Thread: HB 870: Concealed handgun permit applications; fingerprints

Post imported post

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...?101+sum+HB870

Full Text

Concealed handgun permit applications; fingerprints. Removes the option for a locality to require that an applicant for a concealed handgun permit submit fingerprints as part of the application.

Post imported post

Says "locality"....does that include the VSP in the case of a non-resident applying?
    States donít have rights. People do.

Post imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
    Says "locality"....does that include the VSP in the case of a non-resident applying?
    Read the full text, then ask questions.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Post imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
    mrjam2jab wrote:
    Says "locality"....does that include the VSP in the case of a non-resident applying?¬*
    Read the full text, then ask questions.

Post imported post

Looks like they forgot to cross out the section about Non-res supplying prints.

We'll have to point that out to the author...

ETA: Email sent to Del Cline.

ETA2: Interesting...they want my mailing address ...

... in order to determine how Del. Cline can best respond to your concerns?

Post imported post

So, am I to understand that the fingerprint requirement is to be eliminated for nonresidents?

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    So, am I to understand that the fingerprint requirement is to be eliminated for nonresidents?
    The bill does NOT have the non-res section crossed out. I sent am email to Del Cline pointing this out...hoping it was just an oversight...still waiting on a response.

Post imported post

I guess when they discovered I dont live in VA, they dont want to be bothered with me. I havent heard back from them since they asked for my address.

Post imported post

I could try. Can you send me the email address?

While I believe I qualify for a resident Virginia permit (I have a fixed VA residence, and I pay car registration) -- the law specifies that there is no duration requirement for residency, and it doesn't say anything about "full-time" or "domiciliary" -- it might be easier for me to get a nonresident permit since my only ID is currently from the state of California. However, I won't be fingerprinted like a criminal if I can possibly avoid it.

I may have a little more clout, since I am a Virginia resident and taxpayer and can honestly give a Virginia address, and yet this issue still may affect me.

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:

While I believe I qualify for a resident Virginia permit (I have a fixed VA residence, and I pay car registration) -- the law specifies that there is no duration requirement for residency, and it doesn't say anything about "full-time" or "domiciliary" -- it might be easier for me to get a nonresident permit since my only ID is currently from the state of California. However, I won't be fingerprinted like a criminal if I can possibly avoid it.

I may have a little more clout, since I am a Virginia resident and taxpayer and can honestly give a Virginia address, and yet this issue still may affect me.
    Good luck...

Delegate Ben Cline
    DelBCline@house.virginia.gov

this is what i sent 01/14/10

Good afternoon Delagate Cline, Having recently read through HB 870, I was wondering if there may have been an over sight. The bill is designed to remove the requirements of submitting fingerprints for concealed handgun permit applicants and I see where that section is crossed out to show the change in SS 18.2-308 D. I was wondering if the same fingerprint requirement might also be stricken from subsection P1 of that same statute regarding the application by non-residents. Thank you for your time and work in the area of firearms laws.
    I got an almost immediate response asking for my mailing address...and that was all.

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:

Did you hear back? I haven't.

Post imported post

I finally got a response. Guess it was easier for them to send a letter than to reply to email...