• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help me understand

jp49911

imported post

tekshogun wrote
Oh man, here we go. Which Wal-Mart was this? Do you happen to know what police district it was (east, west, central, or southern)?
Wal-Mart on Elmsley off of S. Elm Eugene.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jp49911 wrote:
tekshogun wrote
Oh man, here we go. Which Wal-Mart was this? Do you happen to know what police district it was (east, west, central, or southern)?
Wal-Mart  on Elmsley off of S. Elm Eugene.

Hmmmm, ok, southern. That is usually the store I go to for ammunition.

Well, I'm glad you were not hassled. GPD is still not too used to people openly carrying a gun. I am concerned about the statement of coming back if they're called. It does sound as though the officer needed to find something to say. Of course they'll "come back" if they are called out there (for a MWAG or any other call).

I am sure though that he knew it was not illegal but perhaps wanted to present the situation of doing something or investigating if there was a call. A citizen wouldn't warrant any police action if no crime was being committed other than seeing or talking to you real quick to determine anything illegal has or was happening; and if the store called, I am guessing that they would need to ask you to leave first unless they wanted to call the police to do it for them, either way, nothing illegal happening and no investigation, detainment, citation, or arrest would be warranted.

Thanks for the report though, keep up the good fight.

jp49911

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
jp49911 wrote:
tekshogun wrote
Wal-Mart on Elmsley off of S. Elm Eugene.

Hmmmm, ok, southern. That is usually the store I go to for ammunition.

Well, I'm glad you were not hassled. GPD is still not too used to people openly carrying a gun. I am concerned about the statement of coming back if they're called. It does sound as though the officer needed to find something to say. Of course they'll "come back" if they are called out there (for a MWAG or any other call).

I am sure though that he knew it was not illegal but perhaps wanted to present the situation of doing something or investigating if there was a call. A citizen wouldn't warrant any police action if no crime was being committed other than seeing or talking to you real quick to determine anything illegal has or was happening; and if the store called, I am guessing that they would need to ask you to leave first unless they wanted to call the police to do it for them, either way, nothing illegal happening and no investigation, detainment, citation, or arrest would be warranted.

Thanks for the report though, keep up the good fight.
I live about four minutes from this Wal-Mart and go there a few times a week (OC'ing EVERY time).

They now me. I have talked with management and security (the ones in the room monitoring the cameras). I had an issue with OC'ing their in April 09 but sine then it's been smooth.

Kivuli

imported post

Not to defend the officer's reaction or anything, but I have to give the southern operations guys some leeway. That area, in a wide circle around S. Elm-Eugene and I-40 is probably one of the most dangerous areas of Greensboro for them.

Nevertheless, I'm glad the fellows at Wal-Mart are on your side now. What a flip, eh?

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Kivuli wrote:
Not to defend the officer's reaction or anything, but I have to give the southern operations guys some leeway. That area, in a wide circle around S. Elm-Eugene and I-40 is probably one of the most dangerous areas of Greensboro for them.

Nevertheless, I'm glad the fellows at Wal-Mart are on your side now. What a flip, eh?

Well, you could say that for sectors in Central and Eastern especially. Those in Western or the squads that get sectors in areas such as New Irving park should be on as high a level of awareness as the rest of the city. With that said, as long as no one violates any rights or laws, they can say or do whatever they want.