• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying multiple handguns in Tennessee

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I've often wondered if one may carry multiple handguns in Tennessee. I've been told yes and no and the people who say yes have never given a reason. Tennessee code specifically states law enforcement may carry firearms (plural). However, code never uses the plural for handgun carry permit holders.

I recently found an Attorney genereal opinion # 95-118 given November 28, 1995.

Question 32.

May a person who possesses a permit issued under Tenn. Code Ann. 39-17-1315(b) carry more than one handgun (or firearm) at a time (i.e., whether a person may carry a "back-up")?

Answer.

Yes. A person who possesses a permit issued under Tenn. Code Ann. 39-17-1315(b) may carry more than one handgun or firearm in succession, or at a time, so long as the permit holder complies with all of the relevant statutes regarding weapons.

Analysis.

The permit statute uses the singular: "a person wishing to carry a handgun shall apply to the sheriff of teh county of such person's principal place of residence for a handgun permit." section 39-17-1315(b) (emphasis supplied). Generally, however, a statute using the sigular must be deemed to include the plural unless the contrary intention is manifest: "Singular includes the plural and the plural the singular, except when the contrary intention is manifest." Tenn. Code Ann. 1-3-104(c). This office has previously opined that "[a] permit to carry a handgun issued to Tenn. Code Ann. 39-17-1315 is not restricted to a specified handgun, but rather allows a permit holder to carry any handgun that the permit holder lawfully owns and/or possesses." Op. Tenn. Atty. Gen. 95-025 (March 28, 1995) at 2. (Copy attached). Thus the statute does not manifestly indicate an intention to limit the number of handguns that may be carried in succession pursuant to a permit or that may be carried at any one time pursuant to a permit. Therefore the statute must be deemed to include the plural, and a person who possesses a permit issued under 39-17-1315(b) may carry more than one handgun at a time so long as he complies with all other applicable firearm statutes.

(39-17-1315 has repealed and 39-17-1351 has relaced it since the opinion was given)

I'm not not an attorney so carry at your own risk.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As far as I know, there is no law prohibiting the carry of multiple handguns as long as you have a HCP.

HOWEVER...

Keep in mind that in alomst every mass shooting case in recent history, the shooter(s) carried and used multiple handguns to carry out their murder sprees. Don't be surprised if OC of multiple handguns and extra magsdraws a pack of LEO to your location, to investigate.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I've asked the question on a few forums and no one could give me an answer. So, after a little research through the public information act I requested a copy of this AG opinion. Now that I understand why the law was written and that it does allow multiple handgun carry I will begin to carry multiple handguns. I'll have at least one as open carry and the rest concealed. The point is carrying multiple handguns appears to be legal in Tennessee.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
As far as I know, there is no law prohibiting the carry of multiple handguns as long as you have a HCP.

HOWEVER...

Keep in mind that in alomst every mass shooting case in recent history, the shooter(s) carried and used multiple handguns to carry out their murder sprees. Don't be surprised if OC of multiple handguns and extra magsdraws a pack of LEO to your location, to investigate.
I carried one handgun in Radnor Park and nine law enforcement officers showed up without me asking. If I carry two handguns how many will show up? How about two AK type pistols?

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

bohdi wrote:
So Kwik, are you going to be giving this a shot as well?
Yes, what happens in a self defense situation when someone takes my AK pistol? I'd like to have a backup or two just in case.

bohdi

imported post

Right. So do you plan on taking your AK pistol and one of your other weapons for a walk on your business in the park where you went last time or are you going for a more public venue like down town? I guess I should have been a bit more direct in my last question, my apologies.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I carry a handgun everywhere I go except where prohibited by law. I don't carry the orange Romanian Draco AK-47 type pistol everyday.

orangeak-47dracoromaniancamojacket.jpg

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

bohdi wrote:
Ok, well what about unloaded? That's the way they have to do it in California.

Unloaded and no ammunition in the vicinty is fine. At least in CA they can carry loaded mags on their person.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
bohdi wrote:
You should if you are trying to normalize that type of carry.
It is against city ordinance to carry a loaded handgun in the city where I live. Even with a handgun carry permit.
You've got to be kidding right???? You're saying in the State of Tennessee, a HCP holder is not exempt from the otherwise prohibited areas (cities), even if they CC. :banghead:

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

[align=justify]39-17-1314. Local regulation of firearms and ammunition preempted by state regulation — Actions against firearms or ammunition manufacturers, trade associations or dealers. —[/align]

a) Except as provided in § 39-17-1311(d), which allows counties and municipalities to prohibit the possession of handguns while within or on a public park, natural area, historic park, nature trail, campground, forest, greenway, waterway or other similar public place that is owned or operated by a county, a municipality or instrumentality thereof, no city, county, or metropolitan government shall occupy any part of the field of regulation of the transfer, ownership, possession or transportation of firearms, ammunition or components of firearms or combinations thereof; provided, that this section shall be prospective only and shall not affect the validity of any ordinance or resolution lawfully enacted before April 8, 1986.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
I've asked the question on a few forums and no one could give me an answer. So, after a little research through the public information act I requested a copy of this AG opinion. Now that I understand why the law was written and that it does allow multiple handgun carry I will begin to carry multiple handguns. I'll have at least one as open carry and the rest concealed. The point is carrying multiple handguns appears to be legal in Tennessee.

Approx. two months ago, there was one guy here talking about carrying 18 GLOCKs (simultaneously). I asked him which ones and he said they would be a mixture of G21s and G30s.

I think he might have been in Tennessee, but I don't remember for sure.

Will seeif I can find the thread. It may help.

macville

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
bohdi wrote:
You should if you are trying to normalize that type of carry.
It is against city ordinance to carry a loaded handgun in the city where I live. Even with a handgun carry permit.
You are talking about Nashville? Shows me the code that was put in place before 1986.

Matthew

SpringerXDacp

imported post

HankT wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:

Approx. two months ago, there was one guy here talking about carrying 18 GLOCKs (simultaneously). I asked him which ones and he said they would be a mixture of G21s and G30s.

I think he might have been in Tennessee, but I don't remember for sure.

Will seeif I can find the thread. It may help.

In Michigan, we get the same argument that our CPL (Concealed Pistol License) only allows the carry of one pistol, apparently due to the singular "Pistol" in CPL. This, however, is not the case since no such statue exists.

And, what on Earth would anyone want to carry (OC or CC) 18 pistols--it's stupid on many levels. A Glock 21, loaded (13+1) weighs approximately 2.4 lbs. The Glock 30, loaded (10+1), weighs approximately 2.2 lbs. No matter how you mix or match, with 18 pistols, the ammo and accessories, that would be about 50 lbs. I don't see how anyone could go about their daily business/life carrying 18 Glocks nor do I see any benefit to it whatsoever.