• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 870: Concealed handgun permit applications; fingerprints

mrjam2jab

imported post

Looks like they forgot to cross out the section about Non-res supplying prints.

We'll have to point that out to the author...

ETA: Email sent to Del Cline.

ETA2: Interesting...they want my mailing address ...

... in order to determine how Del. Cline can best respond to your concerns?

mrjam2jab

imported post

marshaul wrote:
So, am I to understand that the fingerprint requirement is to be eliminated for nonresidents?

The bill does NOT have the non-res section crossed out. I sent am email to Del Cline pointing this out...hoping it was just an oversight...still waiting on a response.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I could try. Can you send me the email address?

While I believe I qualify for a resident Virginia permit (I have a fixed VA residence, and I pay car registration) -- the law specifies that there is no duration requirement for residency, and it doesn't say anything about "full-time" or "domiciliary" -- it might be easier for me to get a nonresident permit since my only ID is currently from the state of California. However, I won't be fingerprinted like a criminal if I can possibly avoid it.

I may have a little more clout, since I am a Virginia resident and taxpayer and can honestly give a Virginia address, and yet this issue still may affect me.

mrjam2jab

imported post

marshaul wrote:

While I believe I qualify for a resident Virginia permit (I have a fixed VA residence, and I pay car registration) -- the law specifies that there is no duration requirement for residency, and it doesn't say anything about "full-time" or "domiciliary" -- it might be easier for me to get a nonresident permit since my only ID is currently from the state of California. However, I won't be fingerprinted like a criminal if I can possibly avoid it.

I may have a little more clout, since I am a Virginia resident and taxpayer and can honestly give a Virginia address, and yet this issue still may affect me.

Good luck...

Delegate Ben Cline
DelBCline@house.virginia.gov

this is what i sent 01/14/10

Good afternoon Delagate Cline, Having recently read through HB 870, I was wondering if there may have been an over sight. The bill is designed to remove the requirements of submitting fingerprints for concealed handgun permit applicants and I see where that section is crossed out to show the change in SS 18.2-308 D. I was wondering if the same fingerprint requirement might also be stricken from subsection P1 of that same statute regarding the application by non-residents. Thank you for your time and work in the area of firearms laws.

I got an almost immediate response asking for my mailing address...and that was all.

mrjam2jab

imported post

marshaul wrote:

Did you hear back? I haven't.