, Special Needs for you liberals).

As for sorry adults not complying with cops' orders -- or arguing with cops -- manhandle them LOTS worse when they don't obey...LOTS worse.

You either trust the cops or you don't. If you don't, thenget them off the force. If you do, then let them the hell alone.

-- John D.
Wow, is there an ignore feature on this forum? Because that's just so...ignorant.

Statesman

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
I take the opposite view: Lots of kids nowadays don't do what they're told even when it's their parents doing the telling...it's abut time they find out you don't pull that crap with the cops...or some psycho (transient/stranger or even cop) on the street.

Like Steven Segal said on his TV show, When we say get outof the car, get out of the car!"

It'sthat simple.

-- John D.
I completely agree with your point on how the upcoming generations are out of control, and have no respect for authority. What is the solution? Beat and taze them into submission? Are you saying you support dragging this guy out of his car, beating and tazing him for asking a question to the officer? Under what authority, sir?

I am not anti-LEO, but I am anti jack booted tyrant. Police keep my city safe from out of control violent crime. IMHO, this officer is a tyrant, and he should be in far more trouble than just fired. I'd say some sort of civil case is warranted here. While the driver may have been copping a bit of an attitude, there was no excuse for the language used by the officer in this video. This kid said himself he feared for his life, or at least a beating. And for what? Asking what he did wrong? The officer could have handled it professionally, instead of turning into a raging tyrannical maniac.

I actually feel a bit sorry for the guy. He probably goes through hell in his day to day job, but he ends up taking it out on the innocent. The problem here lies with the management and administration allowing an officer like this to continue to be on the force. There had to have been many prior warning signs before this event.

Statesman

imported post

Dear God! What is this mentality? Do we have police gangs now in America? I must be living under a rock. This is abhorrent!

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/19/1988.asp

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Missouri: Police Stake Out Brett Darrow Home
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Saint Louis, Missouri police stake out the home of young motorist whose video of an out-of-control police officer garnered international attention.

[/font]
car65.jpg
A young Saint Louis, Missouri motorist faces trouble with local police upset at the national attention his September 7 video of an out-of-control officer has drawn to ongoing problems within area law enforcement agencies. On Sunday, Brett Darrow filmed a Saint Louis Metropolitan Police Department cruiser staking out his home.

"It was the first time I've seen it," Darrow told TheNewspaper. "But my neighbor said he's seen a lot of police down our dead end street since all of this happened."

When Darrow walked outside to his 1997 Nissan Maxima, he noticed two officers sitting in a marked squad car, numbered 65. There is little question as to why the officers were there.

"As I got into the car, he started to pull up the street and he and his partner just stared me down," Darrow explained.

The patrol car drove away as Darrow started his car and followed. Because his camera had been set to capture night-time footage, the first 45 seconds of the video is obscured. It does, however, capture the police car making questionable turning maneuvers in order to get away. Members of the police community are on the record regarding their desire to stake out Darrow's home and harass the twenty-year-old. In late June, users of St. Louis CopTalk, an unofficial forum for Saint Louis area law enforcement, posted Darrow's home address along with messages containing apparent death threats in retaliation for the young motorist's taping of a DUI roadblock in November and a traffic ticket in June. One CopTalk user repeating the address wrote, "Every copper, City and County, should etch this little punks [sic] name in their [sic] memory. Brett Darrow, [address deleted], city of St. Louis." (View screen capture of post)

This month, however, scandals within the Saint Louis Police Department which otherwise would have been a local story, gathered national attention and fueled additional resentment. Some $40,000 in cash turned up "missing" from the police evidence room on September 17. The city of St. George was forced to fire Sergeant James Kuehnlein for his threat to "come up with reasons" to "lock up" Darrow. An investigation into whether Kuehnlein's actions merit criminal charges is under way. Darrow met on Monday with a Saint Louis County Police Department detective.

"I quickly learned that this was about finding something I did wrong and not the officer," Darrow said.

Despite the official harassment, Darrow has been comforted by an unexpected level of support from the general public. Motorists who recognized him from various television interviews have stopped to thank him or give him the "thumbs up." A judge also dropped charges from the June traffic stop after a Saint Louis police officer failed to show up at a trial where Darrow had been prepared to defend himself with video evidence.
[/font]

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/19/1988.asp

maxx

imported post

If you are indeed an officer anywhere and this is your attitude, you should seriously consider a new line of work yourself.

On one hand there are a lot of people out there who do not do what they are told, and on occasion they get what is coming to them, on the other hand, a police officer or even a lowly security guard should remember who he is at all times and act accordingly.

This officer made many serious mistakes and abused his authority.

And speaking of authority, he should do well to remember from whom that authority comes.

He should also never forget that his authority is never bigger than the authority of those who hire him.

okboomer

imported post

I can understand where John D A.K.A. cloudcroft is coming from.

My mother worked in the public school system from 1965 until 1980 as a high school teacher... we were stalked (mother, me, sister), threatened with death (the family), and I was assaulted twice in high school over grades my mother assigned.

Personally, I have dealt with enough young folks, some from 'good' homes, who are entitled, spoiled, arrogant, disrespectful, antagonistic, rude, stupid, and generally disagreeable individuals to have to be around. On more than one occasion, I have taken the bail money and immediately revoked their bond for 24 hours to drive the point home that not only was this the real world, but by signing my bond, they were using my good relationship with the courts and the Sheriff to go out and walk around until their next court date. They were not out of custody, rather the Sheriff and the courts had assigned me the custody of the individual and my instructions had the force of law.They had already signed a contract that specifically stated their expected behavior on bond and what my remedies were if they were in breach of contract. I got through to some, but far to few. It was easier to deal with the career criminals as they knew how the game went and I had a reputation as a hard nosed bitch, but a fair one. I helped folks get jobs, back and forth to court, hooked up with social services, back and forth to doctor's appointments, grocery shopping, etc.

I had death threats, I have stared down a drug dealer 'with connections' while he had his hand on his knife that he was known to slash and stab folks with, I have had Aryan Brotherhoodin my office at 2AM with a 9mm condition 1 gun sitting on the desk in front of them, and the .45 they didn't know about in my hand under the desk pointed at them,and them higher than a kite on meth, a meth-addict higher than a kite assault me, a meth head that moved into the rent house next to my office accosted me outside my office as I was leaving at 10:30 on a Sunday night, he tried to intimidate me physically and when that didn't work, try to assualt me. I have had one drug addict that I ran out of my office late at night after he wandered in when he saw my lights on. I called mybounty hunterand he showed up and I told the d-a to leave, left the room and the bounty hunter rode his ass until he was out the door. Funny part was that the cops were looking for him and they picked him up a block from my office. I got a call from those same officers at 6am asking me if I laid hands on him. I said, "If me or my bounty hunter had laid hands on him, he would have needed an ambulance to leave my property." The next statement was that we had tased him. I replied, "Do you see any burn marks on him, as we don't have any tasers, just stun guns which would leave a mark." The next statement was that I put a gun to his head, to which I replied, "Isthere a red circle in the middle of his forehead? If not, then I did not pull my gun as I would have jammed it into the center of his forehead." By this time the cop had me on speaker phone and all of them were laughing uproariously. Neighbor d-a also called to file a report on me "to be put in her file" about the incident in which he claimed I pulled my gun and brandished it at him. One of the detectives called me and I explained the incident, knowing full well he was recording the conversation. I had another d-a accuse me of stealing from her when she got herself thrown in jail when all I did was pick up her german shepherd so she wouldn't end up in the pound. When the detectives called me down for the interview, all I could say was, "What use would I have for any of her junk?" Then, another d-a accused me of stealing his stuff when he asked me to move it from the place he was to his girlfriends place when he had to spend 30 days in jail. I had taken my brand new digital camcorder and recorded the apartment when I went in, then the truck with it all loaded on, then when I had it all unloaded in his girlfriends apartment, showing the change and boots and some other junk he said I took. Little S.O.B. is lucky I forgot to unload his father/grandfathers' Gibson guitar and delivered it to his hand after he got out or the little bimbo would have stolen that too. Of course, when I suggested that I take his stuff to his mother and store it in her garage like she wanted him to, he told me he knew his d-a girlfriend wouldn't steal from him, they were in love. And this guy was 34 years old. I would think he would have known better if he wasn't loosing brain cells by the bucketfull every time he smoked or however he did the meth. And he was the oldest one I have talked about here and most of the others were under the age of 25.

As for cooperating with LE, well, there are two sides to that street. I have also had my share of civil rights trampled, back alley politics, carrot with one hand, stick with the other from LEO ... there's good and bad in any system ... but beware when you expect civilized behavior at all times. I have found that some will lie at the drop of a hat andsome do it habitually. I have had LEO try to slander me with other business owners in this town. I have had wires worn in on me. I believe that my vehicle was bugged at one time. It got so bad that I went out of the local to find out if a wiretap was working on me or my home or my business. At times, I have found more forthrightness in career criminals as they will abide by a code of conduct to a certain extent.

It is a lot easier being a PI/SG than a bondsman! Not as exciting, but easier on these old bones. It's been almost 2 years and my back is still 'delicate' and recovering from some of the stress I put on it.

Again, I believe that Brian was completely in the right and the officer was completely in the wrong and he got caught with his pants down around his ankles! I see this incident as BigBadBubbaKop gonna teach YoungBlood a lesson. Only he couldn't pull his head out of where it was when he realized he was being taped ... Good on Brian!

I'm just saying that other folks might have a slightly (OK, majorly) jaundiced opinion of younger people based on our personal experiences.

I also believe that as members of this society, we have an implicit responsibility to not be a part of the problem ... when the problem is put in our face, it is also our responsibility to address it effectively, which may not be at the time of the occurance, but later with supervisors and higher as needed. To give ourselves the strongest case, we need to be ready with audio and/or video at all times.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Juggernaut wrote:
Disgusting attitude that LEO has. I'm not one to hate on LEOs but that makes my blood boil. :banghead:
Apparently, that officer was one of the few, the very few, the proud, the arrogant, the suspended without pay, and possibly facing discharge from the police force for his unjustified tirade.

Seeing this and a few similar videos makes me realize perhaps a voice recorder and CVR (cockpit video recorder) is probably one of the better deterrents to unlawful police aggression.

I have the utmost respect for the police, as do for the members of the military with whom I've served over two decades in several hotspots around the world. That doesn't mean there aren't some bad apples out there, however, and a means of recording one's compliance with the laws is probably a decent way to go.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

"Abuse of Authority Under Color of Law" The 'badge' is not a carte blanche ticket for sanctioned thuggery. We have that in 3rd world countries... we've observed that to a great extent in some 'civilized' nations of 20th century Europe and the old Soviet Union. Police exist to protect the public... not predate upon them for their own ends. Unfortunately they do that... and in some departments the predation is endemic. The cop in this vid seems to be a borderline socio-path... and a bully of the 1st order. A thug with a badge and a gun on a power trip looking for... even creating the slightest excuse for him to 'act out' his hostility upon the hapless and helpless. I fully agree had Darrow been armed, this 'cop' would have shot him for no other reason than being armed.