• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Metro Strikes again

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

joeschmo wrote:
The Big Guy wrote:
Don't you folks get it? We are suppose to rely on these welltrained police officers to protect us. You know, the ones who fire 82 rounds at a fleeing suspect and hit him twice. The ones who fire 2 rounds at an SUV and can't hit it. Perhaps she was afraid that if it came to a gunfight that Joe Citizen would show her up?
You just lost any credibility you ever had.
That seems to match the details I heard about the incident. Were there not more than 80 shots fired, with only two landing on target?

Gordie

imported post

timf343 wrote:
joeschmo wrote:
The Big Guy wrote:
Don't you folks get it? We are suppose to rely on these welltrained police officers to protect us. You know, the ones who fire 82 rounds at a fleeing suspect and hit him twice. The ones who fire 2 rounds at an SUV and can't hit it. Perhaps she was afraid that if it came to a gunfight that Joe Citizen would show her up?
That seems to match the details I heard about the incident. Were there not more than 80 shots fired, with only two landing on target?
It wouldn't be the first time that a shootout had those kind of results.

Sabotage70

imported post

joeschmo wrote:
The Big Guy wrote:
Don't you folks get it? We are suppose to rely on these well trained police officers to protect us. You know, the ones who fire 82 rounds at a fleeing suspect and hit him twice. The ones who fire 2 rounds at an SUV and can't hit it. Perhaps she was afraid that if it came to a gunfight that Joe Citizen would show her up?

Yeah your right. I heard it was only 81 rounds :quirky

Ok metro's apologist, how many times did they hit him? I never did catch how many times they actually hit him. Just that he was hit in the head and chest.

I'm currently working out at the base right now. I just know about a day or two after the court house shooting they where at the range up on sunrise mountain and it sounded like a mini war was going on. I could hear it where I was at along the flight line. Between when the jets were taking off of course.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

imported post

joeschmo wrote:
The Big Guy wrote:

From my recollection, his numbers are accurate.Why would he lose any credibility? And with whom?He then went on to ponder a point that many others have wondered. Would you care to explain your statement?

Dangerfish

imported post

Ok, first off, it wasn't Metro in the court house, correct? I've heard it was the US Marshalls and Court security.

Granted that is quite the spray on their part, but what about when a lone shooter shoots at the military, I would wager a hell of alot more then 82 shots are fired at him...

Either way, someone needs to go to the damn range a bit more.

joeschmo

imported post

DON`T TREAD ON ME wrote:
joeschmo wrote:
The Big Guy wrote:

From my recollection, his numbers are accurate.Why would he lose any credibility? And with whom?He then went on to ponder a point that many others have wondered. Would you care to explain your statement?
By talking about it like they don't know what they were doing. A running gun battle with distances well over 25 yards with handguns is not going to be pretty at all in terms ofaccuracy. To sit there and Monday morning quarterback it like this board likes to do acting like you can do better is laughable.It also wasn't Metro who was in it, it was the court security officers and US Marshalls.

Gordie

imported post

Knowing a couple of firearms instructors who work almost exclusively with LE,they would most likely bet that metro wouldn't fare any better. I have heard the stories of what they see at qualification time.

Lack of marksmanship is a problem nationwide and at all levels of LE. This is well documented.

The sad fact is that most LEOs only fire their weapons enough to get their quals and then pretty much forget about their use until it's too late to do anything to improve their abilities. Even with free ammo and range time available, they just don't bother to practice.

gunrunner1911

imported post

Just came across this little article written about another topic entirely but one paragraph stands out which Iwill post here and then the link to the whole article.

Watch a cop disarm a peaceful and compliant driver who has a permit to carry a concealed weapon, before writing him a traffic ticket. Wouldn't it be more appropriate for our "servant" the policeman to take off his gun, unload it, and lay it on the hood of the car, "for the driver's safety," until he had concluded his business with his servant and master, the taxpayer/voter? After all, his quick computer background check has already revealed this driver to be one of the safest and most law-abiding and best-trained citizens out there -- those "pistol permits" don't come in Cracker Jack boxes, you know.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/columns/suprynowicz030309.html

joeschmo

imported post

DON`T TREAD ON ME wrote:
joeschmo wrote:
The Big Guy wrote:

After the autopsy, it was determined that the suspect was actually shot 18 times.

Oops, I guess I forgot to post the link last night. Here it is:

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=11856060

Vegassteve

imported post

joeschmo wrote:
DON`T TREAD ON ME wrote:
joeschmo wrote:
The Big Guy wrote:

After the autopsy, it was determined that the suspect was actually shot 18 times.

Link?

vegasche1023

imported post

Well put!! anybody can shoot at a stationary paper target, while calmly taking aim. They need to practice with paintball guns in real life scenarios like SWAT does.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

imported post

If you have ANY kind of training at all, and your about to shoot, you know down deep what your odds are of hitting that target. So I think it comes down to accountability, or for the Government employees, the lack of accountability

gunrunner1911

imported post

I have to admit that at one of my friends little mini tactical shoot we were faced with the daunting task of a multiple attacker scenario. There were 4 instructors present and not one of us completed the drill. It was tough and was designed to fail us but was certainly a learning experience.

I don't know how many times I would come across this but here goes.

Take 6 targets spread them out in from of the shooter semi circle from about 315 to 45 degrees. Label each with a letter at the head number at the bottom. Label 12 index cards with corresponding letter and numbers random order. EX A should not be 1 it should be 3 or 4 targets are not in order left to right A might be to the right. Place shooter in the middle at roughly 7yrds to the farthest target with most targets falling in the 3-5 yard range. The cards are shuffled and the shooter is told the first target to be shot,the buzzer goes and the shooter engages each target as the number or letter happens to be called with 2 shots. 24 rnds total 4 shots each. When we scored them after each shooter not one of us had 4 holes in each target. The pace count is about 2sec. per target and doesn't stop for the reload. My ratio was about 70% which was comparable to the others. Students at about 60% or better depending on skill level.

I expected better from myself but compared with metro we didn't do too bad.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

joeschmo wrote:
DON`T TREAD ON ME wrote:
joeschmo wrote:
The Big Guy wrote:

Oops, I guess I forgot to post the link last night. Here it is:

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=11856060
How does this really make it any better? Really bad and Horribly bad are still way beyond acceptable.

Where did all the other bullets go? Where are the Brady's crying for more gun control, you know, for the children!?!?!?

I have never, ever met any 'civillian' gun owner who sucks that bad. Ever. Not even while falling-down drunk, have I ever seen anyone operate a firearm with that degree of incompetence. And yes, I've been around drunk people shooting. A bad combination, you're damn right. But clearly not anywhere near as bad as cops with guns...

If you are not on target, you DO NOT pull the trigger! EVER. PERIOD! I don't care if you have 734 badges pinned to 52 uniforms in layers. There is just plain no excuse for that ratio.

How can anyone be 'disarmed for safety' by and among Government Agents with this extreme degree of incompetence and outright disrespect for the Bill of Rights?

They don't want us armed, because we show the world how crappy they are on both counts.

We-the-People

imported post

Dangerfish wrote:
Ok, first off, it wasn't Metro in the court house, correct? I've heard it was the US Marshalls and Court security.

Granted that is quite the spray on their part, but what about when a lone shooter shoots at the military, I would wager a hell of alot more then 82 shots are fired at him...

Either way, someone needs to go to the damn range a bit more.

Actually, a lone shooter firing on the military gets zero rounds returned until civillian law enforcement shows up. Google "fort hood shooting".

As a Marine veteran that is NOT a ding on the military but rather on the idiotic civillian handlers (i.e. politicians) who disarm them on US bases.

We-the-People

imported post

I figured that you MEANT in combat but my step son was stationed at Ft Hood, thankfully PCS'd before the shooting, and it pissed me off (Ft Hood not your statement) so I had to make the comment.