• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

American Political Activism: 'Tweet About Democracy', State.gov

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2010/01/134861.htm

Tweet About Democracy

Office of the Spokesman Washington, DC
January 7, 2010
The U.S. Department of State announces the launch of the global Democracy is…” Twitter Contest. Tweet what you think democracy is using the hash symbol: #democracyis. The goal is to provide a worldwide platform in which people can discuss the meaning of democracy and exchange ideas from diverse perspectives.

The global “Democracy is…” Twitter Contest begins today at 5:30 p.m. EST and ends January 21, 2010 at 11:59 p.m. EST. To join the contest, become a Twitter follower of @demvidchallenge and tweet what you think democracy is in 140 characters or less. The contestant whose tweet with the greatest number of unique re-tweets will receive a Flip Video HD Camcorder. The winner will be announced on the Democracy Video Challenge Facebook fan page [sup][1][/sup] on January 25, 2010. Only one re-tweet per user will count in the official tally. Additional contests will be announced throughout the year.

Background
The global “Democracy is…” Twitter Contest expands the international conversation on democracy, initiated by the Democracy Video Challenge partnership. Both contests engage with and amplify the views of young people around the world by using new media to break down cultural and geographic borders and involve younger audiences in a transparent and candid discussion about an issue of global importance. To date, the Democracy Video Challenge maintains a vibrant online community of over 30,000 friends, fans[sup][1][/sup] and followers[sup][2][/sup].

The Democracy Video Challenge is made possible by a public-private partnership that includes: the Center for International Private Enterprise, the International Republican Institute, the International Youth Foundation, the Motion Picture Association of America, NBC Universal, the Recording Industry Association of America, the National Democratic Institute, New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts, USC’s Annenberg School of Communication & Journalism, TakingITGlobal, the U.S. Department of State, and YouTube.

For more information about the worldwide “Democracy Is…” Twitter contest or the Democracy Video Challenge, contact:
Laura Hesselton at 202-632-9933 or via email at hesseltonle@state.gov

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://boortz.com/nealz_nuze/2010/01/democracy-is.html

DEMOCRACY IS ... By Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)The State Department has decided that it is going to host a Twitter competition. Contestants are to "tweet what you think democracy is in 140 characters or less." The winner will get a Flip video camera.
Naturally, I have my own ideas for the State Department Twitter contest but something tells me they won't be well received. Here are some examples:
Democracy .. detested by our founding fathers, loved by today's despots.
Democracy .. a concept completely misunderstood by the American people.
Democracy is three wolves and one sheep deciding what to eat for dinner.
Democracy is a form of government which panders to the crude and mindless whims of the masses.
Democracy is mob rule that recognizes no individual rights.
Democracy .. where the rule of the masses destroys the rights of the individuals.
There. Those didn't take 140 characters. It also didn't take a lot of creativity on my part ... only a little bit of research into what our own founding fathers thought of the idea of democracy. You see, a lot of you were probably educated in government schools. That's ok. You really don't understand my aversion to Democracy. Well, that's by design. But your government schools did you a grand disservice (man is THAT an understatement!). Your government school teachers lied to you. Our country is not a democracy. Shocking, I know. But did you know that the word "democracy" fails to appear in the Declaration of Independence, the U.S. Constitution or the constitutions of any of our 50 states?
Look at it this way. Let's say that you're charged with a horrible crime. Well say you are charged with the rape and murder of a little girl. You're innocent .. but you also know that pretty much everybody in the community thinks you're guilty as hell .. and they're forming a lynch mob. At this point are you rooting for democracy or the rule of law? Do you want a system where the majority prevails? Or do you want a system with a structure of laws that will protect you while guilt is adjudicated?
The idea that our country is a democracy did not take hold until about the time of Woodrow Wilson. This is when politicians began to see the Constitution as a roadblock to enacting their dreams and schemes. So they started spreading this idea that we were a country ruled by men (instead of law) and therefore began to abuse and stretch the limitations of the Constitution.
So back to my quote. I said that it wasn't original. I got it from a book titled "Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation" by historian Joseph Ellis. At the very beginning of the book he tells us what our founding fathers thought of the idea of democracy:
"... the term "democrat" originated as an epithet and referred to 'one who panders to the crude and mindless whims of the masses.'"
Sounds about right, doesn't it? Now ... we will see if that wins me a Flip video camera. Wait! I already have one ... so it doesn't matter.
Like hell it doesn't.

Capn Camo

imported post

Nice try DoS, but America IS NOT a Democracy. "To the REPUBLIC for which it stands...."

Democracy is a benevolent DICTATORSHIP, thats how its inventor, Alexander the Great of Greece set it up. He went across Asia conquering people and promising to leave them alone as long as they PAID him off.

Sound familiar?

Capn Camo

imported post

You need some SERIOUS education, Phoenix, we DO NOT have Democratic elections.
We have a REPRESENTATIVE DEMOCRACY.

The voting process IS NOT democratic. A democracy is simple rule by a majority.

Our elections systems ARE NOT voting simply by majority. We have a system to eliminate that problem, just like the Three Branches have checks and balances to prevent one branch from taking power, the election systems also have checks and balances, the ELECTORIAL COLLEGE>

DEMOCRACY HAS NO CHECKS OR BALANCES. IT ALWAYS RUNS OFF INTO EXTREMISM.

Move to CUBA for a while to understand how EVIL democracy is.