• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Pro 2A Governor

Johnyt101

imported post

Im sure that a lot of you are celebrating Ritters decision not to run (I am and Im not even from your state).

If the GOP manages to win the seat and gain in the CO Senate and House, is there a feeling that they will fix the denial of non-res permits and or bring open carry back to Denver?

Bebop

imported post

I am very happy to see that Ritter is not goingto run for re-election. :celebrateI also think ScottMcInnis is a good candidate for Gov. he is not great on every gun issue in my view, but I think few people would be, from what I have read the NRA gives him an A rating. He has a few other areas I disagree with too but the GOP could have put up a worse candidate.

As far as the denial about Non-res permits I am not sure exactly what you are talking about. Are you wondering if Colorado would do like Utah and allow people from out of state toget aCHP from Colorado or are you talking about reciprocity? Colorado does have reciprocity with states. To change the open carry laws would have to be done within the City and County of Denver itself thru legislation or a law suite against the city for the unconstitutionality of its ban. The state's legislative bodyand/or gov. couldn't overturn the cities law because it was already decided when the city sued the state (I know dumb huh)

Johnyt101

imported post

To clarify what I meant on the non-res permits. I mean that since I live in IL which doesnt have any form of carry, I got a PA permit. Since I am not a res of PA, CO will not honor my permit.

CO used to honor my permit untill Ritter signed a bill changing the law. I just want that law repealed and would some one please hurry up and challenge Denver's ban on OC?

JamesB

imported post

I was present for the testimony when that statute was changed. Believe me when I saw that it would take much more than just a new Governer to get it changed back.

Bebop

imported post

Not positive but I have a feeling it has to do with the fact that if you are a resident in Colorado you must have a Colorado permit in order to carry. So they only allow people to carry who match that but just happen to be in another state. I got my Utah permit before my Colorado permit but I still wasn't allowed to carry even though Utah permits are acceptable in Colorado. I would be happy to see this law changed but I have a feeling it would take a majority of Pro-gun state congressmen in order to get that changed. I am not sure if Scott would sign that bill, he went against a bill that would take the waiting period for gun show buys from 3 days down to 1 or so his web site says. We can always try and I would be happy to try to get a representative to change the law and see what happens I just don't have a lot of hopes that it would actually happen after the next election.

We need someone in Denver to challenge the ruling so that they have standing with the courts. Finding someone who is an open carry advocate in Denver would be like trying to find someone who is straight in San Francisco

Edit to add:

I thought about it a little more and it may not have to be someone in Denver to challenge it. There may be a chance after the next election but a few things need to happen. First is that Scott is elected Gov., next is that the 4 Colorado supreme court justices that are up for retention are voted out (all would be great but just 2-3 would probably work), third is that Scott would have to appoint pro-gun,small gov., constitutionalist,non judicial activist judges to the court. It is possible the biggest hurdle is getting people to vote out the judges. It would still be a long battle that would probably have to go up to the Colorado Supreme court or higher to get overturned.

bomber

imported post

Ritter didn't have anything to do with banning OC in denver. right?

Bebop

imported post

Someone may have to correct me on this but I think the case was before Ritter was Gov. and before Hickinlooper (spelling?)was Denver Mayor but I am not positive. If he was Gov then he couldn't control whatthe city's lawswhere,I think, unless he thought they were in violation of the State and maybe the federal constitution. If Ritter was Gov and he had a hand in it I am sure it would havebeen to try to ban OC in the State not just in Denver.

entartet17

imported post

The case was from when Owens was governor and Webb was mayor. Of course, before Owens we had Romer and Lamm (both Dems) who influenced policy and the make-up of the CO Supreme Court.

Webb was very anti-gun and he was the one who pushed for the continuation of the OC ban.

desettle

imported post

You are correct, it was Webb who suied the state on first the CCW within Denver (and luckly lost) and then the OC in Denver, which ultimately won after the Supreme Court ruling. It is a bunch of BS, but it goign to take a lot to get that over turned as mentioned previous.

Then of course you have the issue of CCW on public university campuses where you can on some but not on UC in Boulder because they have elected board of regents. :banghead:

I am just glad I live in Douglas County. :)

-desettle

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

desettle wrote:
You are correct, it was Webb who suied the state on first the CCW within Denver (and luckly lost)
Why do you consider a failure to establish CCW rights within Denver to be "lucky?" What's so special about Denver that different rules should apply than do to the other fine cities, towns, and municipalities throughout our state?

Remember, the CWP is a privilege restricted to those who pass the background checks.

Anubis

imported post

since9 wrote:
Why do you consider a failure to establish CCW rights within Denver to be "lucky?"
What happened was thatDenver politicians sued to attempt to exemptDenver from being forced to accept the new shall-issue CCW state law passed in 2003. Denver failed when the famous "Meyer Decision" was eventually upheld by the Colorado State Supreme Court , so the state CCW law applies everywhere in the state. A victory for pro-2A forces.

desettle

imported post

since9 wrote:
desettle wrote:
You are correct, it was Webb who suied the state on first the CCW within Denver (and luckly lost)
Why do you consider a failure to establish CCW rights within Denver to be "lucky?" What's so special about Denver that different rules should apply than do to the other fine cities, towns, and municipalities throughout our state?

Remember, the CWP is a privilege restricted to those who pass the background checks.

I was stating that luckly the courts did not allow Denver to be treated any different than the rest of the state. So, I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying.

-desettle

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Anubis wrote:
since9 wrote:
Why do you consider a failure to establish CCW rights within Denver to be "lucky?"
What happened was thatDenver politicians sued to attempt to exemptDenver from being forced to accept the new shall-issue CCW state law passed in 2003. Denver failed when the famous "Meyer Decision" was eventually upheld by the Colorado State Supreme Court , so the state CCW law applies everywhere in the state. A victory for pro-2A forces.
Whoo-hooo!

And desettle, I think I did misunderstand what you were saying.

Now if we can only overturn that 4-4 open carry debacle for Denver...

desettle

imported post

since9 wrote:
Anubis wrote:
since9 wrote:
Whoo-hooo!

And desettle, I think I did misunderstand what you were saying.

Now if we can only overturn that 4-4 open carry debacle for Denver...

Deffinitly agree with you on that.

Yooper

imported post

Bebop wrote:
Not positive but I have a feeling it has to do with the fact that if you are a resident in Colorado you must have a Colorado permit in order to carry.
When the shall issue law passed, a resident of Colorado could carry in colorado with a permit that they recognized. The new law states that the persons drivers license or ID must be from the same state as the gun permit.

What Colorado, along with other states need to do is get rid of the permits all together, and go with a Vermont style. Until then, they should pass a law that says residents of Colorado must have a Colorado CCW to carry, and any non-resident of the state can carry with any other states permit that they recognize.

Pat-inCO

imported post

It really is very simple.

A) If you are a Colorado resident:
you MUST have a Colorado CCW to carry concealed.

Since Colorado is a - shall issue - state, it is a formality and $150. If you live here, what is the problem?

B) If you live outside of Colorado:
you MUST have a permit from the state you live in to carry concealed in Colorado,
AND that state must have a reciprocal agreement with Colorado.

That gives you incentive to get the laws changed in - your - state.
What is the problem?

Gunslinger

imported post

That xxxx from the PDR of Denver is no better than Tax Ritter. We need to take back the governorship, beat useless Bennet and take back the legislature. And we have a good chance of doing just that. CO went democrap as an anomaly. Time to take the state back for the people.