• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 885: Possession of concealed weapons

2a4all

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Now....we have to decide at least two things.

1. What does secured mean?

2. Does this apply to all vessels or just motor powered vessels?

in a private motor vehicle or vessel

I can thin of a few more pitfalls too:X

[size=+1]No. 99-1712-CR [/size]
[size=+1]STATE OF WISCONSIN IN COURT OF APPEALS [/size]
DISTRICT III
[size=+1]State of Wisconsin, [/size]
[size=+1]Plaintiff-Appellant,
[/size]

¶7. The meaning of § 29.99(11), Stats., is plain on its face. The first portion of the section unambiguously establishes four ways in which a person may violate the law while hunting deer. The sentence structure is a classic example of a list of items in a series separated by commas. "For hunting deer" is the corresponding phrase to each separate item in the series. [suP]2 [/suP]The final item in the series, "with the aid of an aircraft," is not separated by a comma because it is preceded by the coordinating conjunction "or," an accepted practice in English usage. See The Little, Brown Handbook 376 (7th ed. 1998).
Defining "secured" will be tricky, but how does onesecure a firearm "in a private motor vehicle or vessel" when the motor vehicle is a motorcycle?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

2a4all wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Now....we have to decide at least two things.

1. What does secured mean?

2. Does this apply to all vessels or just motor powered vessels?

in a private motor vehicle or vessel

I can thin of a few more pitfalls too:X

[size="+1"]No. 99-1712-CR [/size]
[size="+1"]STATE OF WISCONSIN IN COURT OF APPEALS [/size]
DISTRICT III
[size="+1"]State of Wisconsin, [/size]
[size="+1"]Plaintiff-Appellant,
[/size]

¶7. The meaning of § 29.99(11), Stats., is plain on its face. The first portion of the section unambiguously establishes four ways in which a person may violate the law while hunting deer. The sentence structure is a classic example of a list of items in a series separated by commas. "For hunting deer" is the corresponding phrase to each separate item in the series. [sup]2 [/sup]The final item in the series, "with the aid of an aircraft," is not separated by a comma because it is preceded by the coordinating conjunction "or," an accepted practice in English usage. See The Little, Brown Handbook 376 (7th ed. 1998).
Defining "secured" will be tricky, but how does onesecure a firearm "in a private motor vehicle or vessel" when the motor vehicle is a motorcycle?
Yep...and it looks like bicycles are out, I'm not sure about the Whizzer since it's classified as a motorized bicycle.

It shouldn't be an issue but there are a lot of cops that spent most of their school years with a jock tied on their head while being stuffed in their locker.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

hunter45 wrote:
nova wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
AbNo wrote:
Happy birthday. :p

Thanks. :D
Happy late birthday!

Thanks. You're not late at late all, today is my birthday...and it is also Earth Day. Happy Earth Day!
In that case,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

mz_5573073_bodyshot_300x400-1.gif

jegoodin

imported post

There is an old joke about the military definition of "secure".

If you tell Armysoldiers to "secure" a building, they willset up a check point at each entrance and ID and search all who enter.

If you tell Navy sailors to "secure" a building, they will turn out all the lights, lock the doors, and leave for the day.

If you tell the AirForce to "secure" a building, they will bid a 3 year contract for the building with 2 option years.

If you tell the Marines to "secure" a building, they will storm the building in full battle gear, do a room by room search and shoot anything that moves.

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

jegoodin wrote:

If you tell Armysoldiers to "secure" a building, they willset up a check point at each entrance and ID and search all who enter.

If you tell Navy sailors to "secure" a building, they will turn out all the lights, lock the doors, and leave for the day.

If you tell the AirForce to "secure" a building, they will bid a 3 year contract for the building with 2 option years.

If you tell the Marines to "secure" a building, they will storm the building in full battle gear, do a room by room search and shoot anything that moves.
HAHAHAHAHA :celebrate

AbNo

imported post

jegoodin wrote:

If you tell Armysoldiers to "secure" a building, they willset up a checkpoint with two men at each entrance, and four on the roof.

If you tell the AirForce to "secure" a building, three month lease with an option to buy.

If you tell the Marines to "secure" a building, they will blow up the building and storm the rubble, in full battle gear, shooting anything that moves.
How I heard this. :)

2a4all

imported post

Pinged my Senator (J.C. Miller)to vote for this bill (he's anti-gun), and got this response:

"I received your e-mail asking me to support Governor McDonnell’s amendment that would change the requirement that a handgun be stored in a locked container to one stored in a secured container and the amendment on a gun safety program for elementary school students.

This locked/secure amendment passed both the House and the Senate and will become law. I did not support this amendment. As you know, there is a great difference between locked and secured. My concern is that just having a firearm in a secured container, such as the compartment between the drivers and passenger’s seat, would make it too accessible to children.

Having the gun in a locked compartment adds another measure of security."

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

2a4all wrote:
Pinged my Senator (J.C. Miller)to vote for this bill (he's anti-gun), and got this response:

"...My concern is that just having a firearm in a secured container, such as the compartment between the drivers and passenger’s seat, would make it too accessible to children.

Oh, for crying out loud Senator. :banghead: If the parent has kids in the car he or she can locked the container - the new law won't keep them from doing so.

No, in the Senator's eyes we are all dolts except for the Senator, of course, and too stupid to lock things up when needed unless ordered to do so by a benevolent and all-seeing government. Makes you wonder how this because the greatest country on Earth with all of us being so helpless and stupid. :X

How very little the Senator knows us.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

VCDL President wrote:
2a4all wrote:

"...My concern is that just having a firearm in a secured container, such as the compartment between the drivers and passenger’s seat, would make it too accessible to children.

Oh, for crying out loud Senator. :banghead: If the parent has kids in the car he or she can locked the container - the new law won't keep them from doing so.

No, in the Senator's eyes we are all dolts except for the Senator, of course, and too stupid to lock things up when needed unless ordered to do so by a benevolent and all-seeing government. Makes you wonder how this because the greatest country on Earth with all of us being so helpless and stupid. :X

But...but,,,,it's for the children. What if my two old granddaughter takes my truck to the store and accidentally shoots someone with the gun in the glove box:lol::lol::banghead::lol:

AbNo

imported post

2a4all wrote:
"I received your e-mail asking me to support Governor McDonnell’s amendment that would change the requirement that a handgun be stored in a locked container to one stored in a secured container and the amendment on a gun safety program for elementary school students.

This locked/secure amendment passed both the House and the Senate and will become law. I did not support this amendment. As you know, there is a great difference between locked and secured. My concern is that just having a firearm in a secured container, such as the compartment between the drivers and passenger’s seat, would make it too accessible to children.

What a dirtbag.

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

peter nap wrote:
VCDL President wrote:
2a4all wrote:

But...but,,,,it's for the children. What if my two old granddaughter takes my truck to the store and accidentally shoots someone with the gun in the glove box:lol::lol::banghead::lol:
Making it about the children will allow any justification you would like to fill in.

big_bake

imported post

Ric in Richmond wrote:
So on a motorcycle in a tank bag or saddle bag should be ok??

The law specifically says IN a vehicle...not ON a vehicle.

as far as i can tell, it's in a secured container. to me that would include a saddle bag as long as the container itself is secured to the motorcycle. ie not a backpack bungeed to the fender that can fall off, or get stolen.

this essentially means to me that OCers can throw their gun in the glove box or console if they are going into a place they can not carry. no hassle of going around to the trunk and it won't be obvious to other people that you are disarming.

AbNo

imported post

big_bake wrote:
no hassle of going around to the trunk...
Good news for those of us that don't have one on our vehicles. :D

I was going to post an example of an ammo can mount in a Cherokee, to be used as a locked container (bolted to the unibody), but all I found was a jerk of an admin over at CherokeeForums.com. :(

big_bake

imported post

I drive a pickup, but by the time this bill is enacted I'll have my CHP and it won't matter. Still glad this helps those of us who don't have them.