• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

question about firing in waukesha

scorpio_vette

imported post

my inlaws live in town of waukesha near townline and hwy 164. they have a large lot with the backyard going out into woods.

i keep wondering if i could shoot small caliber rifles or even my handgun there, or if i could use my pellet air rifle there for some target or squirrel shooting (squirrel hunting also has regulations, i'm aware of that). how/where would i go about finding out if i'm allowed to use my guns on their property???

thanks.

also would it be legal to do target shooting at a place like vernon marsh???

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
my inlaws live in town of waukesha near townline and hwy 164. they have a large lot with the backyard going out into woods.

i keep wondering if i could shoot small caliber rifles or even my handgun there, or if i could use my pellet air rifle there for some target or squirrel shooting (squirrel hunting also has regulations, i'm aware of that). how/where would i go about finding out if i'm allowed to use my guns on their property???

thanks.

also would it be legal to do target shooting at a place like vernon marsh???
When I lived near there over 25 years ago, we hunted that area quite extensively. (actually nearer Townline & Guthrie roads. (Hwy U?) We had free run of all the property from townline rd. to National Ave. (Hwy ES) along guthrie road, and back in about a mile or so. We used to take Pheasant, Duck's,Geese, Deer and that is where I ran my traplineall through that area.

But, I am guessing it is all subdivisions now or something else that got all built up??

You couldn't hunt deer with a rifle in Waukesha county, but shooting rifles for target practice was ok, I would just make sure you are far enough from others homes, and your backstop is proper.
In that area, you are real close to Vernon Marsh public hunting grounds, and Frog Alley. So unless they changed drastically, I feel you would be good, check the local ordinances before taking my word for it though. Things tend to change.

icepik

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
where/how would i find these local ordinances?
Hope this helps...

Town first, then city of, in case you meant that....

:arrow:Town of Waukesha:

Their Ordinances: http://www.tn.waukesha.wi.gov/Docs_by_cat_type.asp?doccatid=76&locid=176

Specific Ordinance against shooting:

SEC 11-2-1 DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS.
(a)
Prohibited Use. No center-fire rifle may be fired or discharged by any person within the Town of Waukesha.
*Note: All Hunting regulations are subject to State of Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources Rules and Regulations http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildlife/hunt/

:arrow:City of Waukesha:

Their Ordinances: http://www.ci.waukesha.wi.us/web/guest/codebook

Specific Ordinance against shooting:

CHAPTER 11
Orderly Conduct
11.13 Firearms and Other Weapons
(Rep. & recr. #15-84)
(1) FIREARMS. No person shall discharge or cause to be discharged any revolver, pistol,
shotgun, rifle or other related device in the City that propels a projectile or projectiles by
the burning of powder within a cartridge or barrel that creates a quantity of gas to expand
and propels a projectile or projectiles without the permission of the Chief of Police to do
so, except in self-defense or in the course of the lawful discharge of duties as a peace
officer.
(2) AIR GUNS AND RELATED DEVICES. No person shall discharge or cause to be
discharged any revolver, pistol, rifle or other device that propels a missile, projectile or
substance by the expansion of compressed air, gas or spring, within the City.
(3) ARCHERY EQUIPMENT AND RELATED DEVICES. No person shall discharge or
cause to be discharged any type of bow, crossbow or related device which propels an
arrow, bolt, spear or other type of missile within the City. However, the Park and
Recreation Department and the Waukesha School System, when authorized by the Chief
of Police, may conduct supervised activities in areas under their jurisdiction.
(4) EXCEPTIONS. This section does not apply to authorized dealers within the City in
the ordinary course of their business providing the proper safeguards are utilized.
WAUKESHA MUNICIPAL CODE 09/23/98

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
where/how would i find these local ordinances?

I would start by looking for the waukesha county ordinances online. I also believe the OCDO member "Smithman" lives in Waukesha, he may be able to help you.

Back in the day, the shooting/hunting ordinances were posted on most street corners by use of a metal sign.
That area was a great hunting destination for many. And there used to be a trap/skeet range right on the corner of 164 & Hwy ES, there was alsoa Kennel club in that area for people that had hunting dogs. The doggy cemetary is in that area too, I have a few Irish Setters buried there.

How built up is the area now? I remember nothing but a few farms, and endless fields of soybeans, & corn with pockets of wooded areas and treelines extending for miles.

I'll take a look at it through google earth, I'll probaby be disappointed from the sprawl though.

scorpio_vette

imported post

in my opinion, it's fairly high populated and build up now.

@icepik----i'm refering to TOWN of waukesha. thanks for that info and link.

so based on how that is written, am i to understand that rim-fire and air-rifle would be permited in the TOWN of waukesha, just not center-fire???

icepik

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
in my opinion, it's fairly high populated and build up now.

@icepik----i'm refering to TOWN of waukesha. thanks for that info and link.

so based on how that is written, am i to understand that rim-fire and air-rifle would be permited in the TOWN of waukesha, just not center-fire???
You're welcome.

That's how I would interpret the ordinance, however, I'm not a lawyer and by no means should you do it just because I say.

You could check with the local police department, but I'm fairly certain you'll get a no.

Perhaps someone else will chime in on this one.

scorpio_vette

imported post

don't worry, i never take anybodies word as set in stone. i generally try to research as much as i can and discuss it with others to make sure i'm not misunderstanding something to horribly wrong. i've always done that with my automotive modifications, and have gotten out of a few wrongfull tickets because i had done my research.

but since i'm new to firearms, i completely have to start over with all my researching and memorizing. LOL