• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Discuss the Kalamazoo long gun OC event HERE!

EM87

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
Evil Creamsicle wrote:
I would recommend anyone planning to do this make some kind of leg holster rig... since a 'pistol in a holster' cannot possibly be considered brandishing.

If you read the AG opinion it doesnt state it must be in a holster. Neither does it say a non-holstered pistol is brandishing. Its very specific ie to wave menicingly etc. Im at work and cant paste the opinion from my cell.. Nothin wrong with a sling, or belt sling. Thought I would say its bad to walk around with your hands on the grips and pointing it at things which could be seen as brandishing.

Mike

EM87

imported post

Michigander wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
Id say you'd be safe within the definition unless you're waving it around like a person with anger management issues:)

the term brandishing is defined as: "1. To wave or flourish menacingly, as a weapon. 2. To display ostentatiously. A menacing or defiant wave or flourish." This definition comports with the meaning ascribed to this term by courts of other jurisdictions…the court recognized that in federal sentencing guidelines, "brandishing" a weapon is defined to mean "that the weapon was pointed or waved about, or displayed in a threatening manner." Applying these definitions to your question, it is clear that a reserve police officer, regardless whether he or she qualifies as a "peace officer," when carrying a handgun in a holster in plain view, is not waving or displaying the firearm in a threatening manner.

You are right, and it's something I never thought about much. This opinion defines brandishing, THEN goes on to clarify an example of what isn't brandishing. I suppose it doesn't require a holster like in the example any more than it requires someone to be a cop to open carry.

However, I still think it is more in line with the opinion if in a holster, and I think it would be a lot harder to convict someone of a brandishing charge if a holster is used. It's hard to wave something around if it's securely strapped to your leg or perhaps shoulder.

So I'm not saying don't do it, it is after all a free ish country, but I still think a holster is the best option.

EM87

imported post

office888 wrote:
The AR15 to be open-carried, no, it's not a "pistol".

magpulafg001-1.jpg

Things to be changed within the next 2 months:
2-point Sling
Optics, Eotech 511.A65 probably
YHM Smooth Carbine Forearm with Bottom Rail

-Richard-

EM87

imported post

EM87 wrote:
office888 wrote:

magpulafg001-1.jpg

2-point Sling

-Richard-

Woah, that's a nice gun! So you're going to OC that thing, eh? Got your hunting permit(s) to CYA?

EM87

imported post

office888 wrote:
EM87 wrote:
office888 wrote:

magpulafg001-1.jpg

2-point Sling

-Richard-

Woah, that's a nice gun! So you're going to OC that thing, eh? Got your hunting permit(s) to CYA?
Yeah, I'm going to renew everything at the same time...in March or whenever they all expire?

-Richard-

EM87

imported post

EM87 wrote:
office888 wrote:
EM87 wrote:
office888 wrote:

PIC REMOVED FOR SMALLER QUOTE

2-point Sling

-Richard-

Yeah, I'm going to renew everything at the same time...in March or whenever they all expire?

-Richard-

I know this has been covered, but are we (MOC) sure that we've covered all our bases when it comes to long gun OC?

Here's the MGO thread in which ZZZ cites the relevant laws.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49955

My question is, are we missing any laws that may be relevant?

P.S. I'm only referencing the first page on that link where ZZZ cites the law.

EM87

imported post

office888 wrote:
EM87 wrote:
office888 wrote:
EM87 wrote:
office888 wrote:

PIC REMOVED FOR SMALLER QUOTE

2-point Sling

-Richard-

-Richard-

I know this has been covered, but are we (MOC) sure that we've covered all our bases when it comes to long gun OC?

Here's the MGO thread in which ZZZ cites the relevant laws.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49955

My question is, are we missing any laws that may be relevant?
Don't believe so, must like pistol open-carry, there's really no laws written about it.

I don't anticipate a problem, but if there is, that's what rinse+repeat is for.

-Richard-

office888

imported post

EM87 wrote:
Are we still planning on doing this in Kalamazoo?
We'll see! It depends on the direction of that Jackson decides to go with Kimberguy.

It'd be a great little spring picnic in one of the parks though! :)

-Richard-

lil_freak_66

imported post

if we can do it (or another one preferably) in july ill carry my old 870(long arm)

maybe the 10/22(registered as handgun),but the scope and hi cap mags always bump into my back,and im not going to be comfortable with the "at the ready" position because i always find myself grabbing at it to keep it out of the dirt when bending over and sitting down.

i vote jackson,from what ive read Kzoo has never really givenus much(if any) problem.

whereas probably most of ocdo knows aboutthe kimberguy encounters.

just dont invite the guy from tennessee to bring his completely orange AK.lol.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

lol... I thought about getting one of those bright orange LTL stocks for my mossberg. But now I don't wanna...

I'll do jackson... I still gotta get you guys a nice vid of the 'quick draw AK holster' we made...

lil_freak_66

imported post

just a thought on long arm OC

since we need a hunting permit for it...

could we be subject to follow hunting regulations?

such as no rifles in the no rifle zone,and round capacity?

as well as hunter orange.

office888

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:

Eh, the maximum I'll consider is the small game permit, considering I'm intending to do some coyote hunting this summer anyways.

It's not going to be IN a holster. Slung on my back, african-carry, is good enough for me and good enough to meet the requirements of the attorney general's legal opinion, as well as state law.

-Richard-

lil_freak_66

imported post

office888 wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:

Eh, the maximum I'll consider is the small game permit, considering I'm intending to do some coyote hunting this summer anyways.

It's not going to be IN a holster. Slung on my back, african-carry, is good enough for me and good enough to meet the requirements of the attorney general's legal opinion, as well as state law.

-Richard-

im not worried about how to carry it,just what i can and cant carry,as well as others.

if what i previously stated would be legally required that would make people carrying long armnot be allowed to carry rifles,and high cap. mags,and wear orange,if its still the season for orange being required.

id like more opinions on it.

lil_freak_66

imported post

office888 wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:

-Richard-
that does not exactly answer my question,i was inquiring about having to adhere to hunting regulations.