• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone interested in a pistol registration protest in Lansing?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
A follow up to the SAM would certainly not be a bad thing. Nor would it hurt to have some big banners listing this and all other 2A concerns at the SAM.

Venator, are there any funds earmarked for such a thing by SAM? If not, maybe we should start one????

No ear marked funds. MOC, Inc. will have a tent set up at the SAM rally as well as a few other gun groups.

You certainly can set up a tent with information to handout to people about a second rally in regards to the registration law. That giveyour cause two bites of the apple.

Kimberguy

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I decided I should probably further explain why I think it's a good idea to have 2 separate Lansing events, because I know I'm asking a lot by asking for 2 Lansing trips.

However, car pooling is always a good idea, and I can fit 2-3 passengers from the Metro Detroit area. Also, promoting the second amendment covers a lot of things. The second amendment gives us good cause to be mad about things like less lethal weapon bans, CEZ's, the CPL system, the NFA and GCA, and so on and so fourth. My impression is that the 2A march is about all these things, and more.

More than anything, I think we as Michigan gun owners have good cause to be mad about the intrusive and rediculous registration system. Very few states have such a thing.

Certainly we're not alone in having dumb weapon bans and more restrictive NFA bans, and a license to carry concealed. These things are wrong, but they aren't on the same playing field of stupidity and racism as the registration system. I think we need to make an enormous stink about it. I hope you guys can see my point. :uhoh:
I agree

lil_freak_66

imported post

springerdave wrote:
Do away with gun registration:what:? Think of the children:shock:! I'll come forth from the north:cool:.springerdave.

yes,think of me,i need your help!

anythingbefore im 18(this summer)ill carry an empty holster to show support,while staying within my legal boundaries,as well as to any normal meet and greets,until i obtain atraditional handgun,as the 10/22 id only feel comfortable doing at political events,as well as the 870.

actually gotta find my holster,for any meet and greets and political events i may attend.

lil_freak_66

imported post

oh i plan to OC,the problem is obtaining a handgun lawfully being pre-21

the 10/22 is a "handgun" persay but i wouldnt feel comfortable using that as a daily piece.

870 is a long arm,and would make good for a political rally.

patriot1776

imported post

I would def. be interested in this.

I don't own a handgun yet (although I am really hoping to get one by this summer, its money dependent), so if I went with a gun that wasn't a handgun I would bring along my AR15 carbine.

Would this be a big no-no for this, since we are concerned with handgun registration and not anything about long-guns?

Even though I'm sure a lot of us would love to show up in tactical vests and stuff, we have to be practical here. We don't want to raise such a stink as to hurt our cause. If it would do more harm then help, I would leave the AR15 at home and come with only a sign instead.

Michigander

imported post

patriot1776 wrote:
Would this be a big no-no for this, since we are concerned with handgun registration and not anything about long-guns?

Just be conscientious of what image you want to project. The tac vest for example, might make us look like wackos on the news, whereas if you have on a shirt and tie with your AR, you'll probably project a much better image, particularly if you use the AR to do something like explain that you have a right to buy an AR and carry it, but you need a government license to carry a handgun. (Registration process calls itself a "license to carry" and therefore handgun carry is not a right in this state)

That's not to say that the news might not slam us if we've got long guns, but they sometimes slam us anyway.

So in other words, go for it, but please be thoughtful and cautious.

joshuaeberly

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:

the 10/22 is a "handgun" persay but i wouldnt feel comfortable using that as a daily piece.

sorry I've got to chime in here, temp hijack.

there is no problem lawfully obtaining a handgun pre-21. get your purchase permit from police dept. then buy one from a private individual (non-FFL holder).

neither state nor federal law prohibits an individual over 18 and under 21 from purchasing/possessing/carrying a handgun. restrictions in federal law ONLY apply to purchase from federally licensed dealer.

rant off. back on topic. let's do it, registration is my biggest beef in MI (of course, followed by having to get a permission slip for CC and vehicle carry etc....)

we need to show up "in force" and tell them that we EXPECT them to carry out our wishes. I'm sick of "please" and "pretty please" we need to show up and remind them that THEY work for US

patriot1776

imported post

Michigander wrote:
patriot1776 wrote:

Just be conscientious of what image you want to project. The tac vest for example, might make us look like wackos on the news, whereas if you have on a shirt and tie with your AR, you'll probably project a much better image, particularly if you use the AR to do something like explain that you have a right to buy an AR and carry it, but you need a government license to carry a handgun. (Registration process calls itself a "license to carry" and therefore handgun carry is not a right in this state)

That's not to say that the news might not slam us if we've got long guns, but they sometimes slam us anyway.

So in other words, go for it, but please be thoughtful and cautious.
Interesting way to think about that. I think I will do that, a friend of mine just bought a WASR 10/63 (AKM copy), and he would def be interested in open carrying it at the event. The more I tell him about MI gun/knife laws, the more angry he gets.

If either of us went, we would def. be dressed our best.

So any idea when this will take place? I'm really pumped for this!

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

The Second Amendment March in Lansing is Tuesday April 13th. You can get more info and "register" in the events thread on this forum ( http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/15478.html) as well as look for or start a carpool. Please register or sign up for a carpool with SpringerXDacp as he maintains that thread.

Everyone is also encouraged to register their planned attendance to the SAM at the SAM website ( http://secondamendmentmarch.com/); look for the "RSVP" button on the right side of the screen.

lil_freak_66

imported post

xd-40 wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:

sorry I've got to chime in here, temp hijack.

there is no problem lawfully obtaining a handgun pre-21. get your purchase permit from police dept. then buy one from a private individual (non-FFL holder).

neither state nor federal law prohibits an individual over 18 and under 21 from purchasing/possessing/carrying a handgun. restrictions in federal law ONLY apply to purchase from federally licensed dealer.

rant off. back on topic. let's do it, registration is my biggest beef in MI (of course, followed by having to get a permission slip for CC and vehicle carry etc....)

we need to show up "in force" and tell them that we EXPECT them to carry out our wishes. I'm sick of "please" and "pretty please" we need to show up and remind them that THEY work for US

i was under the impression that we had to have it gifted if pre 21,and also heard that it has to be an immediate family member that did so

we had a discussion about it at the ponderosa meet and greet a few weeks ago in owosso,and there was confusion about it,and i had yet to look it up for my self as it isnt time sensitive yet.

Haman J.T.

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
Ummm, how about April 13th? After all, people do need something to do at the Second Amendment March! Make a huge banner to display in the crowd and prepare arguement points to present to the politicos. I'm sure Venator would welcome your efforts and incorporate it into a public speech.
One simple sign could say," END FIREARM REGISTRATION - RESTORE FREEDOM!".

Michigander

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
i was under the impression that we had to have it gifted if pre 21,and also heard that it has to be an immediate family member that did so

No, that is not correct. I believe it is the case in Ohio, or something similar, but not here. Michigan law does not prohibit non FFL sales of pistols to 18-20 year olds, as long as they are registered properly.

lil_freak_66

imported post

wonderful,all i have to do is get money for a handgun by summer then.

another question that comes to mind though...

total firearms doesnt sell handgun ammunition to under 21,as per the law.

(they include rimfire in handgun for some reason,only had that problem with them however)

if i legally obtain a firearm,how am i to get ammunition on a regular basis? as i would be doing a LOT of shooting at first to get used to a handgun,as ive barely handled them due to my "traditional long arms only" family.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
wonderful,all i have to do is get money for a handgun by summer then.

another question that comes to mind though...

total firearms doesnt sell handgun ammunition to under 21,as per the law.

(they include rimfire in handgun for some reason,only had that problem with them however)

if i legally obtain a firearm,how am i to get ammunition on a regular basis? as i would be doing a LOT of shooting at first to get used to a handgun,as ive barely handled them due to my "traditional long arms only" family.
I believe you can buy ammo for long guns. If you go to a large retail chain that sells ammo you can buy certain rounds that can be used in either a long gun or a handgun. If you buy handgun ammo for use in a long gun you are okay.

Michigander

imported post

Lil freak, your best bet is to start reloading. I'm not sure what the laws are regarding buying components, but regardless of that, reloading will work well for your wallet, and perhaps be more convenient. Even if you were 21+, reloading is the only affordable way to shoot "a lot" anymore.